• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag retires

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like, umm, erm...Pujara and Dravid totally count, right? Oh and I have a soft spot for Ramesh after his hilarious run out by Greg Blewett in the 1999/2000 series.

Seriously, India has this amazing ability to produce dislikable or utterly nondescript openers. Sehwag being the one who bucks the trend, and I don't like change (or people belting around Aussies on Boxing Day) :ph34r:

I said good test openers... :p

Wait till VJ gets your boys again on a boxing day test... :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For the sake of interpretation, 'FTB' as a pejorative definitely classes as 'borderline troll' posting. Also, key point -- if you want to discuss if Sehwag was a FTB or not, have that chat in one of the many "Was Sehwag a FTB"-style threads. Not a retirement thread.
Just to clarify so that I'm not misinterpreting, are you saying under new CW moderation standards using the term FTB is bordering troll posting and the use of term is no longer condoned by posters?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That list of quotes on Sehwag at cricinfo is pure gold. The one where he says "I have a plan" which is basically him smashing the reverse swinging ball out the ground lmfao, only Sehwag.

I remember him face palming Monty Panesar during that Chennai innings where Monty appealed for a LBW when the ball pitched outside leg. Everyone had a chuckle :laugh:

Why is it that there's barely any YT vids for Viru's innings though, kinda lame.
Is that from when he was playing County Cricket? Think that's my favourite Sehwag story.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't say you were.
Nor was I banned for any period of the last 5 years either using today's date as a starting point to count back. Any moderator who was involved in what I still consider a unfair ban can confirm this, plus site owner James Nixon.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is the pits.

Just to clarify so that I'm not misinterpreting, are you saying under new CW moderation standards using the term FTB is bordering troll posting and the use of term is no longer condoned by posters?
Under the "new" moderation standards that have been in place for several years now, using pejoratives to sledge a batsman in his own retirement thread where people are trying to celebrate his career is not "bordering" troll posting, it is flat-out troll posting and will not be condoned at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Let's try this again. No more bull**** about whether Sehwag was an FTB or not and no more discussion of the history of CW moderation, please. This is a retirement thread for one of the finest batsmen of the modern era; keep it that way.

EDIT: That means I'm going to delete any more posts on the "topic", guys.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
OK guys... time to get this back on track. Favorite SehWAG memories and innings...

For me, Galle obviously tops the list but have a special place for that ridiculous 293 or whatever he scored in a single day against Murali and Mendis. I know Murali at that stage was just a very good bowler and not the great one he was for so long and Mendis had been worked out by then but boy, just do not imagine any player who will be able to do what he did that day. Not that no one else will have that ability to score that much but the mindset to keep attacking all day, was just astounding.

EDIT: I see OS already posted that video earlier in the thread. Damn phone browsing.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My favourite memories of him are that day v SL and his pair at Edgbaston. Sums him up really, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was there for Sehwag's 195 in Melbourne on Boxing Day. He hit a 6 at 189 to get to 195 off Katich. Then tried to hit another one to get his double ton and got caught.

Classic Viru.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There was some confusion about the authenticity of the news earlier..and I thought it was a hoax? Anyway now that its official..

Just wanted to say that between the period 03-10, a good 6-7 years, Sehwag would consistently make the Current World XI, every team wanted an opener like him, and I guess now he is an almost certainty in ATG India XI.

In many ways, he was to India what Steyn, Wasim, McGrath were to their teams by knocking out half the side in the space of a session at times, Sehwag would achieve that by getting a hundred in the morning session, and completely obliterating the opposition in the process. It is no co incidence that India's rise to number 1 was with Sehwag's peak and India's fall from that position was also with Sehwag's decline.

Opening in a test match will always be Pre Sehwag and Post Sehwag now.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Another quote that I like was after he scored 293. He said something like 'my team mates said the great thing about my innings was that I hit the good balls as well, but for me, I just hit the bad balls'

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why are you still posting in this thread? And Chappell said a lot of good things about his batting that you have conveniently ignored in your "summary".

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Why are you still posting in this thread? And Chappell said a lot of good things about his batting that you have conveniently ignored in your "summary".
Is there a forum rule that says I can't post in this thread? The moderators said just pay tribute to him and that's what I did regarding positing video of my favourite innings with him the 319 on previous page & this post regarding chappell.

I was clearly referring to a specific point in his overall summary. That is part of his career that can't be ignored when paying tribute to him when once reflects on the "style" aspect of Sehwag's batting.

I'm sure Mr Gaurav Karla is a big Sehwag fan/admirer like any Indian cricket fan in the world, so the fact that Gaurav Karla posed the question makes it a very balanced tribute interview.

Last edited: