• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

Marius

International Debutant
Schultz was a prima donna c**t, who thought he was gods gift to bowling, his control was not actually that good. Even without the knee troubles I think he would have been found wanting and dropped from SA team pretty quickly. Wayward Hayward was fast but was quickly found wanting against top batsmen. Parnell has been the biggest disappointment but part of that is he was billed as a genuine all-rounder and was just never good enough. Ngam was the unluckiest; he was a true natural athletic fast bowler who already showed great control at 20 years of age. His continuous stress fractures from brittle bones had nothing to do with ability or determination and everything to do with malnutrition when he was growing up.

As far as Rabada goes, he already has decent variation, will be in the side before long (he is good enough) and hopefully they sort out the few bowling action kinks and keep him healthy.
Yeah, Ngam was very unlucky. Apparently his brittle bones were as a result of malnutrition when he was a kid. Apparently he's very involved in cricket development in the Eastern Cape which is good to hear.

I think Rabada will, if he stays injury free, go far. Steyn's maybe got two years left at the top and Morkel and Philander are also also both on the wrong side of 30. Rabada could be South Africa's spearhead within two years.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Schultz was a prima donna c**t, who thought he was gods gift to bowling, his control was not actually that good. Even without the knee troubles I think he would have been found wanting and dropped from SA team pretty quickly. Wayward Hayward was fast but was quickly found wanting against top batsmen. Parnell has been the biggest disappointment but part of that is he was billed as a genuine all-rounder and was just never good enough. Ngam was the unluckiest; he was a true natural athletic fast bowler who already showed great control at 20 years of age. His continuous stress fractures from brittle bones had nothing to do with ability or determination and everything to do with malnutrition when he was growing up.

As far as Rabada goes, he already has decent variation, will be in the side before long (he is good enough) and hopefully they sort out the few bowling action kinks and keep him healthy.
Hmm interesting assessment on Schultz, admittedly my on clear memory of him was vs AUS in 97/98 - in which he always impressed me.

Personally I was always a bit surprised Hayward didn't make it at the highest level, when he first emerged in ENG 99/00, he had all the tools IMO - not much different from M Morkel when he started. But as you said, never got his radar right over time.

Marius

International Debutant
Hmm interesting assessment on Schultz, admittedly my on clear memory of him was vs AUS in 97/98 - in which he always impressed me.

Personally I was always a bit surprised Hayward didn't make it at the highest level, when he first emerged in ENG 99/00, he had all the tools IMO - not much different from M Morkel when he started. But as you said, never got his radar right over time.
Did he even tour Aus then?

I remember him being injured for that tour.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember Schultz being absolutely awesome. Accuracy wasn't his strength but it's a weird thing to criticize him for since he was so quick and mean anyway that he got lots of wickets. His tour of SL was amazing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Did he even tour Aus then?

I remember him being injured for that tour.
Yep.He only played 9 matches in five years. Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo (I can't believe I just looked up Brett Schultz record!!)

I don`t particularly want to get into a discussion about the man because I could never stand him... cricket ability was there. I think that due to his on/off career people have a little bit of a rose tinted view of the man, because he did produce some outstanding performances at international level... but I also saw him produce absolute cr*p at franchise/provincial level. However, my real problem was that his attitude was terrible; he felt he deserved rather than had to earn his potential (this is from an outsider looking in, not knowing the man personally). An example is, he had knee problems his entire career, but always appeared a little overweight (he liked to party)... this could be a chicken and egg situation where he could not work out, but from what I remember he did not try look after himself but would whine when things went wrong (a little K Pietersen 'ish). So my tinted glasses are a little less rosy and more blackish... he probably deserves to be some where in-between..

Top_Cat

I liked Ngam, personally the most shocking part about him was where on Earth all that pace came from. Really easy action so was really sad to hear he had so many physical troubles. Hayward's big problem was that he moved maybe three balls in his career.

The thing I like about Rabada isn't that he's quick, it's that he's consistenty quick. Would definitely like to see him put on more movement than pace from here. Too hard to tell what his future is for the reasons outlined by others.

Marius

International Debutant
Played in the 3rd Test of the Aussie tour to SA prior to that one.
Oh yes, fair enough.

Just looked at the scorecard for the game, one of the few times Darryl Cullinan got into double figures against the Aussies.

Top_Cat

Think he was probably more referring to ODI's maybe? Seem to remember Cullinan winning a few of those for SA off his own bat.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just having a little dig at DC's record against Australia. He should have been more influential in contests btwn the sides back then. Australia's domination of him contributed to besting SA over that period . His failure is explicable on reflection as he faced McGrath, McDermott and Gillespie as well as Warne.

Marius

International Debutant
Just having a little dig at DC's record against Australia. He should have been more influential in contests btwn the sides back then. Australia's domination of him contributed to besting SA over that period . His failure is explicable on reflection as he faced McGrath, McDermott and Gillespie as well as Warne.
Yeah, agreed.

He was a really good player against other sides, probably my favourite player growing up. And he did well against all kinds of bowling - he was the only one who resisted Devon Malcolm in his 9/57 in 1994 and got a century out of a total of 200 in SL, with Murali at the peak of his powers.

He had a mental block against Australia, not just Warne.

SeamUp

International Coach
Played in the 3rd Test of the Aussie tour to SA prior to that one.

Loved Brett Schultz for SA. Bryson/Schultz was an EP opening bowler combo I did love to hate being a WP supporter though.

But in that footage, the best part was seeing Big Mac's bucket hands at slip again :) Oh the finer details and quirks of our game cricket :laugh:

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
We going to need to find a fellow spearhead for him in test cricket.

With Dale, Morne and Vernon all in the 30's now. All 3 could carry on for 2 or 3 years easily as they have been looked after but after that it will be interesting to see who heads the pack. Right now it is Abbott and Morris but both being 28 may just come too late but they could be still in their peak years (28-32).

COBRAS
Dane PATERSON (26), Beuran HENDRICKS (25), Wayne PARNELL (26), Tshepo MOREKI (22), Lizaad WILLIAMS (22)
DOLPHINS
Kyle ABBOTT (28), Mathew PILLANS (24), Daryn DUPAVILLON (21), Rabian ENGELBRECHT (23), Craig KIRSTEN (21)
KNIGHTS
Corne DRY (22), Duanne OLIVIER (23)
LIONS
Hardus VILJOEN (26), Keith DUDGEON (20), Carmi LE ROUX (22)
TITANS
Chris MORRIS (28), Marchant DE LANGE (25), Junior DALA (26), Lungi NGIDI (19)
SA U19
Brandon GLOVER (18), Lutho SIPAMLA (17), Conor MCKERR (17)