• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia vs England, comparing the grounds. Which is each other's counterpart?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And which is superior IYO?

I think it's fair to say Lords = MCG... and given they both traditionally host the final test of the series, The Oval = SCG.

Old Trafford = WACA (Both fast pacy pitches?)

Trent Bridge = Adelaide? (Meant to beautiful)

Headingley = Gabba (I dunno)

Edgbaston = Bellerive? (off the mainland!)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lord's is more the SCG than MCG for mine. The MCG is amazing but lacks the old pavilion which, to me anyway, makes the SCG more comparable to Lord's. I was at both the MCG and Lord's over the Australian winter, and I didn't really catch much parallel in the two grounds. Both epic and amazing, but a very different vibe.

Am looking at the SCG Members' Pavilion to host our wedding next year, actually. Ceremony on the ground with ****tails and canapés afterwards in the Members' Bar. Something a bit different, but we both love cricket.

_Ed_

Am looking at the SCG Members' Pavilion to host our wedding next year, actually. Ceremony on the ground with ****tails and canapés afterwards in the Members' Bar. Something a bit different, but we both love cricket.
That sounds fantastic. Hope it's an amazing day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lord's is more the SCG than MCG for mine. The MCG is amazing but lacks the old pavilion which, to me anyway, makes the SCG more comparable to Lord's. I was at both the MCG and Lord's over the Australian winter, and I didn't really catch much parallel in the two grounds. Both epic and amazing, but a very different vibe.

Plot twist - wedding guests must be SCG Members.

Spikey

A regular Jim Maxwell this guy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Spent the tour of Lords with some flog spending the whole time talking about how he'd played (footy) at the MCG, and constantly comparing the two.

"Oh, there's no slope at the MCG"
"Gee, the MCG is much bigger"

Wanted to turn around and swat the bloke. Tried to claim I was from NZ.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Spent the tour of Lords with some flog spending the whole time talking about how he'd played (footy) at the MCG, and constantly comparing the two.

"Oh, there's no slope at the MCG"
"Gee, the MCG is much bigger"

Wanted to turn around and swat the bloke. Tried to claim I was from NZ.
Wasn't a bloke in his 40s with a hatred for mints was it? :ph34r:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

I'm still waiting for the invitation to arrive in the post, ftr.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't get why we're comparing cricket grounds to AFL stadia anyway.
We should convert some English grounds into afl ones. Can fit more people in and create an awesome atmosphere, and get an awesome sport there too.

Furball you can finally see a Tigers game at Lords

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
We should convert some English grounds into afl ones. Can fit more people in and create an awesome atmosphere, and get an awesome sport there too.

Furball you can finally see a Tigers game at Lords
Forward pockets might present an interesting new challenge.

Burgey

Bloke who took he Lords tour when I was there said the playing surface is almost the same size as the MCG. Shame it has those stupid corners*

* I may have said that, not the tour guide