• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, nomination thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, it seems to a pretty hotly debated issue around here and amongst cricket fans in general since Bradman came on the scene. So I'll make a 5 round, 32 player knockout tournament. I'll give about 2 days for each round, with every match in a round taking up a single thread.

Use any criteria you like when voting, but try to take everything important into account.

The following I consider to be auto-contestants, they don't need nominations to be in the discussion:

Greg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Ponting

Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton

Headley
Weekes
Walcott
Sobers
Viv Richards
Lara

Graeme Pollock

Gavaskar
Tendulkar
Dravid

Miandad

Sangakkara

That gives 18... with 14 places left to be filled. I assume there won't be too much argument to any of these 18 making the cut. I know it raises some questions such as if X is here then why can't Y be here? Well I tried to take the forum's opinions into account. Poor ol' Kallis seems to get a lot of hate around here for his boring/slow style of batting, and maybe people don't view him as worthy of the top 32. But I doubt anyone will say any of the above players don't deserve a chance in this thing. Kallis will probably make the cut anyway. I also couldn't justify Trumper and Grace as auto-noms, but expect both to make the final 32. Nourse and Sutcliffe were two more I nearly threw in but couldn't justify it based on the fact I don't see them get as much praise as the above listed. Barry Richards is another who I couldn't let waltz in due to his limited his test career, but by all means nominate him if you want. This is not test specific, but people who tried and failed in tests despite dominating FC (Hick) should be viewed in a different light to Barry obviously. Anyway I'm sure I've made my point.

Okay so, simply nominate 5 batsman who aren't in here. You can double nominate another 5(and they can be the same 5) after 12 hours, because I want this to be quick. Anyway once a player reaches 10 noms they make the final 32.

I'm nearly positive I've missed a huge name with my 16 auto-qualifiers. so if there is a few people thinking so and so definitely, undoutably, deserves to be up in that class of batsman, state their name

Last edited:

mr_mister

you can do 4 more!

I'm interested to see how many of the current young guns make it in here

akilana

International 12th Man
If Sanga and Dravid are there then Kallis should be there. Dravid was even more boring and slower than Kallis but I forgot this is CW..go ahead.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it's second best batsman ever, nominate Barry Richards and WG Grace. If it's specifically second best Test batsman, nominate Trumper and Border.

mr_mister

well... i'll count that as nomination for Grace. Directed @ howe

@akilana, it's basically due to some arguments often made about Kallis I've encountered here, like he couldn't shift gears etc

Last edited:

mr_mister

If it's second best batsman ever, nominate Barry Richards and WG Grace. If it's specifically second best Test batsman, nominate Trumper and Border.
well like... where do you throw in someone like Michael Bevan? Anywhere? I don't want it to be specifally tests, yes. So Grace and Richards have a chance.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Sanga and Dravid are there then Kallis should be there. Dravid was even more boring and slower than Kallis but I forgot this is CW..go ahead.
Then nominate him ffs you whiner. He isn't disqualified from the competition. But I forgot you're akilana and you need to come on here and have a wahhhh about kallis not having his dong sucked enough.

mr_mister

I'm going to be very diplomatic and aid those who seemingly should already be in here, as well as a couple of left field picks, personal faves of mine

Grace
Trumper
Kallis
Greenidge
Steve Smith

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis, Herbert Suttcliffe, Barrington, Border

Before Greenidge and Steven Smith surely.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I think all the following batsmen should definitely be included (the bold ones are my nominations):

W.G. Grace
Victor Trumper
K.S. Ranjitsinhji
Herbert Sutcliffe
Denis Compton
Neil Harvey
Ken Barrington
Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
A.B. de Villiers

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Definitely nominate Grace. I'll try to think of four others soon.

My nominations will probably be a bit wacky because of the nature of this. I definitely think Dravid was better than Bevan for example but I think you could make a better case for Bevan being the second best batsman ever than you could Dravid, because Dravid was just a slightly lesser version of lots of other players by conventional criteria. Bevan has a bit of a unique claim that could theoretically see someone think he was the second best batsman if they felt ODIs held a lot more significance to that question than most other people.