• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2015/16

SeamUp

International Coach
WARRIORS

The Warriors will start their summer domestic campaign on 9 October when they play their first Momentum One Day Cup match against the Titans in Pretoria. The team have all gathered in Port Elizabeth and have undergone extensive off season conditioning and training with time being spent in the gym. Players who spent their off season overseas have joined the squad in their final few weeks of preparation.

The team travelled to Oudsthoorn to play two One Day matches against the Cobras and three stand out performances saw the Warriors beat the Cobras by 8 wickets in the game played yesterday (Tuesday 29 October). Cobras batted first and scored 221/8 in their allotted 50 overs. A great bit of bowling from Basheer Walters saw him take 5 for 39 off 9 overs. New comers to the Warriors squad Gihahn Cloete scored 110* off 140 balls which included 12 fours and 1 six with Yaseen Vallie contributing 103* off 113 balls. The Warriors final tally was 223/2 in 42.3 overs. The second match due to be played today (Wednesday) was called off due to rain.

A team building two day programme on Thursday and Friday will round off the team preparation and Coach Mali Maketa is keen to get the season underway “We have been working really hard in the off season and I am confident we have put in the hard yards. The team is in a good space right now and we will need to take this forward into our first campaign of the season”
TITANS V KNIGHTS

The Unlimited Titans lost the inaugural match in the Ehlanzeni Challenge at White River by two wickets against the VKB Knights, but the steely character and defiance shown by the hosts in the field would have bolstered their self-belief ahead of the Momentum One Day Cup challenge.

Rob Walter, the coach, admitted that the 189 scored by The Unlimited Titans on a challenging wicket was about 30 runs short of a par-score on the surface.

The coach added that the bowling attack needed to improve by about 20 % ahead of the first match of the Momentum One Day Cup against the Warriors.

Mangaliso Mosehle, wicketkeeper-batsman of the Titans, slammed 43 while Dean Elgar, South African test opener of the hosts, contributed 40.

The leg-spinner Shaun von Berg took three for 41 in ten overs as the Knights lived uncomfortably for extended periods during their chase.

Their never-say-die-spirit kept the Titans in the game.

Walter said the enthusiasm and the energy around the field as the home crowd embraced the Titans, was one of the bonuses of the match.

He is not overly concerned about the batting performance, as peaking at the right moment would be vital for the Titans in their quest to retain the Momentum One Day Cup challenge.

The Titans shared the Momentum One Day Cup trophy in the 2013/2014-season with the Cape Cobras, and beat the same foe by five wickets in the final of the 2014/2015-season.

The Titans batsmen were particularly devastating throughout the campaign as Elgar, Albie Morkel, Theunis de Bruyn, Farhaan Behardien, David Wiese and Qaasim Adams all performed superbly with the blade.
Successfully adapting to a wicket that rewarded a slower pace was one of the keys to Shaun von Berg’s three for 41 in the two-wicket defeat by The Unlimited Titans on Wednesday. The VKB Knights won the inaugural match in the Ehlanzeni Challenge in a closely contested 50-over clash that went down to the wire.

Von Berg, attacking wrist spinner of the Titans, has changed his pace the past couple of seasons and has generally operated at about five kilometres per hour quicker than his previous average of 80 km/h.

On Wednesday, he quickly realized that the pitch required him to operate at between 77 and 80 km/h, and it worked a treat.

Occasionally, he bowled some quicker variations which trapped two Knights-batsmen in front.

Von Berg said he is up-beat about his control, as he only bowled one bad ball in his ten over spell.

He forced the batsmen to take changes, and on a few occasions their high-risk approach brought them boundaries.

Von Berg has been a bogey man for the Knights, as he captured ten for 129 against the Central Franchise-team in the Sunfoil Series once in the 2013/2014-season. He also nipped out eight batsmen of the Free State while representing the Northerns amateur team.

The 29-year old wrist spinner said his googly has improved markedly.

Asked about his goals for the season, Von Berg said he wanted to be a stalwart for the Titans in all three formats, instead of only featuring in the Sunfoil Series.

Von Berg did not feature in the Momentum One Day competition in the 2014/2015-season, while his closest rival as wrist spinner in the Titans group, Tabraiz Shamsi, played in three games.

He wants to change that state of affairs, and the excellent performance at White River would not have gone unnoticed.
LIONS played semi-pro North West Dragons in 2 50-over games. I know Rassie vd Dussen got a 100 in the 2nd game & D.Hendricks got a 50 & Conway got a few.

DOLPHINS players have been playing in the Africa T20 Cup as both sides (KZN C & KZN I) qualified for finals weekend & then their club started as well. Deplort & Oldfield got 50's. Maharaj was in the runs and wickets.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Watching a bit of the Africa Cup

Impressed with fast bowlers Lungi Ngidi, Matthew Pillans, Keith Dudgeon.

Ngidi like so many young SA u19 fast bowlers in recent times (Savage,Kirsten,Glover,Engelbrecht) suffered a serious injury. In his case he had a stress fracture in his back but he looked really good. Well built and a athlete and comes from a good height. Generally angles the ball into the right-handers. Being black African he will be fast tracked for the Titans.

For Pillans, first time I've seen him. Had an impressive debut franchise season and was in the top 10 4-day Sunfoil Series wicket takers in 14/15. I thought he was a bit of a 130's seamer but was getting into the 140s nicely and looks a good line bowler. Can see why he earned the franchise contract.

For Dudgeon, he looks a bit skiddy. A certain wicket-taker and a hit the stumps sort. He surprised me. The young prospect in the region after Rabada was always viewed as Brandon Glover (in the SA u19 squad but recovering from a serious injury in his final school year) but he impressed and had some wheels. Good to see.

For Craig Kirsten, you can see he is a bit tentative still after all his injuries. Bowling only in the 128-135 range really and I just hope he can get enough confidence to get his pace back.

First time I saw spinner Ruben Claassen who went on the Academy tour to Sri Lanka along with George Linde as the other spinner. He was very impressive. A little unorthodox in his action so difficult to pick possibly but one to watch in years to come.

From a batting perspective I would say the boys who went to Sri Lanka for the academy do look like good players. Guys like Markram, Hamza, Rosier and the keeper Heinrich Klaasen looks to have some balls to get his teams over the line. Devon Conway as always looks silky and classy but needs to nail that next step to franchise level now.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
First squads of the season released this week for the Momentum 1-day cup

Friday : Titans v Warriors @ Centurion
Saturday : Lions v Cobras @ Wanderers
Sunday : Dolphins v Knights @ Pietermaritzburg Oval

SeamUp

International Coach
Nel sings praises of Africa T20 Cup Northerns-hero Ngidi

The former South African seam bowler and head coach of Easterns, André Nel, has sung the praises of the national u.19-player and Kagiso Rabada look-alike Lungi Ngidi, saying the Northerns-player at the Africa T20 Cup is a real future prospect.

“He is big and strong and hits good areas. Lungi still falls away at the point of delivery, so if he can be upright and have the right momentum going in the direction of the batsman, he can still add some pace. He is talented and is fairly accurate. There is so much potential.

“He looks a bit like Kagiso Rabada. Won’t it be great if these two hunt for South Africa as a pair in a few years? Obviously you cannot push him too early. We have to make sure we nurture him appropriately at first-class level,” an excited Nel said about the 19-year old prospect.

Nel captured 123 wickets in 36 tests as South African bowler. The fiery fast bowler also accounted for 106 batsmen in 79 One Day Internationals.

Mark Charlton, coach of the all-conquering Northerns who won the 16-team T20-event, said Ngidi was superb throughout the Africa T20 Cup-campaign, and operated with good pace and control.

“He displayed match awareness (and maturity) beyond his years,” he added.

Charlton also saluted Heinrich Klaasen, saying the young wicketkeeper-batsman has the ability to win matches single-handedly whether attacking or scrapping. He can destroy attacks and play a match-winning innings, or defy the opposition when strolling to the crease on 50 for five to rescue a team and ultimately lead them to victory.

He was not an instant prodigy, but developed over three years into a player who can operate comfortably at franchise-level.

Charlton said Albie Morkel’s 53 off 38 balls for Northerns Group A-match against the Zimbabwean Presidents X1 and Klaasen’s unbeaten 72 off 39 deliveries against Easterns when they won by three wickets with three balls to spare, were the individual performances that powered Northerns into the play-offs.

Nel, still smarting slightly from that three-wicket defeat which denied Easterns a semi-final berth, said a dropped catch and a fielder who moved in from the boundary too early and saw the ball loop over his head, cost Easterns the momentum in that match against Northerns.

Charlton said: “Winning the Africa T20-Cup was not a once off. We started off three seasons ago and were the best (semi-professional team) in the country last season.

“You need to back your instincts and find the players who can take the game forward, but also improve at their skills every day. They need to become fitter, stronger and more professional every season and operate strongly as a unit,” he added.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mosehle set to bat up the order for the Titans on Friday.

Possibly : Elgar, Davids, Mosehle, de Bruyn, Adams.

Marius

International Debutant
Mosehle set to bat up the order for the Titans on Friday.
Only way to describe that is quotas, I'm afraid.

Guy might be an OK keeper, but he shouldn't be batting in the top 6 for a franchise side. Or even a semi-pro side.

SeamUp

International Coach
Only way to describe that is quotas, I'm afraid.

Guy might be an OK keeper, but he shouldn't be batting in the top 6 for a franchise side. Or even a semi-pro side.
Agree. I don't think too many others would be afforded the opportunities he has had. They talk about how clean he strikes the ball but coming in under pressure moments at the back end doesn't suit him so they going to let him play with freedom up the top.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like the Cobras are going to go Levi, Puttick, van Zyl, Ramela, Ontong, Vilas, Peterson, Philander, Paterson, Moreki, Shezi

Rory Kleinveldt given a 3-week break & the 2 injuries mentioned in the article makes 3 unavailable.

So no K.Petersen, Engelbrecht, Ngoepe, Hamza, Piedt, Linde, Kemp etc

Cobras set to use tried and tested winning approach with Philander as spearhead at Wanderers

The Cape Cobras’ appearance at or near the summit the past four seasons was based on a simple philosophy.

An attacking mind-set with the ball and a focus on reaching the business-end with wickets in hand when batting, have secured them one Momentum One Day Cup title, and have seen them share the trophy on two other occasions when the finals were abandoned due to rain.

Paul Adams, the Cape Cobras coach, would like to continue this approach when they travel to the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium for their clash with the bizhub Highveld Lions in the opening match of the Momentum One Day Cup competition of 2015/2016.

Three South African fast bowlers won’t be considered for the match on Saturday. Rory Kleinveldt returns after a successful campaign for Northamptonshire, but is rested for the first match, while Wayne Parnell and Beuran Hendricks are still completing their rehabilitation after injuries.

Richard Levi will return from Northamptonshire, where he spent a period on the side-lines with a broken index finger, but Adams said he had a hit on Monday and is raring to go at the Wanderers. Historically, Levi has been sensational at the Wanderers.

Levi struck 350 runs in the domestic 50-over format last season, and his partnership with Andrew Puttick at the top of the order this season will be a pivotal factor for the Newlands-based team.
Puttick averaged 72.44 in the Momentum One Day Cup competition last season.

Stiaan van Zyl, national opener of the Cobras, will slot in at number three at the Wanderers, with Omphile Ramela to follow.
Dane Vilas was the best middle-order batsman for the Cobras in the limited-overs format last season, and he and the captain, Justin Ontong, will control the middle of the innings.

Adams says the beauty of the Cobras squad right now is that Van Zyl and Ontong are both capable bowlers who can be called upon if one of the other bowlers suffers at the hand of the opposition.
Van Zyl showed in the first test against Bangladesh in July that he can be a useful slow-medium seam bowler.

He also captured the key wicket of Marlon Samuels in the test series against the West Indies in the 2014/2015-season.

The Cobras are set to use four seam bowlers, Vernon Philander, Dane Paterson, Mthokozisi Shezi and Tshepo Moreki, at the Bullring on Saturday.

SeamUp

International Coach
Semi-Pro also starts Thursday

KZN C v KZN I @ Kingsmead
Easterns v EP @Benoni
Northern Cape v WP @ Kimberely
Namibia v Boland @ Windhoek

* Notice the name change of one of the oldest cricket unions in the world from Griquas to Northern Cape.

EASTERN PROVINCE selection

EASTERN PROVINCE vs EASTERNS

The Eastern Province Senior Provincial Team starts the 2015/2016 cricket season with the Sunfoil Cup 3-Day Competition match and CSA Provincial 1-Day Challenge match in Benoni against Easterns. The Sunfoil Cup 3-Day Competition match will take place from Thursday, 8th October to Saturday, 10th October 2015 and the CSA Provincial 1-Day Challenge on Sunday, 11th October 2015 at Willowmoore Park.

Eastern Province Cricket Coach, Piet Botha said “We are looking forward to starting the new provincial season. We had a reasonable start in the Africa T20 and hope to build on that performance. To the province we welcome Ethan O’Reilly, who played for Gauteng last season, and Tiaan Koekemoer who joins us from Northerns.”

The Eastern Province Selectors today announced the squad as follows:

David White
Kirwin Christoffels
Colin Ackermann (Captain)
Kelly Smuts
James Price
Sinthembiso Ndwandwa (Wicketkeeper)
Tiaan Koekemoer
Solo Nqweni
Brad Dolley
Tladi Bokako
Ngazibini Sigwili
Ethan O’Reilly
Akhona Kula
Coach: Piet Botha
Assistant Coach: Wandile Gwavu

SeamUp

International Coach
Levi happy to be back home - Local Cricket

Levi happy to be back home
October 6 2015 at 12:48pm
By Zaahier Adams

South African-born Kolpak cricketers have an uneasy relationship in both the countries that they ply their trade in.

In England they are viewed as mercenaries only based in the United Kingdom to profit from the vastly superior exchange rate while denying young English cricketers an opportunity. Back home they experience even less love with locals branding them as “sell-outs” and having “turned their back on their country” as a player only becomes eligible to sign for an English county as a Kolpak after he gives up his right to play for his country.

Cape Cobras opening batsman Richard Levi is one such player. Levi, who is still the record-holder of the fastest T20I century by a Proteas player, has just returned to Newlands from a season playing as a Kolpak for Nottinghamshire where he was his team’s leading run-scorer in the T20 Blast (485 runs at 34.64) and averaged 44.20 in the County Championship.

Considering Levi spearheaded the Cobras’ march to the RamSlam T20 title last season by topping the national run-scorers list with 392 runs too, it seems that at only 27-years-old it is almost a waste that Levi may never play for South Africa again. “Do I want to play for the Proteas again? Of course I want to. I loved playing for my country. But what was I supposed to do? Since I returned from my back injury, I have been consistently among the top five run-scorers in both limited-overs formats of the game locally and I haven’t received a single call from a national selector,” Levi said.

“Nobody has bothered to call me, to chat to me, or to explain to me where I stand in the system. I would love to play for South Africa again, but at this stage of my career I am concentrating solely on doing well for Nottinghamshire and now back in Cape Town for the Cobras. It’s great to be back at Newlands and it’s great to come back to a team that is always challenging for silverware as that motivates you to keep the team on top of the perch.”

When Cobras’ coach Paul Adams opens up the newspaper this morning at his favourite coffee shop and reads the latter statement, it will certainly bring a smile to his face.

There was always the danger that Levi could’ve returned a bit jaded after a long season – Adams has given Levi’s Nottinghamshire teammate Rory Kleinveldt a three-week break – but the fact that he is hungry to take on the Lions’ bowlers in Saturday’s One-Day Cup opener at the Wanderers bodes well for the season ahead.

Perhaps it does help that Levi is excited with the prospect of returning to one of his favourite hunting grounds. The burly opener has gorged himself at the Bullring in recent years where he has taken full advantage of the good batting pitch and fast outfield. “It will be nice to go back to the Bullring. I’ve batted okay there over the last while haven’t I? We don’t usually play one-day cricket at the Wanderers at this time of the year, so I don’t expect a belter.

“But saying that, the outfield is always really quick and with the ground being at altitude, anything you hit in the air really travels. So I am looking forward to having a crack and hopefully I can help the Cobras get off to a good start.”

Adams has yet to finalise his squad, but at this stage it is safe to assume that injured Beuran Hendricks and Wayne Parnell will not yet be part of the plans.

SeamUp

International Coach
Lopsy still motivated to play for Proteas - Proteas Cricket

Lopsy still motivated to play for Proteas

Lions left-arm quick Lonwabo Tsotsobe is still motivated to play for the Proteas should his services be required in the near future.

Tsotsobe, 31, has not played for the Proteas since March 2014 in a T20 International and it’s been almost two years since he represented South Africa in a One Day International.

“That’s always the motivation for me. I’m still a CSA contracted player,” said Tsotsobe on Tuesday at the Wanderers, where the Lions were preparing for their opening Momentum Cup match against the Cape Cobras at the same venue on Saturday.

“That’s why I always strive for success because I don’t like being mediocre. I like performing and coming out on top because I hate losing. But it comes down to what you put in. The Proteas motivate me and getting back there is what I want.”

With the T20 World Cup around the corner in India in March next year, the experienced bowler may be in contention with another strong season domestically.

“I’m not a guy that looks far ahead. You can perform as much as you want, it’s up to the selectors to pick you. Those guys are also looking for the 12 or 15 that will go out there and represent our country best. I might not be among those names, or I might be, so I’ll do my best to put doubt in the selectors’ minds.”

Tsotsobe also had a good tour of India in August where he topped the bowling averages in the Triangular series. There he averaged 32 with the ball with five wickets in four matches, in conditions nowhere near suited to fast bowling on the flat Indian pitches.

The veteran of 61 ODIs said he was past the point in his career where he still had something to prove, instead he would keep focussing on putting in the hard work needed to be successful in top flight cricket.

“I don’t think I’ve got any point to prove, I’ve been on that stage before. I’ve come out on top. It’s just a matter of being patient. You’ve got young guys like Kagiso Rabada coming up, it would be unfair of me to say I’ll just walk back into the side.

“All I need to do is work hard like I did in India. Luckily the wickets in South Africa have some bounce, whereas in India it was just flat. Here if I follow the same processes, I’ll do well.”

With talent like Rabada, 20, coming through the ranks it was important the players were well managed according to Tsotsobe.

“I just hope that those youngsters are well looked after. We always say there are youngsters coming through, but they’re not always looked after very well. I’m just hoping that CSA or their respective franchises will look after them so they can progress to the next level.”

SeamUp

International Coach
One-Day Cup crucial for future Proteas - Local Cricket

One-Day Cup crucial for future Proteas

Amidst the drama of the Rugby World Cup, the spectacular though lengthy Tour of India by the Proteas and Bafana Bafana boarding their flight late because, shambolically, the players visas weren’t ready, the start of the Momentum One-Day Cup seems like a tiny blip on the South African sporting radar.

However, it is an important blip. The nature of the sporting calendar these days means the start of the country’s premier limited overs competition on Friday will receive little fanfare.

However, it’s a crucial time for one-day cricket in this country – especially for the national side.

Everyone associated with the Proteas acknowledges that the limited overs unit is in transition and so South Africa must look to twist and tinker over the next few years before achieving some modicum of stability when they begin building towards the 2019 Cricket World Cup in England.

The Momentum One-Day Cup, therefore, plays a critical role.

Last season saw the likes of Theunis de Bruyn, Khaya Zondo and Andile Phehlukwayo make an impression.

For De Bruyn and Phehlukwayo, in particular, it’s crucial they start the new competition well and build on what they produced last year.

Zondo has already received an international call-up and alongside Kagiso Rabada is the first of the new breed being given an opportunity to carve an opening at international level.

At the competition’s launch last week it was interesting to note the presence of the entire new panel of selectors, chaired by Linda Zondi.

Those gentlemen know the importance of casting their selection net as wide as possible over the next couple of seasons – a selection policy reiterated by veteran left-arm spinner Robin Petersen.

Among the young players fighting for attention this season will be KwaZulu-Natal speedster Daryn Dupavillon and his teammate at the Dolphins Calvin Savage.

Meanwhile, the Highveld Lions – shorn of so many household names owing to national call-ups – will hope younger players like Bjorn Fortiun and Shaylen Pillay can get up to speed quickly.

This season is a very open competition, not least because it takes a three month break at the end of October before resuming again at the end of January.

The reason for that is to get the (hopefully) lucrative RamSlam T20 Challenge completed in five weeks – allowing a star name like Kevin Pietersen to display his wares – and also to allow the Sunfoil Series four-day competition to run along side the Test series with England in December and January.

Likewise, the concluding half of the Momentum One-Day Cup will run parallel to the five-match ODI series with the English, allowing the selectors – should they wish to be flexible – to pick players who are already in rhythm with that particular format.

The opening match of the Momentum One-Day Cup sees the defending champions the Titans face the Warriors in Centurion, while the Lions open their campaign at The Wanderers on Saturday against last season’s runners-up, the Cape Cobras. - The Star

SeamUp

International Coach
The Lions played an inter-squad game yesterday and Bavuma stroked a century. He looks in good touch at the moment.

Lions team expected : Cook, vd Dussen, Petersen, Bavuma, McKenzie, Tsolekile, Pretorius, Fortuin, Viljoen, Matshikwe, Tsotsobe

Leie will come back in when back from India.

So guys like Conway, Hendricks, Pillay, McGillivray, Dudgeon, Le Roux are in the wings.

No idea where Jean Symes is. He is contracted and was playing in Ireland but nowhere to be seen.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Lions played an inter-squad game yesterday and Bavuma stroked a century. He looks in good touch at the moment.

Lions team expected : Cook, vd Dussen, Petersen, Bavuma, McKenzie, Tsolekile, Pretorius, Fortuin, Viljoen, Matshikwe, Tsotsobe

So guys like Conway, Hendricks, Pillay, McGillivray, Dudgeon, Le Roux are in the wings.

No idea where Jean Symes is. He is contracted and was playing in Ireland but nowhere to be seen.
bizhub Highveld Lions Squad: Stephen Cook, Rassie van der Dussen, Alviro Peterson, Neil McKenzie, Temba Bavuma, Thami Tsolekile, Shaylen Pillay, Dwaine Pretorius, Hardus Viljoen, Bjorn Fortuin, Pumelela Matshikwe, Matt McGillavray, Devon Conway.

Marius

International Debutant

Was wondering about Jean Symes the other day. Useful to guy to have in your team, has played some good knocks in the LO side, and bowls OK spin.

Is he still contracted by the Lions? Maybe he's injured?

EDIT: He's contracted to the Lions for this season: Highveld Lions reveal squad | Sport24

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Was wondering about Jean Symes the other day. Useful to guy to have in your team, has played some good knocks in the LO side, and bowls OK spin.

Is he still contracted by the Lions? Maybe he's injured?

EDIT: He's contracted to the Lions for this season: Highveld Lions reveal squad | Sport24
He was injured for the whole of last season basically but I see he was milking it in Ireland in the winter and seems like he was adored there. In an article I saw he returned home, assuming it was to go back to the Lions.

He has to be injured.

SeamUp

International Coach
DOLPHINS squad for the KNIGHTS at the PMB Oval on Saturday

Cameron DELPORT, Morne VAN WYK, Tshepang DITHOLE, Cody CHETTY, Vaughn VAN JAARSVELD, Sibonelo MAKHANYA
Ryan MCLAREN, Robbie FRYLINCK, Andile PHEHLUKWAYO
Keshav MAHARAJ, Kyle NIPPER
Craig ALEXANDER, Mathew PILLANS

Head coach Lance Klusener has chosen a 13-man squad which offers a good blend of experience and youthful exuberance and, after a sound pre-season campaign, is looking forward to Sunday’s season opener as they look to enjoy a fruitful 2015/16 campaign across all formats.

“Ideally we’d like to win all competitions; that’s where we are as a squad and that’s the expectation from management. It’s a tough ask but I don’t think it’s an ask that we can’t achieve,” said Klusener.

“I think we’ve got an excellent mix; guys like Morné (van Wyk), Ryan McLaren, Robbie Frylinck – guys that have been around for a long time – and then also guys that have been in the system for five or six years now.

“We’re in a great position and now we’ve got to go do the work on the field!” he added.

While the likes of Craig Alexander, Cody Chetty, Keshav Maharaj and Cameron Delport will look to build on the experienced they’ve gained over the past few seasons, there is also room for Maritzburg hometown heroes Kyle Nipper, Tshepang Dithole and Mat Pillans in the squad as well.

“Kyle (Nipper) has put a couple of decent seasons together for Inland and so I think he’s ripe for the opportunity,” said Klusener.

“Tshepang had been with Gauteng U19 and then spent some time with (Mfuneko Ngam) with his academy at Fort Hare, he played a little bit for Border and now he’s now at KZN Inland.

“He really impressed us in our pre-season games, he had an excellent Academy Week as well and a good little cricketer that given the opportunity and exposure to franchise cricket can go a long way.”

Captain Morné van Wyk has enjoyed the pre-season build-up however the vastly experienced campaigner is now relishing the opportunity to return to the environment when the hard work really counts.

“I can’t remember being this excited for a season for a very long time; felt for a while now that I’m ready for the season just to start now!” said Van Wyk.

“I personally feel my game is in a really good place and now I just want to get out there; I love being in the middle, I’m feeling very comfortable and I’m keen to make contributions out there.

“A big part of what makes the journey special for me is also getting to mix with people and spending time with friends, team mates, the coaches and so the fact that we are such a great squad makes it even more exciting!”

The recently concluded inaugural edition of the Africa T20 Cup saw KZN Inland advance to the final while their KZN counterparts fell just short in their semi-final outing against tournament winners Northerns.

Emerging young talent Andile Phehlukwayo was a member of the KZN side and believes the tournament provided himself and other youngsters now in the Sunfoil Dolphins squad with a golden opportunity to hone their skills ahead of this weekend’s clash.

“I think the Africa T20 Cup helped a few of us a lot in preparing for the upcoming season,” said Phehlukwayo.

“I know for (Sibonelo) Makhanya, myself and a couple other guys who are bordering on franchise cricket it was good preparation and I learnt a lot from the likes of David (Miller).

“It was really exciting and I’m really keen for the season,” he added.
KZN COASTAL team for the 3-day starting Thursday and the 1-day game on Sunday v KZN INLAND at Kingsmead

Khalipa CELE
Bruce KERR
Jonathan VANDIAR
Daniel SINCUBA
Senuran MUTHUSAMY
Daryn SMIT
Calvin SAVAGE
Prenelan SUBRAYEN
Craig KIRSTEN
Daryn DUPAVILLON
Avoya MYOLI

All locally produced bar Myoli. Kerr to make his debut at this level.

Think this team can beat the Dolphins.

KZN Inland should have Dolphins 4-day players Imraan KHAN and Divan VAN WYK in their squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting developments at the Warriors

Rusty Theron has informed CEC that he will be retiring from cricket with immediate effect. Rusty is currently overseas and we are awaiting a statement from him but would like to (in his absence) thank him for the years he took to the field as a valued member of the Warriors team. His energy and precision death bowling made him one of the best in his field.
Former Dolphins CEO has moved to the Warriors so it won't surprise me if they start shopping for some of those young Dolphins quicks. Watch this space.

Warriors team to travel to Pretoria for the Momentum match against the Titans is as follows:

Colin Ingram (Capt)
Christiaan Jonker
Simon Harmer
Jon-Jon Smuts
Andrew Birch
Gihahn Cloete
Sisanda Magala
Lundi Mbane
Basheer Walters
Yaseen Vallie
Clyde Fortuin
Somila Seyibokwe
Jerry Nqolo
Aya Gqamane

SeamUp

International Coach
Jon-Jon Smuts' hundred as captain for the Warriors in the absence of Ingram in the opening round of Momentum 1-day cup was a good step up for himself as a player.

Stephen Cook carried on where he left off last season.

van Zyl & Elgar looked good until giving away their wickets softly.

Suppose Philander looked sharp.

Maharaj and von Berg bowled nicely as spinners.

Marius

International Debutant
Jon-Jon Smuts' hundred as captain for the Warriors in the absence of Ingram in the opening round of Momentum 1-day cup was a good step up for himself as a player.

Stephen Cook carried on where he left off last season.

van Zyl & Elgar looked good until giving away their wickets softly.

Suppose Philander looked sharp.

Maharaj and von Berg bowled nicely as spinners.
Really hope Stephen Cook gets a national call-up sometime. He may be too old now, but he's really been batting like a champ over the past few seasons.