• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brian Close dies

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Far too many stories about him to start quoting here, but it's difficult to imagine that any tougher bastard ever played cricket.

RIP

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would love to have seen him giving Hall and Griffith the charge in '63 - one of my favourite players

Howe_zat

Audio File
I didn't think he could die

It's possible he has finally transmuted into stone and this is the best explanation people have come up with

Howe_zat

Audio File
Brian Close Fact: His first class career started less than a year after Don Bradman's finished, and ended the year before Sachin Tendulkar's started

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
As Eric Morecambe once observed: "Summer will soon be here and we can thrill to the sound of leather hitting Brian Close."

Brian Close and John Edrich, Saturday evening, Old Trafford Test v the West Indies 1976 with the protective equipment of the day.

As brave as anything you'll see in sport.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brian Close Fact: His first class career started less than a year after Don Bradman's finished, and ended the year before Sachin Tendulkar's started
That's actually one of the most extraordinary facts I think I've ever read about a cricketer.

RIP to one of the great characters and hard men of cricket.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah its a wonder how he ever maintained his competitiveness with the changes in standards over the years. That line from Morecombe is a classic.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
RIP.I had the pleasure of meeting him through work a few years back and asked him about that over from Holding and how he got through it and he simply said, no matter how much it hurt, as soon as you let the bowler know they have hurt you, they have won and I wasn't going to lose that little victory..what a star..

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
It's the one that gets him in the ribs that causes him to stagger that always gets me.

We knew how tough he was and that must have hurt a lot.