• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ideal Number of overseas players in County Cricket

Ideal number of overseas players in County Cricket

Votes: 2 8.3%

Votes: 7 29.2%

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Club cricket, obviously, is the most important part of all - because it's where the players simply have to start playing.
But it's no real use in terms of attracting people to watch. Nor is the domestic First-Class game.
That doesn't mean "county cricket is dead", though. It's a fact of cricket anywhere in The World - the domestic First-Class game isn't a spectator sport. England won't change that - but the game below Test level will always be imperative as far as playing standards are concerned.
i cant see why measures cant be taken to make county cricket more attractive to the spectator though...just beacuse domestic cricket doesnt attract spectators around the world, doesnt mean England cant take a lead and use a bit of long term vision,and try and make it more attractive...dont ask me how that can be done...but one way it wont happen is by getting rid of overseas players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England simply haven't got the cash to invest in anything that might make it more attactive to spectators.
Anyway, I can't help doubting it would work. Because plenty of countries have plenty of stuff England doesn't - eg India and Pakistan's cricket-mad population.
Incidentally, I've never advocated getting rid of overseas players, simply said that the vast numbers we've got ATM are unsustainable.

unregistreduser

Cricket Spectator
I don't think by restricting clubs to only a certain number of international players in County cricket will have the desired result on the game of cricket in England.

For the standard of the game to rise in England, the profile of the game must first rise. Now that can be done in a number of ways - either be it through getting cricket involved with more schools around the country, or by getting bigger name players to play in the game for the short term, because it is the long term that really matters.

In effect, the higher quality cricket being played in England, the better, and if that means clubs need to have 3-5 international players, then that is what they need. As an aspiring cricketer myself, I understand the struggles that many of the youth cricketers may face, but let's not be selfish. Cricket is a game to be loved, and we must remember that.

As a result, cricket in England will be better off than what it is currently. As some of you have previously mentioned, cricketers learn more and faster from playing with quality players, which will make the national side far more competitive. To the person who believes that by letting players from overseas play in england is effectively training them, what a load of codswollop, they are training us more than we are training them.

Craig

World Traveller
unregistreduser said:
I don't think by restricting clubs to only a certain number of international players in County cricket will have the desired result on the game of cricket in England.

For the standard of the game to rise in England, the profile of the game must first rise. Now that can be done in a number of ways - either be it through getting cricket involved with more schools around the country, or by getting bigger name players to play in the game for the short term, because it is the long term that really matters.
I think attitudes need to change and I believe up to 30% of schoold sont play any form of cricket. I could be wrong on this figure. Of course if you get a private school education, all the better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
unregistreduser said:

That, honestly, won't help raise the profile - the only way to do that is for the national team to be succesful. County cricket is not something that will attract potential supporters and players to the game.
In effect, the higher quality cricket being played in England, the better, and if that means clubs need to have 3-5 international players, then that is what they need. As an aspiring cricketer myself, I understand the struggles that many of the youth cricketers may face, but let's not be selfish. Cricket is a game to be loved, and we must remember that.

As a result, cricket in England will be better off than what it is currently. As some of you have previously mentioned, cricketers learn more and faster from playing with quality players, which will make the national side far more competitive. To the person who believes that by letting players from overseas play in england is effectively training them, what a load of codswollop, they are training us more than we are training them.
They are training us only if we are willing to learn.
From all reports, far too many county players are unwilling to learn. Until we change that, nothing else will have any effect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I think attitudes need to change and I believe up to 30% of schoold sont play any form of cricket. I could be wrong on this figure. Of course if you get a private school education, all the better.
The better in terms of cricket, maybe, but some would argue not in terms of other aspects!
Even so, cricket in schools, private schools, has been downgraded alarmingly in recent years, principally by greater emphasis on exams, the selling-off of playing-fields and the paperwork that absorbs teachers' time and energy.
The future of grass-roots cricket in England is at the club level more than ever. It is imperative that ECB act, now, to ensure both private and state schools have the maximum incentive to get kids playing stuff like the game and hopefully being intregued enough to want to try it again, and then getting clubs to take advantage of this.
Full credit to them, there is definate evidence they have realised this need and acted upon it. Now all we can do is hope it works.

Craig

World Traveller
Any club that decides to sell off their ground can not call themselves cricket supporters instead greedy fools.

del cazzo di medra.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Any club that decides to sell off their ground can not call themselves cricket supporters instead greedy fools.

del cazzo di medra.
What if the ground is in a rainy area with the tendency to retain water, surrounded by refineries, in the middle of a key traffic terminal and with gophers living under the surface?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No choice perhaps. Or maybe those problems weren't there at the time and there wasn't the foresight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:

del cazzo di medra.
Well I'm no expert at Italian so maybe you could translate that for me?
Very true they can't call themselves cricket fans, sadly the pressure on schools these days means it's of times a neccesity. A real shame, but it's hard to put too much blame on them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, that genial old trick!
If no-one knows you're swearing, no-one can do anything about it. :D :P