• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best bowler ever, another contest. Nominations thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
we've had 9 people put in legitimate nominations so far. Only one bowler has featured in all 9 of those and is one away from being #1 seed.

cnerd123

likes this
Spinners underrated if only Warne and Murali are getting nom'd.
Given a typical bowling attack usually has 3 quicks and 1 spinners, it's unsurprising for a top 10 list to have just 2-3 spinners in it. Lot of people picking O'Reilly as the third spinner after Murali and Warne. Makes sense IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seeding is bollocks, should just be a free for all. If someone is the best then they'll win through no matter who they draw.

mr_mister

i dunno. say warne vs murali happens round 1 if we randomise it and a bunch of other big names run into each other before they're 'meant to'. you'll end up with an overachiever with a lucky draw making the final against someone who will destroy him

people were complaining about lara vsing sachin in the quarters and viv vsing grace in the final 16 in the other thread

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's more fun without seedings tbh. Lets get those big battles done early - it's gonna happen sooner or later. It's not like Murali would be Warne then lose to a 'lesser' bowler in the later stages anyways.

mr_mister

alright well, it'll make my job easier then sorting out the seeds. marshall and murali are both on 9 noms and if they both get nominated by the next dude there's already controversy in separating them..

so im for it if nobody objects. will make some interesting matches and prevent round 1 being 32 matches of 30-0

edit - also, bowlers are generally pretty hard to split compared to batsman, far more variables when you think about it. so maybe seeding is a little silly since we're getting 64 ATG bowlers anyway in here(or close to ATG)

Last edited:

jaideep

U19 12th Man
McGrath
Marshall
Barnes
Warne
Murali
Steyn
Ambrose
Hadlee
Holding
Garner

Last edited:

mr_mister

Since we're doing away with seedings(or at least my method for seedings.... and probably seedings entirely) I'm lowering the noms required to 8 since there's 64 places to fill.

Qualified:

Hadlee
Murali
Marshall
Warne
Ambrose
McGrath
Barnes
Wasim
Lillee
Imran

O'Reilly needs 1 more, the rest need at least 2

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Leaving out everyone already qualified:

Bill O'Reilly
Dale Steyn
Fred Trueman
Ray Lindwall
Jim Laker
Waqar Younis
Alan Davidson
George Lohmann
Clarrie Grimmett
Fred Spofforth

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Should be seeding though. Even if just 8. Can't determine the top 8 or 4 legitimately (as we did with the batsmen) without some seeding.

cnerd123

likes this
Should be seeding though. Even if just 8. Can't determine the top 8 or 4 legitimately (as we did with the batsmen) without some seeding.
Could always announce the frist 8 to be nominated as the 'unofficial top 8' and just carry on the polls as unseeded.