• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

cnerd123

likes this
Interesting how highly Kallis was rated a couple of years ago - http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/59341-best-after-don.html
It's the same thing we had with Ponting during his peak.

You can only really properly analyse a player once their career is over I reckon. During their peak, you get caught up with all the hype, and kind of make the mistake of assuming that their peak-level of batsmanship is going to remain their standard-level of batsmanship. So then when they do finally decline, we start seeing them as more human, and our valuation of them drops.

We'll see this with the new breed of batsmen too - Kohli is already in many peoples ODI AG XI/Second XI, for example, while ABDV is the GOAT ODI batsman. Kane Williamson is close to making the NZ ATG XI. These aren't necessarily false claims; but it will be interesting to see how they will hold up as these players' careers progress.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel very common and uninteresting now, because - Grace aside - my top four batsmen after Bradman are exactly these four blokes. However, if I have to pick:

Tendulkar
Hobbs

cnerd123

likes this
Stark contrast between the Sachin/Hobbs camp and the Sobers/Viv. Reflects the contrasting ideologies at work here. Picking based on level of dominance asserted at their peak vs overall career acheivements

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Stark contrast between the Sachin/Hobbs camp and the Sobers/Viv. Reflects the contrasting ideologies at work here. Picking based on level of dominance asserted at their peak vs overall career acheivements
Yes, the votes are too close. We might as well finish the contest stating that these 4 are equal second best batsmen.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yes, the votes are too close. We might as well finish the contest stating that these 4 are equal second best batsmen.
Nah 15-11 and 14-12 are enough of a margin. Going by this logic we should have stopped at the last round because Lara and Tendulkar was a close race.