• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Kane Williamson

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1. AB de Villiers
2. Joe Root
3. Hashim Amla
4. KW
5. Steve Smith

for mine

What is this based on? Test cricket? ODIs? All forms combined?

The only problem I have with people rating players across the different forms is;

1) If you're going to include ODIs, you might as well include T20s too &;
2) You really need to explain your weightings. If I was combining the 3 forms I'd probably give Tests at least a 65% weighting, ODIs 25% & T20s 10% (or something like that).

Personally I'm much more comfortably rating players on the individual forms and not combining them.

A number of Indians guys I know off forum do it all the time when bigging up Tendulkar as if ODIs have an equal footing with Test cricket, which always bugs me as more of a purist.

In fact a few of them seem to give more weighting to ODIs than tests, which tends to happen more in the subcontinent (generally speaking of course), and certainly not as much in the likes of England, Australia and NZ.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Just who I think has the greater skills as a cricket batsman. I suppose you could argue that I didn't account for T20 much but I'm not sold on T20 as a form of international cricket. I think T20 should be domestic only.

In general I'm comfortable with ODIs being of equal weight to Tests. They're both legitimate forms of international cricket imo.

Gob

International Coach
rating players across multiple formats is a **** job but i don't think that was what kiwidictator was doing

wait what?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Athlai still considers ABdV as a WB, so he's the WPWB being referred to, I believe.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ross is Boss
Haha

If Rossco tons up, even in a downhill skiing fashion, in the Aussie tour the CW swarm of Kiwis will erupt. Could be a sight to behold.

I have been planning my reaction for some weeks and have some jpegs ready to post.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Haha

If Rossco tons up, even in a downhill skiing fashion, in the Aussie tour the CW swarm of Kiwis will erupt. Could be a sight to behold.

I have been planning my reaction for some weeks and have some jpegs ready to post.
I won't name names but someone may say that his strike rate of 50-60 in scoring a century is far too slow for test cricket and advocate that Rosco gets dropped for Colin Munro.

Actually if Rosco tons up, he will go past Astle as the scorer of most international centuries for NZ.

Spark

Global Moderator
Surely any combined rating including ODIs should give fair amount of weight to the bloke who scored 50s in every WC knockout game.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I won't name names but someone may say that his strike rate of 50-60 in scoring a century is far too slow for test cricket and advocate that Rosco gets dropped for Colin Munro.

Actually if Rosco tons up, he will go past Astle as the scorer of most international centuries for NZ.
If he tons up I may get one of those temporary tattoos saying Ross is Boss.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah a better question would be Root v Williamson

I feel they are closer and probably make up no. 2 or 3 in the world right now
Nah no way. Bigger gap between he and Williamson than their is Williamson and Smith, which is minimal at best.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think CW is parochial enough. Get Kohli and Bravo involved so we can include India and WW is these handbags.

The answer to this "who is best" ftr is Ross Taylor, BJ Watling, Angelo Mathews and Ajinkya Rahane take a steaming dump on all of these jumped up little zits. Nasir Hossain goes all right too.

Last edited: