• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Actions

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Hi, im armadillo's older (11 months difference) brother:D. im using his screen name because i cant make 2 accounts on 1 computer.
anyway, ive always admired holding's action and especially hadlee's. for some reason, i also like fidel edwards' slingshot action even though im not a big fan of slingers.
i really dont know how harbajan can breath after hes bowled. he could be a good long jumper though.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Seriously, it must have been close to a 10th of that height.:wow:
6ft 8, plus at least half of that again. That's just insane, only seen a bit of footage of him but it's mad, he just seems so unreal compared all the other players. Walsh and Ambrose must have also been imposing, but nowhere near Bigbird's level.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald in his pomp had the finest action and wrist position you can get IMO.... he had the most amazing glide to the crease...

Honourable Mentions..

Glenn McGrath (easy to repeat)
Shoaib (Ideal for Speed)
Shane Warne (his action is the blueprint for most leggies)

Worst Actions....

Tino Best
Steve Harmison
Paul Adams

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Holding had the smoothest action ever, surely.
That was how he glided the the crease with so little noise (hence the "Whispering Death" etc...)
He was also called the Rolls Royce among fast bowlers, wasn't he?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Armadillo said:
Hi, im armadillo's older (11 months difference) brother:D. im using his screen name because i cant make 2 accounts on 1 computer.
anyway, ive always admired holding's action and especially hadlee's. for some reason, i also like fidel edwards' slingshot action even though im not a big fan of slingers.
i really dont know how harbajan can breath after hes bowled. he could be a good long jumper though.
Uh-oh, Danish is here!! :O :O

Run away, everyone!!

Anyway, what do you mean about Harbhajan? I don't understand.

a massive zebra

International Captain
twctopcat said:
6ft 8, plus at least half of that again. That's just insane, only seen a bit of footage of him but it's mad, he just seems so unreal compared all the other players. Walsh and Ambrose must have also been imposing, but nowhere near Bigbird's level.
Curtley Ambrose at 6ft 7 was only one inch shorter.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i've always liked shane bond's and waqar younis' style the best.

ganguly's action annoys me the most (and no, i don't just say that because i hate him in the first place), it looks like he's too scared to release the ball!

Last edited:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
cactus, why do you hate ganguly :)

look at my signature :)

as for bowling actions, i like waqar younis's action. I copied it long ago

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ReallyCrazy said:
cactus, why do you hate ganguly :)

look at my signature :)

as for bowling actions, i like waqar younis's action. I copied it long ago
[/QUOTE

ok ok, i admitt that i'm being rather prejudiced by saying that i hate him.:)
but he does annoy me. purely because i feel he is not fit to captain a side, any side let alone India. his fielding placements are a pet hate of mine (they drive me insane), and he really needs to improve his fielding abilities (get a few personal coaching sessions from Yuvraj!)

but i'm open for you to convince me otherwise.8D

Swervy

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Difference was Ambrose was relatively gangly whilst Garner was BIG .:O
garner in my opinion was the greatest bowler ever to have bowling in the last few overs of a one day game...he was one example of not great movement off the pitch, didnt swing the ball much and wasnt actually overly fast,but he had the most devestating yorker i have ever seen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anil said:
He was also called the Rolls Royce among fast bowlers, wasn't he?
I've never heard that one before, so many bowlers have so many nicknames, it's a trifle on the confusing side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
a massive zebra said:
Curtley Ambrose at 6ft 7 was only one inch shorter.
twctopcat said:
Difference was Ambrose was relatively gangly whilst Garner was BIG .:O
Swervy said:
garner in my opinion was the greatest bowler ever to have bowling in the last few overs of a one day game...he was one example of not great movement off the pitch, didnt swing the ball much and wasnt actually overly fast,but he had the most devestating yorker i have ever seen
The Garner Yorker is the stuff of legend.
For precisely that reason. Not only was he deadly with it's aim, his arms were long and adding to a 6"8 that made it, as I said, close to a 10 foot height of arm.
Whether or not most sightscreens could cover that, it's still a bit tricky to play.
A few bowlers have had Garner's height; if any have had his height and arm-length I'd like to have seen him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A lot of fast bolwers have fluent bowling actions (tto many to mention), but nit so for the spinnersfor some reason. Out of spinners I think Rafique has the most fluent action.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Out of spinners I think Rafique has the most fluent action.
Hmmm...I actually think he has one of the jerkiest spinners actions.

Warne has an incredibly fluent action.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
A lot of fast bolwers have fluent bowling actions (tto many to mention), but nit so for the spinnersfor some reason. Out of spinners I think Rafique has the most fluent action.
Harbhajan Singh might jump up and down and fling the arms about but it's all very synch.