• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns' Perjury Trial

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Errr, maintaining the precedent that you can't get away with perjury seems like it would be in the public interest.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Errr, maintaining the precedent that you can't get away with perjury seems like it would be in the public interest.
This is true, and particularly so in the case of Cairns' solicitor who, if I have understood the allegations correctly, is said to have tried to persuade Vincent to give a false statement - my concerns arise out of the fact that most civil trials conclude with the court rejecting some evidence, often on the grounds that witnesses have lied, but that doesn't lead to police investigations - there is doubtless some prosection evidence other than the tainted evidence of Vincent and it will be interesting to see what that is, but if Modi couldn't prove his case on the balance of probabilities without Vincent, it strikes me that it's going to be very difficult to prove essentially the same case beyond reasonable doubt unless there is rather more than him to add to it

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't quite understand, how is Modi trying to prove the same case beyond reasonable doubt? My take is this is about proving, beyond reasonable doubt, that Double-Barrelled Cairns Lawyer requested a false statement from Vincent and Cairns was complicit.

Obvs, I'm not the lawyer here, but I'm interested and want to understand this properly :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
no, there's clear evidence that Brendon McCullum is providing that claims Cairns attempted to recruit him to fix.

fredfertang

I don't quite understand, how is Modi trying to prove the same case beyond reasonable doubt? My take is this is about proving, beyond reasonable doubt, that Double-Barrelled Cairns Lawyer requested a false statement from Vincent and Cairns was complicit.

Obvs, I'm not the lawyer here, but I'm interested and want to understand this properly :p
The Crown Prosection Service will have to establish guilt beyond reasonable to doubt to get a conviction

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't aware of that - presumably Modi didn't know about that when his case was going on?
it came to light recently, a couple of years after Modi's case.

...hence the perjury charge...

Was an ongoing ICC investigation that was finally shed light on last year IIRC. McCullum's testimony quite critical as the others (Vincent, Tuffey) have their names heavily smeared.

IIRC McCullum claims Cairns asked him to fix during the England tour when he got that 96 (Cairns had retired a few years earlier but was in England). McCullum himself was shocked (having looked up to Cairns as a childhood hero), and told Vettori and Mills about it, but didn't tell authorities. He obviously rebuffed the advances.

He came forward to the ICC a year or so later, and they've been sitting on it for a number of years. They knew about it while the Modi case was ongoing.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I assume that the only reason Modi's not suing the ICC yet for that dog move is because he's still planning yet another cricket league and counting on them looking the other way.

fredfertang

Seems that Vincent recorded a skype conversation with Fitch Holland when they were discussing the evidence that Vincent might give for Cairns against Modi - that's going to be a tricky one for him to explain

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The evidence the witnesses are expected to give:

stuff.co.nz said:
* Chris Harris (Black Caps, all-rounder): played for the Hyderabad Heroes in the Indian Cricket League (in which Cairns captained the Chandigarh Lions). Will say some ICL games in 2008 looked "peculiar", Cairns hit a simple catch, which was dropped, then was dismissed going for "a silly run". He looked unhappy when his team won a game both sides appeared to be trying to lose.

* Brendon McCullum (Black Caps captain): Cairns explained spread betting to him in 2008 in India, where McCullum was playing in the Indian Premier League, saying he could get between $70,000 and $180,000 a game. McCullum said no. Cairns approached him again in England, in June 2008. McCullum told several people, but did not file an official report until 2011. He regrets the delay, but says it was because he idolised Cairns.

* Daniel Vettori (former Black Caps captain): McCullum told him about the Cairns proposal.

* Shane Bond (Black Caps, pace bowler): played for the Delhi Giants in the ICL. Recalls Cairns lacking enthusiasm when his wicketkeeper turned a 2008 match around, winning it with an outstanding innings. McCullum told him about the Cairns proposal.

* Kyle Mills (Black Caps, pace bowler): McCullum told him about the Cairns proposal.

* Ricky Ponting (Australia former captain): was in a hotel room with McCullum in 2008 when Cairns rang with a "business proposal".

READ MORE: McCullum pitted against Cairns

* Lou Vincent (Black Caps, opener): a Chandigarh team-mate of Cairns, who told him his (Vincent's) mental health problems were a perfect cover for fixing as he was "guaranteed to under perform". Cairns said to him Kiwi bowler Daryl Tuffey and Dinesh Mongia were involved in fixing. Vincent under-performed in four games on instruction. In the fourth game his fixing skills "failed him", he scored too many runs and cost a furious Cairns a great deal of money. Cairns threatened to hit him with a bat. (Vincent is now serving a life ban from the game).

* Andre Adams (Black Caps, bowler): Vincent in 2008 approached him with a match fixing proposal. Was at a dinner where Cairns talked openly about fixing.

* Elly Riley (Vincent's former wife): Got a call from Vincent, who was in tears as he had lost Cairns $250,000. Said Cairns was to pay him $50,000 a game, but he was not paid after the final match. At a dinner in England, Cairns told her everyone was match fixing and everything would be all right.
source

Quite a lot hinges on McCullum's evidence.

Gnske

That last comment there by Cairns on everyone doing it is curious.While it could be utterly erroneous on his part to justify his actions, it makes you wonder how many like McCullum simply haven't reported stuff like this to anti-corruption authorities because of the seniority of some of the players doing it.

Flem274*

123/5
so basically cairns has to prove baz is telling fibbs despite having everything to lose in order to escape

good luck with that

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That last comment there by Cairns on everyone doing it is curious.While it could be utterly erroneous on his part to justify his actions, it makes you wonder how many like McCullum simply haven't reported stuff like this to anti-corruption authorities because of the seniority of some of the players doing it.
There's an ex-international cricketer who has been freely named over the last couple of days, who is not under investigation and whose name is not particularly muddied despite a few sources naming him as involved front and square. And he was still running around in club cricket as of last season, so it's not like he's in Osama's bunker hiding away from it all.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Vincent also described an ICL match against Mumbai, in which he said it became clear that both teams were trying to lose.

"This was a shambles ... it was embarrassing to be out in the field."

Mumbai batted first before Chandigarh struggled, deliberately according to Vincent, in the run chase.

"We had to act like we were disappointed," said Vincent.

That was until, the Chandigarh wicketkeeper came out and scored 41 runs off the final three overs of the game to win.

Vincent said there was an "uneasy" feeling among the players who knew the game was fixed, while the "the ones who weren't on the take were ecstatic and high-fiving each other."
This is starting to sound unnervingly like that episode of South Park, "the losing edge".