• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kagiso Rabada

Kagiso Rabada to take 300 test wickets

• Total voters

SeamUp

International Coach
Number of balls bowled in Tests by age of 22 yrs 291 days:
Ambrose: 0
Donald: 0
McGrath: 0
Steyn: 601
Ntini: 752
Pollock: 899
Walsh: 1028
Hadlee: 1409
Anderson: 2034
Marshall: 2094
Holding: 2910
Wasim: 4975
*RABADA: 5254*
Serious Company for someone so young

Dendarii

International Debutant
Rabada has now played 28 matches:
I: 51
W: 135
BBI: 7/112
BBM: 13/144
Ave: 21.45
E/R: 3.30
S/R: 38.9
5w: 9
10w: 4

Steyn after 28 matches had the following:
I: 52
W: 140
BBI: 6/49
BBM: 10/91
Ave: 23.18
E/R: 3.63
S/R: 38.2
10w: 2

Obviously Steyn has gone on to play another 58 matches and take 279 more wickets, so Rabada has a long way to go to come anywhere near to matching Steyn's exploits. But if he can keep it up (and very importantly if his body can hold up), could he end up being better than Steyn? A couple of years ago it would be ridiculous to consider any doing that, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rabada has now played 28 matches:
I: 51
W: 135
BBI: 7/112
BBM: 13/144
Ave: 21.45
E/R: 3.30
S/R: 38.9
10w: 4

Steyn after 28 matches had the following:
I: 52
W: 140
BBI: 6/49
BBM: 10/91
Ave: 23.18
E/R: 3.63
S/R: 38.2
10w: 2

Obviously Steyn has gone on to play another 58 matches and take 279 more wickets, so Rabada has a long way to go to come anywhere near to matching Steyn's exploits. But if he can keep it up (and very importantly if his body can hold up), could he end up being better than Steyn? A couple of years ago it would be ridiculous to consider any doing that, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
Brilliant stuff, especially the SRs.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rabada could potentially become the best fast bowler in history at this rate. He's a beast and it sucks we won't see him in the next two tests.

Slifer

International Captain
Physical specimen too. Very proportionate and athletic.
And he could bowl anything: swing, full, short, cutters etc. Just needs to improve his away record imo and he'll be just fine. Was moderate in UK, awesome in Oz and woeful in NZ.

burr

State Vice-Captain
His numbers are mind boggling. I think he has surpassed Ben Stokes as number one exciting talent in world (test) cricket. Much more likeable too.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He puts a tremendous amount of thought into his bowling for someone his age. Doesn't seem to leave much left for other things though.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
More career ten-fours than Glenn McGrath already (at age 22 for crying out loud), feels like we're seeing the start of something seriously special. 300 easily and wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up as the all time leading pace man for wickets. and as pointed out above, seems like a cool dude.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not disagreeing with his insane performances of Rabada but on McG, that has to be put in some context because he had Warne at the other end bashing his way through 700+ wickets and double the number of overs at the other end for his entire career. Rabada’s not had to share his wickets in quite the same way. No Steyn for most of his Tests and Philander, whilst keeping his average down, has, I think, only been taking about 3 per Test in that time.

Which is no criticism of Rabada. Quite the opposite, really. Someone has had to set up and take the wickets on offer and he’s done a ****ing brilliant job. Such a top bowler to watch too, ridiculous skills.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
he's one of those guys you just hope stays fit and in form despite knowing he's going to break your heart by dismantling your team at some point.

Larwood's_boots

U19 Debutant
Not disagreeing with his insane performances of Rabada but on McG, that has to be put in some context because he had Warne at the other end bashing his way through 700+ wickets and double the number of overs at the other end for his entire career. Rabada’s not had to share his wickets in quite the same way. No Steyn for most of his Tests and Philander, whilst keeping his average down, has, I think, only been taking about 3 per Test in that time.

Which is no criticism of Rabada. Quite the opposite, really. Someone has had to set up and take the wickets on offer and he’s done a ****ing brilliant job. Such a top bowler to watch too, ridiculous skills.
I always maintained that Warne was better than Murali despite the fewer wickets on the same grounds (having to share them with McG), so you're absolutely right- I'm not saying he's better than McGrath overall but could easily end up with better numbers. He certainly won't win as many games, and that's basically what it's all about at the end of the day isn't it.