• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second best fast attack in the history

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
We all know, West Indies trio / quartet of fast bowlers dominated cricket for 15 years, and in my mind the best pace bowling attack in the history of test cricket. What comes second?

Aussies of 2000s?
Imran-Wasim-Waqar?
Donald - Pollock?
Steyn - Morkel - Philander?
Thompson and Lillee?
Lindwall et al?

Your comments on this.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Defining three pacers as an attack, the three having played a significant number of tests together in which they performed admirably.

Best - Marshall, Holding, Garner (26 tests)
Second best - Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh (28 tests)

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
The pairing of Lillee and Thomson in the mid 70s were more devastating than any other opening pairing, though without more express pace behind it, they're behind the WI attack.
Younis and Wasim were awesome to watch
The other that comes to mind are Richardson and Lohmann, they were exceptional for their time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillee and thomson

As good as they were, I think both Lillee and Thomson tend to get overrated because of the fear factor and the difficultly facing them on the fast Australian tracks in particular. Especially around 1975 when only a handful of batsmen wore helmets.

The fact remains Thommo has a relatively ordinary record (averaging around 28 from memory) and Lillee, as much as he's talked up by players of his era did have an ordinary record compared to other greats when conditions weren't the best for him.

I'd say a couple of the SA attacks, one in the 90s, Donald, Pollock, Schulz, Fannie (not sure if Fannie & Pollock ever played together) & even Elworthy and then the one around 2011 with Steyn, Morkel, Philander and co.

And of course, we can't ignore the 2 Ws and Imran.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The pairing of Lillee and Thomson in the mid 70s were more devastating than any other opening pairing, though without more express pace behind it, they're behind the WI attack.
Younis and Wasim were awesome to watch
The other that comes to mind are Richardson and Lohmann, they were exceptional for their time
I'd add Larwood-Voce and Statham-Tyson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lindwall, Miller & Davidson

Lindwall, Miller & Johnston

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
As good as they were, I think both Lillee and Thomson tend to get overrated because of the fear factor and the difficultly facing them on the fast Australian tracks in particular. Especially around 1975 when only a handful of batsmen wore helmets.

The fact remains Thommo has a relatively ordinary record (averaging around 28 from memory) and Lillee, as much as he's talked up by players of his era did have an ordinary record compared to other greats when conditions weren't the best for him.
Tommo's record in the early part of his career was amazing - his average climbed to 28 only relatively late in his career when his extraordinary pace had gone. In the 1970s I'd have thought they were probably as good an opening pair as the game has seen.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys, I am interested about fast bowling attack. So the quality of the 3rd pacer do matter. Thommo-Lillee was followed by Hogg / Pascoe IIRC. I am not sure how good were these bowlers compared to 3rd seam option WI / Pakistan or SAF had.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys, I am interested about fast bowling attack. So the quality of the 3rd pacer do matter. Thommo-Lillee was followed by Hogg / Pascoe IIRC. I am not sure how good were these bowlers compared to 3rd seam option WI / Pakistan or SAF had.
Hogg and Pascoe came after the peak years of Lillee and Thommo - their most common foil during the peak years was Max Walker, who did a very good supporting job with his ungainly but effective fast-medium.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Botham-Willis-Hendrick played 17 matches together taking 204 wickets, Willis averaged 24 whilst Botham and Hendricks both averaged in the 21s.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lindwall, Miller & Davidson

Lindwall, Miller & Johnston
Lindwall, Miller and Davo didn't play together often and it was before Davo had really come into his own. When he took over the new ball from '57 onwards he was extraordinary, but that was after Miller had retired and Lindwall had faded as a major force.

Lindwall, Miller and Johnston is a great shout though - right up there with the very, very best IMO.