• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry, but Santner is really not a good option at this stage. Hell, we could've even given Grant Elliott the call up.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Santner's there as an option if Neesham fails/breaks and Craig is average, so they decide to play 4 genuine quicks.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a terrible option though because Craig is probably just as good of a test batsman as Santner, a much better bowler and (most importantly IMO) has made himself an absolutely integral slips fielder.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah you're probably right, but I have little issue with Santner going for experience/"oh **** Craig broke a finger and Adelaide is magically a dustbowl" cover

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's a terrible option though because Craig is probably just as good of a test batsman as Santner, a much better bowler and (most importantly IMO) has made himself an absolutely integral slips fielder.
I think you're being a bit harsh on Santner. He is being picked on potential and is definitely being eyed as a long term option.

Since his horrid first year when he was still a teenager, he has actually been fairly decent with the bat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
In which case why not Todd Astle? Or Sodhi?
Or take Munro in the squad. Or Wagner if you want a bowler.
I know they've been developing Santner but I can't see the point in his selection yet. He's nowhere close to being good enough with either bat or ball.

May as well pick Milne if you're going to throw a hail mary.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because all of those blokes suck more than Santner. The guy scored a solid 90 in the top order when we toured England. Sure in a tour game but he didn't exactly spoil his chances at being in the wider squad there did he?

No one thinks he should be starting, but there is some logic to him being brought in to the team to cover an allrounder role.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe I'm being harsh.

I certainly understand the desire to get him around the squad - a batsman who can bowl left arm spin would be a bloody nice addition to the team when we tour the SC.
I just feel that right now he hasn't developed enough and is a no-rounder. Harsh yes, but it's really hard for me to envisage him scoring runs or taking wickets on this tour.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Main question for me is, if Neesham gets injured, will they send Brownlie over to bat 6? He's the clear best option for Australian conditions and had success there last time, but is now 90% of the way to transforming himself into an opener. Not enough of an opener to replace Rutherford but too much of an opener to bat at 6? That would be unfortunate tstl.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Santner is the best young batsman in the country, only natural he'd be the pick.
Interested to hear the rationale for Santner over Will Young, to see if it extends past his place of birth.

Santner isn't near the next best batsman or spinner. So we've canned the Sodhi experiment and now are running with the Santner experiment.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Strange pick for mine. Santner nowhere near ready as batsman or bowler IMO, and even otherwise Australia would be the last place to blood him. I suppose McHesson consider him the closest as a like-for-like replacement but still, better options in all departments:

Allrounder: Munro or maybe even Elliott
Spinner: Sodhi or Astle as has been said
Batsman: Brownlie, but the only way I see him being added to the squad is if one of the openers get injured. Should any of the top 6 get injured, their order of preference would likely be 1) Ronchi takes the gloves, Watling moves up, 2) Fit Rutherford in there and perhaps move Gupill down 3) Santner if Neesham is injured