• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best test batsman to average Under 61, 50, 40 and 30 IYO?

If the OP had asked for the greatest Test batsman I would definitely not have chosen Williamson. But as for best I think he is better than all of those others. His biggest rival is Cook imo.

It's a semantic thing that might be worthy of it's own thread - the difference between good and great. Williamson and Bond are the best NZ batsman and bowler I have ever seen, Crowe and Hadlee the greatest.
Its not really semantics. its whether people can accept measuring a current batsman halfway (or 1/3) into his career (who's career could improve, decrease or stay the same) against senior and retired players.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It's semantics to me. Good = level of skill achieved. Great = the sum total of demonstrated skill over one's entire career.

Williamson is better than Taylor, but Taylor is greater than Williamson. That might change of course.

It's semantics to me. Good = level of skill achieved. Great = the sum total of demonstrated skill over one's entire career.

Williamson is better than Taylor, but Taylor is greater than Williamson. That might change of course.
In that case, I disagree with your definition of great then.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm thinking K Rutherford or M Ramprakash for the under 30s. Not a club you want to be a member of. Both should have averaged 10 to 15 runs more than they did.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramprakash has to be a candidate for the under 30's

Sanga surely in the shake up for under 60's

Agree about Stewart for the under 40's and would add Lamb to that list.

OverratedSanity

CG and kiwiviktor have gone beyond parody now. Kane Williamson being seriously mentioned in this thread is a disgrace.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Personally think the best batsman to average under 20 and best bowler to average over 40 would be more interesting.

Zinzan

What does this sentence mean to you?

He averaged over 70 odd for the last 1.5 years? If he averages less, say 60 for the remainder of his career, he will go back from where he is now, and yet surpass these people you name. So, in the future, when looked backed with hindsight he could have already been there yet, no?
I'm not prepared to make such a big call based on 'ifs' quite yet. Without checking I'm almost certain all of those batsmen I mentioned would have had periods of 1.5-2 years in which they averaged 70 and more. One of the reasons we generally judge players based on their whole career and not on their best periods. I'm a huge KW fan and would love to think he'll be ahead of those names by the time he's finished, but saying he's the best under 50 bat of all-time atm is ludicrous and frankly biased (coming from a NZ'der).

I'm not prepared to make such a big call based on 'ifs' quite yet. Without checking I'm almost certain all of those batsmen I mentioned would have had periods of 1.5-2 years in which they averaged 70 and more. One of the reasons we generally judge players based on their whole career and not on their best periods. I'm a huge KW fan and would love to think he'll be ahead of those names by the time he's finished, but saying he's the best under 50 bat of all-time atm is ludicrous and frankly biased (coming from a NZ'der).
But what does "he's not there yet" mean to you?

Define it. In your own words. What will it take for him to be there yet. How many more runs in how many more matches at what average? Is it a total runs scored quantum?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Why are we even debating KW in this thread? People would've thrown a hissy fit if some indian had mentioned Kohli here and rightfully so.

OverratedSanity

Rahane for best under 50.

Also, Murali Vijay from a few months ago for less than 40. He's scraped over 40 last I checked.

Zinzan

But what does "he's not there yet" mean to you?

Define it. In your own words. What will it take for him to be there yet. How many more runs in how many more matches at what average? Is it a total runs scored quantum?
He's 24 years old. If you can't get it without requiring definitions, there's really no point tbh.