• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Frank Tyson

watson

Banned
His second innings spell during the Sydney Test of 1954 was probably his best and fastest, although he was pretty lethal at Melbourne as well. The Lindwall bouncer that struck the back of his skull probably provided the extra motivation on the last day.

After the match Tom Graveney recalled: "I was 50 yards back at slip to Frank and nearer the pavilion gate than the wicket. It was like fielding tracer bullets.”

When England batted again, Lindwall sent a searing short delivery at Tyson, which skidded through and hit him on the back of his head. As Tyson collapsed in a heap, partner Bill Edrich cried out, “My God, Lindy, you’ve killed him!” The Northant bowler floated in and out of consciousness and had to be led off the field. It was doubtful whether he would take further part in the match. However, he returned to batafter x-rays and was bowled by Lindwall almost immediately.

In the end, the Australians needed 223 to win. And Tyson ran in. It was sheer pace that beat Les Favell, the ball fended to Edrich. Harvey and Jim Burke took the total to 74 for two at close of the fourth day’s play. The next day, while Statham bowled uphill and into the wind, Tyson came searing down the slope from the Randwick End with what EW Swanton called “half a gale behind him”. His spell was described by Swanton in superlative terms: “as fast as man has ever bowled”.

In the second over of the day, he yorked Burke and Hole, and neither of them really saw the ball. With the fast men of the Australian line up, Ron Archer and Lindwall, expecting bouncers in response to the knock he had taken, Tyson intelligently kept the ball right up. Both the men were bowled. England won by 38 runs, and Tyson finished with six for 85 — resulting in match figures of 10 for 130. Australian captain Arthur Morris remarked, “Such fine bowling deserved to win.”

Till then branded a ‘four-over wonder’, his demonstration of speed and stamina was a revelation. Standing at the slips, Tom Graveney used two ominous words to describe his pace, words that have found their way into cricketing cliché. “I 50 yards back at slip to Frank and nearer the pavilion gate than the wicket. It was like fielding tracer bullets.”

Frank Tyson: ?The Typhoon? struck terror with the cricket ball - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
RIP - one of the quickest of all, and surely the only great fast man likely to quote Wordsworth to batsmen in between deliveries.

It feels like we're losing a depressingly high number of the old champions this year.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only Long Tom left from the England side of 54/55 now - Australia do a little better, Neil Harvey, Len Maddocks and Bill Watson all still with us

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember an interview with Richie Benaud - never one of the ;in my day' group in which he said Tyson was the fastest bowler he ever seen.

Good enough for me.

Midwinter

State Captain
A favourite cricket story about Frank Tyson

Northants were playing some county and Tyson was the new star that everyone had heard of and came along to see. Northhants were in the field first and Tyson marked out his long run and finally ran in and bowled, whereupon a strange hissing sound arose from the crowd, the observer had never heard it before and was quite mystified. After each delivery of Tysons' over the noise arose again, only lessening in its intensity.

The observer continued to be puzzled as to what the sound was till at the lunch break, when taking some refreshment while talking to friends he realised it the hissing noise was the sound of 10,000 people saying "jesus" all at the same time.

:)