• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The relevance of bilateral ODI series

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So I have been thinking about this lately, especially with the recently concluded South Africa vs New Zealand series. We've had these going on for a while now, last year we had South Africa vs Australia in a 5 match series in November, and next January we will have India vs Australia in Australia.

So my question to CW is, does anyone care? Do they have any relevance? And here's the thing, if you don't care because you are a snob and look down upon ODI cricket in general, this question is not for you. My question is for those who love and enjoy ODI cricket.

I found it hard to get into the SA-NZ series, despite knowing the quality of the cricket would be high, despite knowing that the players and teams are still fighting tooth and nail to win. I guess the issue is that of context. I cannot really find a context to such series.

When an ODI series is part of a full tour, that includes Tests as well,it feels like one big tour and you want to see who comes out on top.

So here are my questions

1) Do you care?
2) Are they even lucrative? I for one saw empty grounds when South Africa played Australia last year.
3) If they are not lucrative, why are cricket boards so hell bent on organising these tours?

Burner

International Regular
I watch all the matches, especially when the teams have big names in them, regardless of whether there is context or not. So they do make some TV money through ****s like me..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really could have used a bilateral ODI series or two over the last few weeks; there's been **** all cricket to watch.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
Yes, it broke my heart to see that there was no cricket played in the whole majority of September :shutup:

October is compensating for that though.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah is it really generating revenue when no one is watching?
The Aussies will fill you in better than me, but with the Indian tour, Big Bash and World Cup on the horizon back then, I just think people decided not to bother with it, people have only so much money. Again not as if cricket the only sport in Australia.

In the SC, the limited overs tours are the ones that pack the stadiums, while sadly test cricket unless its a weekend only gets tumbleweeds. :@

So yeah people are watching.:ph34r:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I understand all of that.. and yes I would much rather have a bilateral ODI series than no cricket at all.. Having no cricket to look forward makes me sad..

But I wasn't talking about myself in particular but the state of ODI cricket in general.

There is a lot of talk about ODI cricket becoming boring and all that.

Now I understand in SC, especially if it involves India, any bilateral series will have a packed house. For example if India were to tour Bangladesh now for just a 3 match ODI series, it would be packed no doubt.

But here's the thing.. what about the South Africa vs New Zealand series? was that generating revenue? The NZ fans might be able to confirm this but that series wasn't even televised in New Zealand? Surely it couldn't have been generating a lot of revenue?

In Australia once again I am not sure if there is a sustainable cricket audience other than the Ashes and to a lesser extent Australia vs India.

The World Cup - there was hardly any interest or excitement among Australian people.. other than the diaspora SC community.

So I am just wondering if there is a lot of interest in bilateral ODI series if it involves some of the non SC teams? I can understand Australia playing India for 5 match series next year but I think they are also playing South Africa? That's a bit puzzling for me given that the previous bilateral series hardly generated any interest?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps it depends on how close the series are, and how many dead matches have to be played after it's been decided. This summer's series in England were OK as they weren't decided until the 5th match, but I can think of plenty that have been pointless well before the final fixture.