• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big Upsets

harry674

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah but u said it was all masacre now the recent vb series final was what i call a real masaccree not the WC final.

actually at some point india could have got away with (unfair?) victory with help of rain, now do u call this a masacre.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
harry674 said:
actually at some point india could have got away with (unfair?) victory with help of rain, now do u call this a masacre.
No, they couldn't because the rain rule only comes in after 25 overs, and by that point, there was no chance of rain and Aus were on top anyway.

tooextracool

International Coach
the bang vs **** match from wc 99 was fixed!! i mean wasim akram was smiling like his team just won the world cup or sometin. in the post match interview he says "we lost to our brotherS". i know ppl will say whats wrong with smiling, but for a captain whos team just lost to bang and is on the decline he should be seriously worried not happy!
just imagine the returns someone who bet on bangladesh winning the match would have got! against pakistan the favourites of the tournament and everything the odds would have been 1000/1 and anybody who put heap loads of cash would be instantly rich

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
tooextracool said:
just imagine the returns someone who bet on bangladesh winning the match would have got! against pakistan the favourites of the tournament and everything the odds would have been 1000/1 and anybody who put heap loads of cash would be instantly rich
The odds were only 12/1. And I had a right few quid on as well.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
tooextracool said:
the bang vs **** match from wc 99 was fixed!! i mean wasim akram was smiling like his team just won the world cup or sometin. in the post match interview he says "we lost to our brotherS". i know ppl will say whats wrong with smiling, but for a captain whos team just lost to bang and is on the decline he should be seriously worried not happy!
Where do these people come from? How come whenever something is reported in the news, it is automatically true? Until there is some absolute evidence that this match is fixed, I refuse to believe it!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I find it almost inconceivable that the Ban-Pak match in WC99 was not fixed.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
Personally I find it almost inconceivable that the Ban-Pak match in WC99 was not fixed.
At every world cup some players are seen with match fixers in a restaurant or somewhere else.This is according to newspapers.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
I didn't see the match so i can't comment, but for Pakistan to bowl 40 extras in that match (let alone 28 wides) is ridiculous.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Depends how much the ball was doing - if it's swinging around as it can in certain conditions in England, for players not used to that, it can be a nightmare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that WC there were over 950 wides.
For reasons connected with the amount the white ball swings, the fact that it did even more back then, and the fact that typical English conditions cause more swing than anywhere else.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Depends how much the ball was doing - if it's swinging around as it can in certain conditions in England, for players not used to that, it can be a nightmare.
this is bangladesh were talking abt...they were one of the worst teams in the wc and pakis were the best. how in the world can bangladesh score 260 on any wicket, i doubt they could do that even if it was the joberg pitch for the wc final against an attack of wasim akram,waqar younis,abdur razzaq at his best and saqlain mushtaq????clearly sometin is fishy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Having said that, though, it's never been remotely out of the question for Pakistan to completely lose the will to play half-decent cricket when there's no meaning to the match.
Sometimes they just can't seem to find the will.
Without doubt sometimes this has been due to fixing in the past - and hindsight suggests Bangladesh were are so poor it would take more than the normal Pakistani underperformance to lose so badly to them.
However, like many teams, I felt Bangladesh were at their best in that tournament. The attack of Hossain, Islam, Mahmud and Haque snr. was a good one. And the like of Aminul were still around then.

Deja moo

International Captain
Australia losing to Zimbabwe in the '83 WC
Actually, that ausd team wasnt nvery good, and the zim team was....so IMO, it isnt an upset....zim troubled india too( 17-5), hence that wasnt an one off thing..

Craig

World Traveller
Canada defeating Bangladesh.

I sat there amazed and was delighted these Cannucks were celebrated each dismissal like they won the WC.

Great attitude.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
this is bangladesh were talking abt...they were one of the worst teams in the wc
What does that have to do with the Pakistanis bowling a lot of wides and conceding a lot of extras?

A wide is a wide whether the batsman is Richards or Richard! ;)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Scotland beating Worcester in 1998 was a big upset

Also back in 97 warwick where 25/6 against Berkshire but Brown and Giles put on a lot of runs and Warwick won Just

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Also back in 97 warwick where 25/6 against Berkshire but Brown and Giles put on a lot of runs and Warwick won Just
Upset usually involves the lesser side actually winning though.