• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Completely OTT ATG England Thread

Best England Team? Make 3 Votes.

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botham is an English ATG front line bowler. Very reasonable case for him being better than Larwood and Snow.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
if you're worried about englands lower order then you have to pick ames or dare i say it, prior over one of the superior gloveman.

two batsman of undoubted quality who greatly strengthen the batting.

harsh.ag

if you're worried about englands lower order then you have to pick ames or dare i say it, prior over one of the superior gloveman.

Knott's as good as Prior. Ames is a good alternative if you want a wk-batsman.

watson

Banned

Les Ames averaged 27.00 against Australia. Not overly exciting.

Ames did average 58.57 against NZ, but during the 1930s I'm not overly excited about that either. Especially as Cowie didn't feature during his 2 centuries.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Les Ames averaged 27.00 against Australia. Not overly exciting.

Ames did average 58.57 against NZ, but during the 1930s I'm not overly excited about that either. Especially as Cowie didn't feature during his 2 centuries.
True, but the runs he did score against Australia were against either Grimmett or O'Reilly or both. Ames scored thousands of runs at home in First Class against so many great bowlers.

the big bambino

International Captain
Ames' singular failure as a bat was against Australia in Australia. He succeeded against everyone and everywhere else. All players have a bad stat they'd like to hide away like a mad uncle. Ames has less reason to be embarrassed than most.

His biggest fault was his myopia assessing the greatness of fellow Kent players.

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
The question of Botham, like Thomson for Australia, is whether you're picking "peak player" or "whole test career". After 50 tests Botham was averaging almost 37 with the bat and just under 23 with the ball.

When I put him in these sides, I tend to think I'm picking the slim, fit, Botham who could swing it late both ways at genuine pace, not the peroxided, big bellied medium pacer he became.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
My intuition is to leave Botham out, play an ATG batsman at 6, and be happy with 4 front line bowlers plus Dexter/Hammond who actually weren't that bad. If you had the likes of Hadlee coming in at No.8 after Knott/Ames then that might swing things in favour of picking Botham. But with Verity or Larwood being the best tailenders (unless you pick Tate), then 6 to 11 looks quite vulnerable over all. In recent years we've seen the value of lower order runs, but with most of the above England XIs we are looking at a probable collapse once 5 or 6 wickets are down.

But because Botham is such an icon you are completely going against the cricketing zeitgeist if you leave him out of any England XI. And understandably so.

If I were to rethink then my team might be;

12. Watson's XI
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Len Hutton
03. Ted Dexter
04. Peter May
05. Walter Hammond
06. Denis Compton
07. Alan Knott
08. Hedley Verity
09. Alec Bedser
10. John Snow
11. Fred Trueman

Better balanced?
the other one was better imo

watson

Banned
The question of Botham, like Thomson for Australia, is whether you're picking "peak player" or "whole test career". After 50 tests Botham was averaging almost 37 with the bat and just under 23 with the ball.

When I put him in these sides, I tend to think I'm picking the slim, fit, Botham who could swing it late both ways at genuine pace, not the peroxided, big bellied medium pacer he became.
That's a good reason to play Botham at No.6 and give the attack extra depth.

However, even if assume Botham to be in his prime I don't think that he is in the same class as Larwood, Trueman, Snow, Bedser, or Barnes. Not far off, but on bowling alone Botham lacks the same fire-power. Although, I dare say it would be possible to drag up some stats to try and prove otherwise.

Botham plays at No.6 and is the 3rd or 4th seamer, or becomes the 12th man.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Hobbs
Hutton
Barrington
Hammond
Compton
Grace
Botham
Knott
Larwood
Trueman
Barnes

Grace and Hammond for 5th bowling duties. Deep batting with strokemakers down the order. Bowling could have been better with Laker, but it's not that big of a loss.

Pothas

Interesting and slightly surprising to see neither Willis or Anderson in any of the sides. I don't think I would pick them either but I do think they belong in the discussion. For me 9 names come quite easily with my only doubt being Barrington. I can see the logic of leaving out Botham but really he just has to be in it. Grace would be an automatic choice if we were not just talking Test cricket.

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Compton
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Barnes

That leaves two spots. One to a spinner, although I suppose you could just go with Barnes but it would seem a bit strange not to have another one. Don't really have strong opinions on who it should be, any of Laker, Vertiy or Underwood. Probably Laker but I might personally side with Verity.

Then there are loads of candidates for the last spot. Most people seem to go with Larwood and I can easily go along with that but I do think Anderson and Willis are real contenders, hell maybe even Broad in a couple of years. I suppose you have to think about who is number 8 so one of those last two places needs taking by someone who was decent with the bat.

watson

Banned
Interesting and slightly surprising to see neither Willis or Anderson in any of the sides. I don't think I would pick them either but I do think they belong in the discussion. For me 9 names come quite easily with my only doubt being Barrington. I can see the logic of leaving out Botham but really he just has to be in it. Grace would be an automatic choice if we were not just talking Test cricket.

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Compton
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Barnes

That leaves two spots. One to a spinner, although I suppose you could just go with Barnes but it would seem a bit strange not to have another one. Don't really have strong opinions on who it should be, any of Laker, Vertiy or Underwood. Probably Laker but I might personally side with Verity.

Then there are loads of candidates for the last spot. Most people seem to go with Larwood and I can easily go along with that but I do think Anderson and Willis are real contenders, hell maybe even Broad in a couple of years. I suppose you have to think about who is number 8 so one of those last two places needs taking by someone who was decent with the bat.
With Botham, Knott, Trueman and Barnes in the latter half of the batting order you almost have to pick Verity and Larwood at 8 & 9 to shore-up the tail. If you pick Underwood and Willis for example, then a final 4 of Trueman-Underwood-Barnes-Willis would be unacceptably weak.

I like your idea of possibly including Broad in an ATG team as he is an exceptional bowler and a natural No.8 - as is Maurice Tate.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Incidently, the top 10 best averages for English bowlers at No.8, 10 Tests or more, are;

1. Craig White - 400 runs at 50.00
2. Walter Robins - 390 runs at 32.50
3. John Emburey - 752 runs at 27.85
4. Stuart Broad - 1128 runs at 24.00
5. Chris Lewis - 523 runs 22.77
6. Maurice Tate - 446 runs at 22.30
7. Ashley Giles - 808 runs at 21.83
8. Tim Bresnan - 346 runs at 21.62
9. Johnny Wardle - 322 runs at 21.46
10. Phil De Freitas - 422 at 21.10

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you have a man with over 5000 runs, 14 centuries and 383 wickets you pick him and build around it not scratch around wondering if he should get in. Of course the last 5 years were pants, but when people name Muhammad Ali as the greatest ever boxer they're not referring to the shuffling wreck that fought Holmes and Berbick.

harsh.ag

If you have a man with over 5000 runs, 14 centuries and 383 wickets you pick him and build around it not scratch around wondering if he should get in. Of course the last 5 years were pants, but when people name Muhammad Ali as the greatest ever boxer they're not referring to the shuffling wreck that fought Holmes and Berbick.
But if someone feels all of Trueman, Larwood, Barnes, and Snow are better bowlers than Botham (not to mention Bedser), then having six batsmen and four bowlers with Hammond serving as the 5th bowler may yield a better team.

For example, removing Miller from the Aussie team and having Steve Waugh at number 6 (and him and Border sharing 5th bowling duties) may strengthen the side from one perspective.

As has been pointed out, you really only need one or two ATG bowlers to be performing awesomely to destroy any all star batting line up (as has been seen many times).