• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, both are clear by enough points to call it.

The Final

Sir Garfield Sobers vs Sir Vivian Richards

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I will abstain for now.

Just to.close to call for me. Will I've it some more thought. Leaning towards Vivian though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't look at the final as a head to head tbh. Rather who of the two fits my criteria out of what I want from the GOAT (Brian aside cos he's stupid). I look for something unique to try and separate one player from the rest because the top 5-6 batsmen are so close together and have such wonderfully complete records that its an exercise in futility to find our who's actually 'better'. Instead, I look at Viv's sheer destructive force as something truly unique... Or relatively rare atleast, replicated by very few if any. Don't think I get that from any other batsman in that top tier.

So,Viv.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How do you separate them?
Hard to split their absolute peaks, but Sobers maintained silliness for much longer. Viv fell away a bit which I try not to hold against him when comparing him to someone who only had a short career, but Sobers's career was even longer than Viv's and he maintained his near-60 calender averages almost right to the end.