• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns' Perjury Trial

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think these civil claims are stretching the concept of "try a man once" for a crime. What was the previous case against Modi - libel was it. And he is upset that he lost so now he is going to try to sue.

There is something very wrong here. There should be one trial per crime. We are going into the third case here. The spirit of the law is being abused. IMHO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No, the new evidence makes a big difference.

However, I still suspect it's not enough.
Dunno, it's much easier to win a case when all you need to do is prove something on the balance of probabilities. I think we'd all agree that on that basis Cairns is guilty.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think these civil claims are stretching the concept of "try a man once" for a crime. What was the previous case against Modi - libel was it. And he is upset that he lost so now he is going to try to sue.

There is something very wrong here. There should be one trial per crime. We are going into the third case here. The spirit of the law is being abused. IMHO.
Cairns sued Modi for libel
Cairns was tried for perjury for lying in the previous case, found not guilty
Modi is suing Cairns for fraud

Different courts, and it's due to the increased information on the case.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

How would you like to be put on trial 3 times for something. Granted that he initiated the first case against Modi. Modi shouldn't have the right to sue him back. My arguments are purely on emotional logic. It is unseemly to have muptiple trials over the same things. I probably have little legal ground to stand on other than the spirit of the law.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cairns sued Modi for libel over his tweet.
Cairns was then charged with perjury in the libel case.
Evidence coming to light in that case means Modi might well feel the libel case is errornous, considering it does seem like Cairns is a cheat. Modi has a right to sue Cairns.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
How would you like to be put on trial 3 times for something. Granted that he initiated the first case against Modi. Modi shouldn't have the right to sue him back. My arguments are purely on emotional logic. It is unseemly to have muptiple trials over the same things. I probably have little legal ground to stand on other than the spirit of the law.
Why not? He won (iirc) more than $1 million from Modi based on fraudulent claims. Seems like reasonable grounds for taking someone to court to me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why not? He won (iirc) more than $1 million from Modi based on fraudulent claims. Seems like reasonable grounds for taking someone to court to me.
Are there any standards Modi has to meet to get his case heard, or can anyone who loses a law suit counter sue three years later if they beleive they have a better case now.

I hope the courts don't allow his proceeding, or are we past that stage already and it is definitely happening?

Anyway - glad I had my say. I will add a support line for Cairns to my sig. I suspect he is guilty as otherwise Brendon is a liar, but I just don't agree with beating someone up this much through the court process.

I also don't think Modhi sounds like a pleasant individual. What is in it for him to bring this proceeding apart from $'s which he has enough of already. Modhi is not defending his name here, Chris Cairns' ostensible logic was that he was trying to clear his name to help with future employment opportunities in the world of cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are there any standards Modi has to meet to get his case heard, or can anyone who loses a law suit counter sue three years later if they beleive they have a better case now.

I hope the courts don't allow his proceeding, or are we past that stage already and it is definitely happening?

Anyway - glad I had my say. I will add a support line for Cairns to my sig. I suspect he is guilty as otherwise Brendon is a liar, but I just don't agree with beating someone up this much through the court process.

I also don't think Modhi sounds like a pleasant individual. What is in it for him to bring this proceeding apart from $'s which he has enough of already. Modhi is not defending his name here, Chris Cairns' ostensible logic was that he was trying to clear his name to help with future employment opportunities in the world of cricket.
At least Modi will be wasting his own money, and not the UK taxpayers - we need every penny we can get now to pay for all those bombs we're going to drop on Syrian civilians

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Also further to my point, if Cairns is cleaning bus shelters for a living Modhi doesn't stand to gain dollars either. The move just appears to be motivated by a desire to cause damage to Cairns in whatever shape possible. Most unchristian like goings on.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also further to my point, if Cairns is cleaning bus shelters for a living Modhi doesn't stand to gain dollars either. The move just appears to be motivated by a desire to cause damage to Cairns in whatever shape possible. Most unchristian like goings on.
He's a bad loser with enough cash to be able to use our court system - it's a classic example of justice coming at a price, and Modi is one of the few who can afford it - maybe this time Cairns won't be able to

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Probably Cairns should not have engaged himself with fixing (which I have no doubt in my mind) in the first place to begin with

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Cairns sued Modi for libel over his tweet.
Cairns was then charged with perjury in the libel case.
Evidence coming to light in that case means Modi might well feel the libel case is errornous, considering it does seem like Cairns is a cheat. Modi has a right to sue Cairns.
I think Modi will lose again.

In the first case, Modi was required to prove that Cairns was a matchfixer.

In the perjury case, the crown was required to prove that Cairns was a matchfixer.

If Cairns hasn't been proven to be a matchfixer then his libel judgement stands as is.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He's a bad loser with enough cash to be able to use our court system - it's a classic example of justice coming at a price, and Modi is one of the few who can afford it - maybe this time Cairns won't be able to
Justice coming at a price?

The end result will be, if Modi wins, a judgement for $3M pounds. Cairns will declare bankruptcy. Again if he hasn't already done so. And Modhi gains nothing.
Justice I guess gets served in that Cairns lost a court case. So for those keeping tabs on these things it will murky his name further. Is that the Justice Modi wants to take someone who has a 1/100 level of credibility in the eyes of the public and reduce them to a 0.5/100 level of credibility? Cairns is up the boohai with or without the 3rd law suit. His only hope is that in 20 years from now he becomes a B grade celebrity and can appear on degrading reality tv shows which are particularly desperate for ratings. He can play that card whether or not he loses this third case.

There is a hard earned lesson I have learned that perhaps KiwiViktor if he is reading this might relate to: "As bad as things are they can always get worse. There is no such things as rock bottom". Modi can make Cairns' life more of a misery over the next 6 months and possibly even make him lose his relationship with his wife, I don't know at some stage she could stop beleiving in him. So he can still lose more, but I don't see how Modi gains by sending Cairns into a deeper level of hell than he already is. Modi's values are not becoming or ideal.

Last edited: