• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Actions

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Just wanted to bring up the topic of bowling actions.

What does the job in your opinion? Also some classic actions that you admire from international players.

Personally, i hate to see bowlers with the 'slingshot' type action, for example Tait. It just looks unnatural and technically not sound.

Anyway I would love to hear your opinions on this.

Regards
Dave

Swervy

International Captain
by the slingshot action do you mean something like Jeff Thomsons...it was very effective for him...but did put alot of strain on his body.

Brett lees action is very good I think...but Lillee's was the most fluent I have ever seen...oh and Hadlee's as well

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
As long as they don't have an action like Harmison's (one that limits your effectiveness as a bowler and makes you spear the ball down legside a lot) then I don't really mind...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yes, like Thommo's action. I would imagen it to cut the length of your career down considerbly, as you mentioned the stress it would put on the body.

I always admired Darren Gough's action.

PY

International Coach
AUST_HiTMaN said:
I always admired Darren Gough's action.
When I read your first post, this was whom I thought of. :)

Shaun Pollock's action has always worried me because when I see it from side-on view it looks if he is hyper-extending his knee when he plants it down during delivery stride.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I think that Mohammad Sami has a very fluent and flowing action, I think that west indians tend to have slightly less flowing actions

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Adam Sanford has a very smooth bowling action. It's a pity that it produces crap...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Shaun Pollock's action has always worried me because when I see it from side-on view it looks if he is hyper-extending his knee when he plants it down during delivery stride.

if he is that could cause him alot of problems, if he ever slips he might be out for 6 months with a torn ligament (i should know, i did mine 10 months ago :()

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
When I read your first post, this was whom I thought of. :)

Never noticed it about Pollock, but Kallis certainly does.:ouch:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
I think that Mohammad Sami has a very fluent and flowing action, I think that west indians tend to have slightly less flowing actions
Holding had the smoothest action ever, surely.
That was how he glided the the crease with so little noise (hence the "Whispering Death" etc...)
Bishop, Marshall, Ambrose and Harper (yes, Harper) all had very flowing actions, with various degrees of orthodoxy.
And regarding Sami, ditto Sanford - very fast action, shame it produces crap deliveries so often and wicket-taking ones so rarely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By common consent Hadlee had the best action ever.
My personal favourite after him is Dominic Cork, I've modelled myself on him combined with Goughie. My head position is as bad as his.:( And I've tried to do something about it so many times, it makes matters worse rather than better.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Never noticed it about Pollock, but Kallis certainly does.:ouch:

those who can hyper extend knees - it doesn't actually hurt to do it, hell until 10 months ago i didn't even know bad stuff could happen as a result.

twctopcat

International Regular
Joel Garner, purely for the fear of life he must have put into the batsmen when they saw him saunter up and slam the ball down from somewhere near 100ft:lol: