• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this the end for Martin Love?

Craig

World Traveller
His chances of playing Test cricket again may have dropped after not being picked in the Test squad. However, Love should never give up and hope a few players get injured and/or lose form to hope to get in and he himself score more and more runs. And the thing against him will be age as he is turning 30 soon.

I would imagine he might be on standby just in case there is a couple of injuries and get sent home. But they might have Michael Clarke penicled in.

At least if he never plays Test cricket again, he will always have a Baggy Green Cap and has made a Test ton, something a lot of good batsmen have never been able to achieve (ie Jamie Siddons).

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
I believe that Love would be first choice if say Hayden or Langer were injured. Otherwise he's there for the sights of Sri Lanka...

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Love would definately be an "injury plugger" of a player right now....much like everyone else on the fringes of the Test team. But he got a Baggy Green and got some runs, which both he deserved after such a long service in domestic cricket.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not there because Lehmann's a better player of spin, they couldn't really drop Katich and Symonds gives them another bowling option. Love will be back, but I feel he's really been quite harshly treated, especially since Katich's bowling was only effective against Zimbabwe. Symonds gives them more cover in-case their bowling attack doesn't come off, but I wouldn't want Katich in there for his spin bowling, and he's only really batted in Australia with success.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're right Rik - Love has been harshly treated. I don't think his test career is over, but if he doesn't play test cricket again before the end of next summer it may be. I think he would be in-line to take Martyn's spot if he were to get dropped, but I don't think that will happen unless Martyn doesn't score runs before the end of the Zimbabwe tour. As long as he keeps scoring runs at domestic level he SHOULDN'T be forgoten.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I just dont think Love impressed the selectors when he had his chances despite the runs he made.

His avrage of 46 is not that good when you think that his it was under 30 before he made that unbeaten hundered against Bangladesh. He was droped twice before he reached fifty in that innings.

I dont think he has looked very good at the crease on any occasion during his test carear to date and he is deffinatly not suited to batting as low as number six.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Katich in there for his spin bowling, and he's only really batted in Australia with success.

well hes only really played well 1 test outside Australia hasnt he??

as for his bowling, he did take a few wickets against India, 2 2 wicket hauls and one other wicket, twas only in sydney where he went for alot of runs without taking a wicket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's also the fact that now Lehmann is back, Katich's bowling is not a major issue IMO, and so he's in based on his batting more (if that makes sense)

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
There's also the fact that now Lehmann is back, Katich's bowling is not a major issue IMO, and so he's in based on his batting more (if that makes sense)
So if Katich doesnt score runs, he could be out?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, in theory he can.

His role in the team has changed with the return of Lehmann, so he now needs to score runs.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Do you think they may be tempted to go with Clarke any time soon?
The temptation will always be there but hopefully in the short term at least they'll have the brains to refrain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully.
History has shown Aussie selectors tending to be best at resisting unwanted temptation, but even they haven't managed it every time.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
So if Katich doesnt score runs, he could be out?

this series i doubt it, but in the scheme of things is ANY batsman doesn't score runs he should be dropped.

as for Clarke, wait and see how he goes in England (hopefully he will be able to play for than 2 FC games over there)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, in theory he can.

His role in the team has changed with the return of Lehmann, so he now needs to score runs.
Katich is a much better spinner than Lehmann. He will be first choice over lehmann to bowl. It will be interesting to see what the role of Andrew Symonds will be. He might do a funky miller.