• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this the end for Martin Love?

tooextracool

International Coach
Rik said:
Symonds gives them more cover in-case their bowling attack doesn't come off, but I wouldn't want Katich in there for his spin bowling, and he's only really batted in Australia with success.
if u had watched the final test against india at sydney u wouldnt have too many doubts abt his ability against spin-afterall thats what australia need in SL, players who can play spin. he used his feet very well and batted a bit like chanderpaul. but playing against murali in SL is a completely different proposition.however im sure if anybody deserves a place in the final XI its katich

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Love has just got to keep his chin up and keep scoring runs. His time will come. I agree that no. 6 is not his spot. I would love to see him bat at 3 with Ponting moving back to 4. Although Ponting is successful at 3 he doesn't possess the normal game of a number 3 and historically your best batsman should bat at 4.

Clarke needs more exposure at first class cricket. Unfortunately he has only got to play 2 FC games during this Australian season. He needs more. Is he going to England in the off season. It may do him some good.

I don't think Katich will play the first test. Symonds will get the nod. Martyn is almost on his last chance so he needs to perform.

My side would be

Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Lehmann, Martyn, Gilchrist, Symonds, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, MacGill

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
if u had watched the final test against india at sydney u wouldnt have too many doubts abt his ability against spin-afterall thats what australia need in SL, players who can play spin. he used his feet very well and batted a bit like chanderpaul. but playing against murali in SL is a completely different proposition.however im sure if anybody deserves a place in the final XI its katich
If anyone deserves a place in the squad it's Lehmann, especially with his record and career. Symonds follows with Katich, both deserving though how Love can score 100* and get dropped surprises me, seriously the guy didn't score much before, but you drop a guy when he's not scoring, not when he's hit 100*, and if there's not a space, bring him back when there is one.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
If anyone deserves a place in the squad it's Lehmann, especially with his record and career. Symonds follows with Katich, both deserving though how Love can score 100* and get dropped surprises me, seriously the guy didn't score much before, but you drop a guy when he's not scoring, not when he's hit 100*, and if there's not a space, bring him back when there is one.
I dont know what the selectors were thinking but perhaps the fact he made a 100 actauly counted against him??

Sound's weird I know but it was one of the worst hundreds I have seen by an Australian batsman for ages not only that he was droped twice before he reached 50 and before that innings his average was under 30.

Basicly one not out hundred that could easly have ended early in his innings is the only reason his test avrage is not low to mid 30s.

And Lehmann is in the squad.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
So he probably would of been left out regardless?
If Lehmann was still injured or got 14 ducks on his return I'd say Love would be going. But with Lehmann there to add experience and Simon Katich batting well they decided to go with Symonds because he he can either cover for either with injury or replace one of them to give Australia a third seamer option. Ponting seems to favour Lehmann, so if Symonds was going to play I'd say Katich would be the man to go, which would have a slight touch of irony to it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
but you drop a guy when he's not scoring, not when he's hit 100*, and if there's not a space, bring him back when there is one.
His problem was that Katich replaced Lehmann because he offered a bowling option, but then performed too well consistently to be left out for Love when Lehmann returned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I dont think either of them are any good as spinners IMO.
In typical Sri Lankan conditions I'm confident Lehmann can be a handful.
Katich, on the other hand, isn't accurate enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
I dont know what the selectors were thinking but perhaps the fact he made a 100 actauly counted against him??

Sound's weird I know but it was one of the worst hundreds I have seen by an Australian batsman for ages not only that he was droped twice before he reached 50 and before that innings his average was under 30.

Basicly one not out hundred that could easly have ended early in his innings is the only reason his test avrage is not low to mid 30s.
You can't possibly be saying that the scorebook might just be lying, could you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
You can't possibly be saying that the scorebook might just be lying, could you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Statistics dont lie.

All I am saying is his avrage is inflated alot by one innings that was not very good.

The stats give the impression he has played better than he actualy has but thats all.

BTW I never argued that statistics can be missleading like you have suggested with say Gilchrist for example I just dont think in Gilchrist's case that is true.