• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would your stats be if you actually played international cricket?

Flametree

International 12th Man
I was a decidedly average school first xi batsman then less-than-average first team club player (not in a major centre). My theory is that Ewen Chatfield and Bob Willis could average 6 or 8 by virtue of being able to block the ones on the stumps and miss the ones that moved or were outside their eyelines, and I think I might be able to do similar. Against anyone not expressly quick I honestly think I could block a few straight ones before they got one into my pads. While any good balls that seamed or anything I'd never nick.... Any attempted attacking shots would be very low percentage, but some would come off. I was quick between the wickets so a defensive prod that found some space would be my best shot at a run....

Of course against anyone with real pace I'd be Jeetan Patel-ling it near the square leg umpire, but bowlers (even Steyn in that spell) seem surprisingly unable to hit the stumps with a free shot at them. And I was totally clueless against any spinner who could get dip so that would be painful. But over 100 tests, with nets against top bowlers, surely I'd improve? And once in a while I'd come out to bat and there'd be a Bangladeshi "quick" bowler or a darty spinner on, wouldn't there?

I laughed a bit at a couple of people saying they'd average 45 with the ball? Seriously? You're close to Nathan Bracken or Tino Best, better than Paul Wiseman or Imran Tahir? I would average something like 3000 I suspect. Maybe 2-0-30-0 before I was rested. One wicket in a 100 tests sounds about right.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Interesting question. While in the short term I would undoubtedly average 0, and cost my team about 1000 in byes (I'm usually a keeper), a 100 match career is (in New Zealand) equivalent to 12-13 years in the game. If I was to have entered the national environment in my early 20's and had full time access to coaching staff and a professional environment, then I reckon I might have just about been able to nudge my average into double figures during the prime years of my hypothetical career.
Interesting point I hadn't initially considered. Given my age, if I was to be a full time test cricketer for the next 7-8 years (= 100 tests) then I'd no doubt improve remarkably as a player. Whether that would be enough to be able to even half contribute on my day, I don't know. There's probably a talent limit in there somewhere that would prevent my seamers ever reaching 80mph and what not. Certainly if I was to replace Ben Stokes for the tour of the UAE I'd be amazed if I'd be able to get a run, wicket or catch.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I once faced a baseball machine set at 100kph while drunk and could barely hit the ball so I think I would average less than one with the bat and would never take a wicket while bowling about 10 wides an over

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who thinks he'd have an economy rate of less than 10 and hasn't ever played professional cricket is smoking something exotic.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I did face a machine at 80mph when I was about 15. I managed to block the odd one simply by premeditating a forward defence, but if it was a real bowler who could move the ball and vary his lines and lengths then **** knows what I'd have done.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
So assuming I am facing Dale Steyn, I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe against an ordinary bowler I'll get a few fluke shots away. I don't think anyone would be bothered about pace than actual skill. I'll anyway prefer facing a complete hack who's gonna bowl easy line and length even if it is at 150kmph, but I'd be ****ed against someone who knows what he's doing even if it is at a much lower speed. But we are talking international cricket here, and everyone's gonna have an amount of skill beyond I can cope with.

I'll be happy if the bowler is trying to get me out than aim at my body with short pitched deliveries, which is without doubt I'd do if I was a great bowler against some bloke who's never been more than an amateur. Hit them a couple of times and they won't be able to swing their bats anymore, just literally scare them away. Like in football, I don't care if someone nutmegs me, I'll still be motivated to try and stop him, but if Im against someone who's just gonna send me flying whenever I attempt to take the ball then I'd not stand a chance.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arm ball from any spinner on the stumps and most of us are lbw first ball imo

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Which one is more embarrassing?

A batting average of 2 for a batsman after 100 tests, or a bowling economy rate of 14 after 100 tests with an average of 200 for a bowler?

I don't think any regular poster in CW will do better than that.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which one is more embarrassing?

A batting average of 2 for a batsman after 100 tests, or a bowling economy rate of 14 after 100 tests with an average of 200 for a bowler?

I don't think any regular poster in CW will do better than that.
I'm sure there'd be at least a few current or former grade players or former on this site

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I averaged around 40 with the bat in about 10 years of A grade cricket and seriously doubt that I would average more than 10 at test level and that is being generous

Athlai

Not Terrible
One of the mods was in the Australia under 19 side for the 2006 World Cup.
And NZ has delivered at least 3 international cricketers. Not that any of them are still regulars. Though McClenenenene probably still keeps an eye on Phlegm.