• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over by 30 XI

aussie tragic

International Captain
The key bit here is the age of 30 (or 31, if the case is special enough).
Bob Simpson was 31 when he retired in 1968 after 52 tests. It was only because of WSC that he came back for 10 more tests 10 years later

Also Shaun Tait, last Test at 22 and last ODI/T20i at 28

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bob Massie had retired from all cricket before the age of 30. It would be a minor stretch to call him an all time great. But on a seaming pitch under grey skies at Lords he was unplayable.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Collie Smith, Amar Singh and Ken Wadsworth all died aged 29. Jock Cameron died aged 30, but had played about a dozen matches after turning 30.

JJ Ferris played only 2 matches after turning 30.

There are probably plenty of pre-WW1 amateurs who left the game voluntarily before they were 30, e.g. CT Studd who played in the Ashes Test, and became a missionary in his mid 20s.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Lathwell was 29 when he retired from all cricket.
Brooke Walker was 28 when he retired from all cricket.
David Lawrence was 29 when he retired from all cricket.

There's the three that came to mind when I clicked on this thread.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Lathwell was 29 when he retired from all cricket.
Brooke Walker was 28 when he retired from all cricket.
David Lawrence was 29 when he retired from all cricket.

There's the three that came to mind when I clicked on this thread.
He made a brief comeback in 1997 aged 33. Though on paper he still probably counts.

Days of Grace

International Captain
The typhoon Frank Tyson had blown himself out by age 30.

Tom Richardson, too, if you're only talking test cricket.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Colin Milburn is another player who retired in his 20s, then tried to make a comeback in his 30s.

Fred Bakewell was another England opener forced to retire in his 20s after a car crash (in his case, he never managed to make a comeback).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which isn't under 30 as far as I can tell

Let's save him for the "Over by 32 XI"

Except that he did play professional T20s this year so not really
OP said exceptions for those who were 31. Well I suppose he meant under 31. Whatever

kingkallis

International Coach
Sadagoppan Ramesh /
Akash Chopra /
Asim Kamal /
Vinod Kambli /
Geraint Jones / +
Alex Tudor o /
Shayne O'Connor o
Brett Schultz o

Last edited: