• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2015/16

Marius

International Debutant
It is true. Our boys schools are fantastic in this country. You taught to be a gentleman and you get a discipline that is required for a young cricketer.

But even though they are saying that Rabada, Bavuma attended these schools not all other players who have made the proteas attended these schools.

Stiaan van Zyl attended a farming school only known for Rugby.
Dean Elgar attended a Catholic school who has no sporting tradition or certainly lost it.
Dale Steyn attened a school in the middle of nowhere in Phalaborwa. The same school Ethy Mbhalati went to who has been a long time domestic servant in the game. Same can be said for de Lange. Similar sort of school to these 2.
Morne Morkel attended Vereeninging. Not a lot going for that school.
Vernon Philander attended Ravensmead. Passion for the game there possibly beaten by rugby but not great facilities.

While ; Amla, AB, Faf, Miller, Bavuma, Rossouw, Vilas, de Kock, Harmer, Morris, Abbott, Rabada attended these boys schools with cricketing tradition it also was handed to them on a platter. That if you go to these schools you will become a Protea.

CSA can come up with these quotas but do they think things will improve over night ? They should continue the hard work behind the scenes and stop the excuses and the window dressing.
Exactly.

It doesn't help saying the Proteas must be more black, but not do anything at the bottom, it's a classic case of putting the cart before the horse.

And the phenomenon of certain schools dominating is not unique to South Africa, as I understand it is similar in New Zealand and Australia.

And in England the game is becoming more and more elitist and increasingly becoming a game of the prosperous middle class. The last cricketer who was actually from London to play Test cricket for England was Ravi Bopara. And Scyld Berry makes the point that to play for England you have to have had one of these four advantages:
- You have to have attended a fee-paying school;
- Have a close relative who has played either Test or first-class cricket, or will do so;
- Professional football, with the benefits entailed; and
- Being born in Yorkshire or Lancashire where even small communities have a cricket ground.

This hand wringing about cricket is really starting to irritate me. Cricket is, by it's nature, somewhat elitist. It is probably only on the Indian subcontinent that it is anything like a people's game (I'm not sure what the situation is in the West Indies). Of course players from disadvantaged backgrounds should be developed and given assistance, but players from certain backgrounds and schools will dominate. And the Proteas will become more mixed as more black players attend schools with strong cricketing traditions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Over the years I have met a few South Africans in UK spoken to some sports media to understand this quota thing deeply. As a black mixed race individual I find the situation quite wrong having heard both the pro-quota and anit-quota proponents.

Apartheid and the quota policy is indefensible. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't see why post apartheid born white S Africans who in general have no racist tendencies & are seeking in harmony with the africans - should be denied a chance at a sporting career, because of what their ancestors did.

One of the strange things about the debate of having more black players is how S Africa define a "black man" which is totally different to how people in England, USA, Caribbean do.

To the rest of the world, Vernon Philander is black, but to S Africa he isn't as black as Tsotsobe or young Rabada

What gets ignored in this debate is the fact that most black african don't like cricket. When Football player Steven Pienaar was at his peak, he more popular among black african than Jacques Kallis.

Back also when Lucas Radebe, Quinton Fortune & Benni McCarthy played in the premier league, they were more popular than Pollock, Allan Donald, Klusener, Gibbs etc in their prime.

When Ntini was at the peak of is powers in the mid 2000's that was the only period when black S Africa's really got into cricket. But football was still paramount.

Its like trying to attack indians in guyana/trinidad to play football - when they all about cricket. Dead end.

The mistake CSA have done is not get into the rural black communities & promote to sport from the grassroots level, And local TV stations do not broadcast cricket unless its a tour to SA. The domestic championships and oversees tours are been televised on the pay channels which most ppl (black ppl) cant afford. So the latter doesn't help. But it makes no sense punishing the good white players who merit a place on ability.

South Africa have serious talent in depth - so really since readmission playing the odd token black/coloured player hasn't really affected them seriously since they have generally always been among the the top two test sides.

However though in S Africa society forms of racism still exist in the work environment - so things are not perfect post apartheid. But i'd argue in England & all across the western white man world, that blacks/minority races still have these issues in the jobs world. So trying to fix ill's of the past through sport is illogical to me & it will just cause some white players to go kolpak or play for England or New Zealand as we have seen over the years.

I'd wager also if the ICC was a very strong governing body like FIFA, S Africa could not have implemented quotas at the highest level. Because it is a government implemented policy & we know how FIFA is against government intervention in sport - something ICC don't have the balls or structure to do.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
So whats superior Seam up our Futures comp which has youth quotas or S Africa's 2nd comp?
I notice the Irene Village side bt Bangladesh yesterday quite easily,so their must be depth there.
But with quotas in 2nd division first class cricket it could be quite weak,i dunno.

NZ seem to have a strong comp,altho dunno about their 2nd xl comp.

English 2nds filled with foreigners and 17/20 year olds.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
I'm for transformation but the way we doing it it's counterproductive. IMO what should happen is that each and every school should have the resources to play the sport. This will allow greater access to blacks to play at the highest level. The current model is elitist to the extreme and with South Africa's history it can't be allowed to continue.

What currently happens is that for a black player to make it, he has to play for one of this super schools. In such a scenario the pool of talented players shrinks to a negligible size. And this is where the problem arises. Majority of blacks don't have access to these facilities unless those schools give them bursaries to study there.

Unfortunately with the current franchise system, the problem will now be amplified. Well deserving white players will be sidelined through no fault of their own. Unless we go back to the provincial system, nothing will ever work.

The reality of the situation is that to develop quality black players needs time. People running cricket in our country have wasted time playing politics. In the next 3/4 years we will lose a great number of white players with the qoutas as is. It's inevitable.

Which brings me to another point, except for Bavuma, there doesn't seem to be any black batsmen who can play for the Proteas. Looking at provincial sides and the franchise system black batsmen are struggling. For the purpose of this post, blacks excludes South Africans of indian and coloured descent.

I just hope sanity prevails, but will the politicians listen? I fear not.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm for transformation but the way we doing it it's counterproductive. IMO what should happen is that each and every school should have the resources to play the sport. This will allow greater access to blacks to play at the highest level. The current model is elitist to the extreme and with South Africa's history it can't be allowed to continue.

What currently happens is that for a black player to make it, he has to play for one of this super schools. In such a scenario the pool of talented players shrinks to a negligible size. And this is where the problem arises. Majority of blacks don't have access to these facilities unless those schools give them bursaries to study there.

Unfortunately with the current franchise system, the problem will now be amplified. Well deserving white players will be sidelined through no fault of their own. Unless we go back to the provincial system, nothing will ever work.

The reality of the situation is that to develop quality black players needs time. People running cricket in our country have wasted time playing politics. In the next 3/4 years we will lose a great number of white players with the qoutas as is. It's inevitable.

Which brings me to another point, except for Bavuma, there doesn't seem to be any black batsmen who can play for the Proteas. Looking at provincial sides and the franchise system black batsmen are struggling. For the purpose of this post, blacks excludes South Africans of indian and coloured descent.

I just hope sanity prevails, but will the politicians listen? I fear not.
Would be travesty if that happens because as i mentioned above given the amount of talent the Proteas have generally had since readmission they have been able the mask the odd quota selection, with the team generally being among the top 2 test sides since readmission.

The only time I could remember a quota/coloured player obviously picked over a better white player where it either caused SA a game or was simply distasteful were:

- The situation in world cup semi-final this year when it seemed like a non fully fit/slightly out of form Philander was picked ahead of Abbot

- The infamous Justin Ontong incident in Sydney 2002

- During 2009/10 home series vs England, when Ntini was kept on just so he can play his 100th test although he was clearly past his best, for the better white bowler at the time Fridel De Wet

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Looked at the averages today for the one dayers,a lot of shoddy performances.

From what I saw black players had been given 5 games with below average performances,bar a few players,whereas white players we're given 1/2 games and dropped on those performances.The coloured players we're much better,altho did include some poor performances.
With this in mind it doesn't surprise me that there have been so many 300 par scores, the bowling figures of a lot of bowlers has been attrocious and they aren't getting through thier 10 overs.
What is interesting is that a lot of batsmen are now being called onto bowl some overs,
Previous I did not know some of them that they could bowl,Davids is an example.

5 games is enough to know they are not cutting,surely their must be better Black players around who have more potential than these lot.
You can pick and stick but the result is more 300 + scores.

Their are some noteable failures Ryan mclaren and Totsobie,expected more of them,altho Mclaren offered a kolpak deal with Hampshire,on form he won't be picked for s Africa,so he should take that.

Marius

International Debutant
Alviro Petersen is in great form, four tons in a row. Apparently only other person to get four List A centuries on the trot is Kumar Sangakkara, so he's in good company.

Eddie Leie also bowled nicely this weekend, 5/30 against the Knights. Think he might leapfrog Phangiso in the LO spinners pecking order.

SeamUp

International Coach
It was good Kuhn got a ton,a quick ton the other day,good to see him back.
Really glad for him. Probably one of the most messed around cricketers in the country.

So whats superior Seam up our Futures comp which has youth quotas or S Africa's 2nd comp?
I notice the Irene Village side bt Bangladesh yesterday quite easily,so their must be depth there.
But with quotas in 2nd division first class cricket it could be quite weak,i dunno.

NZ seem to have a strong comp,altho dunno about their 2nd xl comp.

English 2nds filled with foreigners and 17/20 year olds.
I would say the depth of talent may be less but there are individuals deserving of a higher level playing in it too.

Suppose we have produced good individual talent for so long, we got to hope we continue that.

It was Tuks actually and they won that university competition last year and they defended that title again now. Which is good to see. Always nice to win world tournaments.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looked at the averages today for the one dayers,a lot of shoddy performances.

From what I saw black players had been given 5 games with below average performances,bar a few players,whereas white players we're given 1/2 games and dropped on those performances.The coloured players we're much better,altho did include some poor performances.
With this in mind it doesn't surprise me that there have been so many 300 par scores, the bowling figures of a lot of bowlers has been attrocious and they aren't getting through thier 10 overs.
What is interesting is that a lot of batsmen are now being called onto bowl some overs,
Previous I did not know some of them that they could bowl,Davids is an example.

5 games is enough to know they are not cutting,surely their must be better Black players around who have more potential than these lot.
You can pick and stick but the result is more 300 + scores.

Their are some noteable failures Ryan mclaren and Totsobie,expected more of them,altho Mclaren offered a kolpak deal with Hampshire,on form he won't be picked for s Africa,so he should take that.
The sooner McLaren & Tsostsobe pack their bags in the better !

de Lange and Parnell top of the wicket-takers. Both bowling quickly but lack 'brains' I think.

SeamUp

International Coach
Sarel Cilliers has stepped down as Knights coach. Bloem favourites Nicky Boje and Allan Donald step in. Knights have also signed Andre Russell and Theunis de Bruyn on loan for the Ram Slam T20 starting this weekend.

KP has got his work visa finally for the Dolphins.

brockley

International Captain
Good 2 see Van Buurren get some runs,he may not go 2 England,despite that Sussex needs some batting talent.
Looking at the averages Seam up some very ordinary performances.Their must be some better black players in 2nd division cricket because 5 games is stacks to know you don't cut it in the big league.

Marius

International Debutant
Sarel Cilliers has stepped down as Knights coach. Bloem favourites Nicky Boje and Allan Donald step in. Knights have also signed Andre Russell and Theunis de Bruyn on loan for the Ram Slam T20 starting this weekend.

KP has got his work visa finally for the Dolphins.
Did KP give up his SA citizenship? Because surely he was a dual-national from birth, and the UK and SA both allow dual nationality, so I wonder if he did give it up. Seems a bit weird to do so, in my opinion.

And Cilliers stepped down quite suddenly, and at a strange time in the season. I wonder if he was pushed?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Did KP give up his SA citizenship? Because surely he was a dual-national from birth, and the UK and SA both allow dual nationality, so I wonder if he did give it up. Seems a bit weird to do so, in my opinion.

And Cilliers stepped down quite suddenly, and at a strange time in the season. I wonder if he was pushed?
He must have & I am with you on that. Like the recent Kevin Anderson debate in how he want to keep US & SA citizenship so I don't really see the need for him to give up.

Supposedly he was really struggling to get it too.

Kevin Pietersen Verified account 
‏@KP24 Visit to @SunfoilDolphins in jeopardy for me. Proving v difficult to get work permit thru. @HomeAffairsSA - can you help? @MbalulaFikile

There were rumours Sarel was going to lose his job after last summer but a good end to the season with the Ram Slam etcI know he re-applied but I am not sure who else did.

That region can't lose Van Wyk's, Elgar's, McLaren's. It is not like the other unions need them either. Forgetting that player development is the most important thing below international level.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Good 2 see Van Buurren get some runs,he may not go 2 England,despite that Sussex needs some batting talent.
Looking at the averages Seam up some very ordinary performances.Their must be some better black players in 2nd division cricket because 5 games is stacks to know you don't cut it in the big league.
I must admit, I am not a big fan of van Buuren but he finds ways to score runs and quite a bit of them. Just wonder if there will be more casualties. Finding it more difficult to get those contracts in England due to the new rules ? The Curran's acted fast and at the right time.

There certainly isn't. If there were they would definitely be playing franchise cricket and to be fair a lot playing franchise cricket are nowhere near the best XI for the region.

I like the look of Phehlukwayo but he is young and not really deserving of a spot in the Dolphins team yet. Hope his development isn't being pushed too early. Think the Titans will work well with Lungi Ngidi. Think he looks a decent find.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Aiden Markram, Murray Coetzee, Ruben Claasen and Lungi Ngidi are 4 very good young players that contributed to Tuks win in the Red Bull Campus Cricket World Finals but will struggle to get into the Titans set-up this season.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting

De Bruyn on his way to Leicestershire after 6 trophy-filled years with Tuks
Posted on October 29, 2015 by Ken Borland

The minutes of the University of Pretoria cricket club AGM after the 2015/16 season will show that they lost their inspirational coach Pierre de Bruyn after six trophy-filled years, but the former Titans and Dolphins all-rounder’s departure for Leicestershire is a blow for South African cricket as a whole.

De Bruyn confirmed on Wednesday that he will be taking up a post as skills coach and second XI head coach with English county Leicestershire in the new year, therefore ending an association with the Tuks cricket team that saw them win five successive Northerns Premier League titles, three National Club Championships, three University Sports South Africa crowns, the inaugural Varsity Cup for cricket and, just last weekend, they defended their title in the Red Bull Campus Cricket Finals, the world cup of student cricket.

“I cannot thank the University of Pretoria more for the foundation they have given me, they’ve played a massive role in my life in terms of my growth end education. They gave me all the tools I needed for a very successful six years, and they have moulded the person I am.

“But as a young coach, I want to go to the next level, my long-term aim is to be an international coach, and a great opportunity has come my way at Leicestershire. It’s a full-time, permanent position, so I’m moving the whole family. It’s a chance to get into the very powerful structure of county cricket and try and help Leicestershire get back on track. There’s been a lot of change there and I hope I have a massive role to play,” De Bruyn told The Citizen on Wednesday.

One of South Africa’s most promising coaches and a father of two daughters, De Bruyn will work under elite performance director Andrew McDonald, the former Australia, Delhi Daredevils, Bangalore Royal Challengers and Leicestershire all-rounder, and another South African expat, Nic Pothas, is the new academy director.

“It’s a new page for me and if you look at the IPL, or the likes of Graham Ford at Surrey, Dave Nosworthy at Somerset and all the Aussies, having coaches from all over the world is where cricket has gone. I think I’ve shown I can produce and develop players, and I hope to bring discipline and structure to my work at Leicestershire. After six years of great memories, I just want to make sure I continue changing young people’s lives because that’s what I’m passionate about,” De Bruyn said.

Some of the most talented young South African cricketers – Theunis de Bruyn, Aiden Markram and Graeme van Buuren – have passed through his hands at Tuks.

brockley

International Captain
Ngidi did well in the T20 African Cup,looking at the scores,shame i couldn't get coverage of the games in Australia.