• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ to tour Australia this year?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just read reports that the West Indies are pulling out of their tour to Australia this year due to a heavy schedule.

NZ are due to tour Australia in 2006, but its now possible NZ & The West Indies will swap tours.

NZ will possibly play 2 tests in Perth & Brisbane, mid november then return home to host Sri Lanka before returning for the VB Series which will also feature Pakistan.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
maybe only 2 because NZ need to get back to host Sri Lanka.
Although I think NZ have shown that they at least deserve to play a 3 test series now...its ridiculous how many 2 match series NZ plays considering how well they were doing in test cricket.

Perth & Brisbane will be 2 venues that will really suit NZ though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tim said:
Although I think NZ have shown that they at least deserve to play a 3 test series now...its ridiculous how many 2 match series NZ plays considering how well they were doing in test cricket.

If Bond is fully fit, I'd back NZ to win one test (out of the two).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ are pretty good at fighting out draws, as shown in their overseas test records recently...if they could win the 1st test then i'd back them to win the series...if they lost the first test then I'd reckon they'd lose the series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:

Lots of people play 2-Test series. It's no longer a form of degredation or discrimination, it's just a matter of time
The WACA and 'Gabba will certainly suit NZ if we get conditions like we got for Zim and Ind. Let's hope we get less rain than we did for Ind and last time NZ were there.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Richard said:
Lots of people play 2-Test series. It's no longer a form of degredation or discrimination, it's just a matter of time
The WACA and 'Gabba will certainly suit NZ if we get conditions like we got for Zim and Ind. Let's hope we get less rain than we did for Ind and last time NZ were there.
Depends on what time of year they play. But I think 2 Tests is a bit harsh on any team. They just drop tests for the fun of it? A few years ago, we had 5 and 3 Test series, now 2 and 4? Drop half the one day tournaments, and there is your time to play more test matches.......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Problem is ODI's bring money, and the money is needed to fund the game, thus Tests get moved out of the way.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
The problem is the ICC and the other cricket boards don't see it my way, as everyone should! :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are more ODIs than are needed.
ICC would IMO have done better to consider a seven-year plan rather than a five-year one.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Test cricket is riding a wave of popularity atm with ODI crowds being down in comparison. (at least in Australia)

More tests - less meaningless ODI

Swervy

International Captain
mavric41 said:
Test cricket is riding a wave of popularity atm with ODI crowds being down in comparison. (at least in Australia)

More tests - less meaningless ODI
i agree...test cricket is the new rock n roll....but we can thank ODI in part for this, the skills aquired from so many ODI's have spilt over to the test scene..and for that one day cricket must be applauded

Craig

World Traveller
I would like to see NZ play a Test at Sydney or Adelaide. Dan Vettori would be suited there.

Anyway that would mean Pakistan would have 4 Tests? Personally I think it should be worked around they play three each.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno...I reckon NZ would be keen to avoid Sydney if Warne is playing.

The GABBA will suit the NZ bowlers, and NZ showed in Perth last time that they can bat well there & also bowl well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They got the quarternal turner, though, didn't they? Vettori exploited it very well in the first-innings.
If they got the more classic bouncing seamer, I'm not sure they'd do quite so well. None of the visiting teams have done in recent years (England especially).

Craig

World Traveller
Partly because Caddick was injured and they dropped Hoggard.

I was surprised they even played Dawson on that wicket, I would of thought they would of gone in with an all seam line up.

Their attack: Silverwood (got injured), Tudor, Harmison, White and Dawson.

Tudor bowled a great ball to Steve Waugh, Harmison got over his home sickness in that Test and White picked up five wickets with a decent ball to Ponting.

I would of kept Hoggard for that Test as it would have suited him and played him instead of Dawson.