• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best fielder ever

Slifer

International Captain
Exactly. Voting Viv in the same league as Ponting actually isn't that far fetched. Too bad some on this board don't know much about cricket pre-2000

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2:23 where he fetches the ball from a foot wide of off stump on the front dog and hits it over mid wicket for six.

JBMAC

State Captain
I have followed this thread with great interest and sometimes amusement (NOT derogatory) and seen how each of the posters have justified their selections. Some of the GREATEST fielders who have played this game of ours seem to have been omitted. Admittedly I go back a wee bit further than most in having played and followed the game.

Fielders Omitted

Cowper, Sheehan, Redpath, Dale, May, Dexter, D'Oliviera, Cowdrey(SNR), Kanhai, Nurse,Hunte, Kallicharan, Surti, Adcock, Greenidge, Ron Archer.

ANY one of the above from what I have seen should be placed above your listings in this thread. I started to wonder why? Then the penny dropped ,with a few exceptions not all of you have actually seen my list of players because there were no TV broadcasts or the commentary / pictures were quite sub standard to what they are now. So, I just thought I would throw in my two bobs worth for the sake of the exercise.:D

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I have followed this thread with great interest and sometimes amusement (NOT derogatory) and seen how each of the posters have justified their selections. Some of the GREATEST fielders who have played this game of ours seem to have been omitted. Admittedly I go back a wee bit further than most in having played and followed the game.

Fielders Omitted

Cowper, Sheehan, Redpath, Dale, May, Dexter, D'Oliviera, Cowdrey(SNR), Kanhai, Nurse,Hunte, Kallicharan, Surti, Adcock, Greenidge, Ron Archer.

ANY one of the above from what I have seen should be placed above your listings in this thread. I started to wonder why? Then the penny dropped ,with a few exceptions not all of you have actually seen my list of players because there were no TV broadcasts or the commentary / pictures were quite sub standard to what they are now. So, I just thought I would throw in my two bobs worth for the sake of the exercise.:D
The snag is the lack of footage and lack of shrieking commentators making out that these people are super human.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Quarterfinal 3 (of 4)

Andrew Symonds
AB deVilliers

Quarterfinal 4 (of 4)

Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards

Andrew Symonds and Ricky Ponting go through.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Semi Final 1

Vote for 1 player

Ricky Ponting
vs
Roger Harper

Semifinal 2

Vote for 1 player

Andrew Symonds
vs
Jonty Rhodes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting. Harper was a genius fielder though.

Second semi is really tough. Went for Rhodes narrowly.

Slifer

International Captain
Harper
Rhodes.

Harper was the perfect 12th man and could literally field anywhere. For a man to play so few tests and be mostly remembered for his fielding ability, says something about how good (great) he was.

Honorable mention to Gus Logie

Last edited: