• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flintoff and bowling

Flem274*

123/5
WTF? Talk about quote mining me. The sentence I used was "Not saying Flintoff wasn't a fine cricketer......". you ****.

Way to take someone completely out of context, this is even below CG quoting standards.
Haha I was joking at your typo mate chill

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I didn't say that Flintoff caused it, but that afterwards he was not the same. Which is categorically true, Perth or not..
Come on mate, you were implying that was the reason, otherwise why say 'some would say he never recovered'? Whereas the far more logical reason is like many of the greatest aggressive hand-eye batsmen such as Viv Richards & Sehwag, Gilly's batting naturally declined slightly as time went on....a more likely reason he averaged 32 post '05.
Crux of the issue. Rate Fred or don't as you feel. But downplaying his achievements in that ashes series and his others in that time period - such as his display as captain away to India - is to ignore not just impressive numbers but his impact on both the opposition and his team mates, and therefore matches and series as a whole
It's not a dichotomy for me. I both rate him, just feel he gets slightly overrated, particularly by his home fans.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Look I wasn't saying that after the 2005 Ashes Gilchrist went to bed at night screaming himself to sleep at the thought of Freddie coming round the wicket.

But. Gilly came into that series as the danger man, an average around fifty and if England were to have a hope of getting close they needed to restrict him. We did. There was no suggestion of hand eye going beforehand.

But once all was said and done and the urn was home, the world knew that Gilchrist was human after all. Yeah sure, maybe it was all of the natural factors and that, who knows exactly why. Freddie owned him and that was it for Gilchrist. Top and bottom of it.