• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns' Perjury Trial

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So he actually slept with a prostitute.How would be his family feeling after he had made this confession?
well he's divorced from his ex wife and they were going through problems for a long time. Probably best to leave them out of it as much as possible.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Funny that Vincent remembers Fleming calling him and Cairns "dirty" in a bar but fails to remember that he fixed any matches after Cairn's suspension or not.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Funny that Vincent remembers Fleming calling him and Cairns "dirty" in a bar but fails to remember that he fixed any matches after Cairn's suspension or not.
Well TBF you remember moments that stand out like a sporting legend calling you out for being a cheating bastard. Something that had become routine? Maybe not so much.

One of the darker patches on our sporting legacy here. It doesn't matter if he did it wearing the fern or not. A cheat represented us at the highest level, tarnishes the cap.

jcas0167

International Debutant
according to the comments on veitch on sport fb page vincent is a snitch who shouldn't have talked.

right...
Yeah, a lot of comments calling Vincent a rat, which seems to miss the point that to catch match-fixers cricket needs more rats.

One this morning made the point that if you were offered $50,000 to your face your morals may disapear quite quickly. I can imagine that would be particularly tempting where you're in an unsanctioned league, your international career is over & perhaps prospects of post-career earnings aren't great. That's not to forgive the actions of the fixers in ICL, but it's easy to understand how greed could take over in the circumstances. And why rats and maybe stings are needed to root it out.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally don't know if it speaks to greed so much as entitlement. You'd think the guys good at swaying players would be also very good at detecting who's susceptible, someone with an obvious chip on their shoulder maybe. If really greedy, 50K is nothing to hinge your career and legacy on. I dunno, I'm guessing here as much as anyone else, as others have said the whole thing is just ****ing sad.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, a lot of comments calling Vincent a rat, which seems to miss the point that to catch match-fixers cricket needs more rats.

One this morning made the point that if you were offered $50,000 to your face your morals may disapear quite quickly. I can imagine that would be particularly tempting where you're in an unsanctioned league, your international career is over & perhaps prospects of post-career earnings aren't great. That's not to forgive the actions of the fixers in ICL, but it's easy to understand how greed could take over in the circumstances. And why rats and maybe stings are needed to root it out.
I'm prepared to accept that some professional sportsmen aren't the sharpest tools in the box, but I don't believe any of them are so stupid that they don't realise that any kind of fixing does have real victims, the children of the poor punters who can ill afford to lose their hard earned

91Jmay

International Coach
Vincent was warned by the judge that he has the absolute right to not give any evidence that is self incriminating, hence him ' not remembering' other fixes.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I personally don't know if it speaks to greed so much as entitlement. You'd think the guys good at swaying players would be also very good at detecting who's susceptible, someone with an obvious chip on their shoulder maybe. If really greedy, 50K is nothing to hinge your career and legacy on. I dunno, I'm guessing here as much as anyone else, as others have said the whole thing is just ****ing sad.
I think Vincent gave evidence it was 50K per game. Agree the whole thing is very sad.

social

Fred is much more qualified than the rest of us to predict how the case is going

I think I posted elsewhere how Chris lived in Dubai when I was there and I spent a weekend with him at a mutual friend's party

We got absolutely tanked together and all I can tell you that if he is truly guilty then he missed his calling - guy should've gone to Hollywood as he was a great actor!

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Fred is much more qualified than the rest of us to predict how the case is going

I think I posted elsewhere how Chris lived in Dubai when I was there and I spent a weekend with him at a mutual friend's party

We got absolutely tanked together and all I can tell you that if he is truly guilty then he missed his calling - guy should've gone to Hollywood as he was a great actor!
He became a diamond dealer after the ICL suspension or before?

social

He became a diamond dealer after the ICL suspension or before?
He had a radio spot when I met him and basically semi-retired - lucky to be paid 50k per year from that gig

Wife had a business in Dubai and was forging ahead with that whilst he kicked back

Both were really good company

BTW, a diamond dealer?

That is heavy **** in that part of the world and well above his pay grade

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I would be shocked if Cairns isn't involved in fixing, to much smoke and so many people. I also am not sure I buy Vincent's whole sincerity act either.

fredfertang

Vincent was warned by the judge that he has the absolute right to not give any evidence that is self incriminating, hence him ' not remembering' other fixes.
'can't remember' is giving evidence though, and totally ludicrous evidence too - if he didn't want to incriminate himself he should have simply declined to answer the question, though he was always going to be a waste of space - the **** was clearly taking a dive when he played for Lancs in '08 - unforgiveable