• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag retires

indiaholic

International Captain
I was legit pissed at him when he would attempt those drives when the ball was swinging. I basically feel that the idea that players shouldn't play according to the situation and should just express themselves to be absolute horse ****... Remember Dravid saying in a press conference around that time that you had a responsibility to the team and it was just selfish to say that you will always do whatever you are comfortable with.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'd take all of Sewag's bored batting for all the times he did what it takes to not get bored and won India games - or at least provided the team with a likely win that the rest of them could fail to achieve. India already had Tendulkar and Dravid to steady ships and be very consistent. Sewag was a perfect fit for the middle order that India team had.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah sure that's a fine point of view. All my point is you don't excuse Sehwag getting out cos he was bored or cbf as a reason not to criticise his record. Its not a free pass.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha its funny, but let's just be clear here. That doesn't make him a better batsman, and its not an excuse. Yeah India were 1/297 when he did it, but its hardly like India have never collapsed before.

I love Sehwag, but if you get out being bored its funny but if that hurts your average overseas then you cop it on the chin when people criticise you for your **** average overseas.
I don't see the relation at all, how was his innings at home going to hurt his away average?

Sehwag essentially had reached a point where he was a bit tired and had a runner, so it was either him going for a massive slog and getting out or just giving his wicket away without the slog, he obviously felt at that point that he didn't have enough energy to make a significant contribution afterwards and so it's better to let the next guy in score runs. The fact that he choose to give his wicket instead of taking a risk to get runs in the process is the admirable part, most conventional batsmen would obviously have tried to loot as many runs before eventually getting out somehow whereas Sehwag didn't bother with that, if the match situation was different and India were in trouble then yeah sure criticize him for not maximize his run scoring potential, but India were in a commanding position and he could afford to do what he did at the time.

Also the other nagpur example you brought in is hardly relateable, that was not a case of Sehwag getting bored, it was simply him playing a casual shot to a wide delivery, the previous two wide deliveries he smashed for 4's in the same over so idk how someone can pick on him for that.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't see the relation at all, how was his innings at home going to hurt his away average?
I was talking generally there obviously.

On the rest of your post, I don't necessarily agree with it but not fussed enough to debate further in the retirement thread. Your opinion is fair enough, and Sehwag is a legend so all good.

Last edited: