• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns' Perjury Trial

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha I love it when Fred boils down his "****/not a ****" perspective to how a player's done for Lancashire.

Flem274*

123/5
so when cairns tried to get baz he claimed tuffey was already with him. Tuffey played test cricket afterthis meeting....

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
so when cairns tried to get baz he claimed tuffey was already with him. Tuffey played test cricket afterthis meeting....
I think it comes down to whether you think match fixing in the ICL is a serious crime against cricket. I think the players probably viewed it a bit meh! Like if your in pakistan in the 80s you take a bottle cap with you onto the field.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So Nathan Astle was the destroyer for Mumbai before Sarabjit Singh did the damage:

5th Match: Chandigarh Lions v Mumbai Champs at Hyderabad (Deccan), Oct 13, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Here's some 1st innings highlights (Mumbai batting)- can't find the run chase but some interesting dismissals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrZFUe3gu3A

Found the run chase with some batting which may be considered dubious (with the late Tony Greig commentating).

5th Match ICL T20 Mumbai v Chandigarh HQ P 3 - Video Dailymotion

5th Match ICL T20 Mumbai v Chandigarh HQ P 4 - Video Dailymotion

5th Match ICL T20 Mumbai v Chandigarh HQ P 5 - Video Dailymotion

The last one shows the reactions when they win - CC is smiling.

Listen to the recording at 5:45 in the last one - is it Dean Jones? I wonder if he made a subliminal slip with what he was thinking about the game.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Really sad to see this playing out the way it is. It's pretty obvious Cairns is guilty. Horrible though as he was one of my favourites through the years.

Cairns had a horrible time with injury. As it stands he would be considered NZ's best genuine all-rounder. Had he not been so injury prone he may well have become the greatest all-rounder of all time. Top three at least.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cairns had a horrible time with injury. As it stands he would be considered NZ's best genuine all-rounder. Had he not been so injury prone he may well have become the greatest all-rounder of all time. Top three at least.
AWTA. Could've been of the calibre of Miller/Botham as genuine top six batsmen who were also a genuine opening bowler or third quick.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think it comes down to whether you think match fixing in the ICL is a serious crime against cricket. I think the players probably viewed it a bit meh! Like if your in pakistan in the 80s you take a bottle cap with you onto the field.
I think it is naïve to assume that they only fixed ICL matches.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It should be a matter of jurisdiction. If the ICC doesn't recognize the ICL as official cricket, then they should back the **** off and let the law of the land deal with it. Can't have their cake and eat it too by demanding that players report shady approaches in the league. What's next - the ICC interfering with the usage of gumnuts and shoes in a backyard game?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
It should be a matter of jurisdiction. If the ICC doesn't recognize the ICL as official cricket, then they should back the **** off and let the law of the land deal with it. Can't have their cake and eat it too by demanding that players report shady approaches in the league. What's next - the ICC interfering with the usage of gumnuts and shoes in a backyard game?
McCullum was not approached for ICL (?)

McCullum, who gave evidence on Thursday morning for nearly two-and-a-half hours, told the court that the first approach had come in his hotel bar in Kolkata ahead of the opening match of the 2008 IPL.

Cairns, he claimed, followed that up with a subsequent phone call, before contacting McCullum at Worcester in June, when he was on tour with the New Zealand Test team. He added that he turned down the offers each time.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
Thank God Dan V. isn't involved - that would just destroy my faith in cricket.

It's a real shame though - Chris C. was an absolute star when I was growing up - easily the biggest player in the NZ team. Sad.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Matthew Elliott has been named as well. Does this surprise anyone ? I know nothing about him.
As a witness you mean? He opened a few times for Australia in the late 90s. Re the trial he played for the Chandigar Lions under Cairns. Scored 30 something in the game I showed links to.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
How come no action has been taken against McCullum fornot reporting the approach for three years? I understand they wouldn't want to ban him for a year which is the minimum punishment for that but atleast a slap in the wrist was warranted.