• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Doom and Gloom Thread

Heboric

International Debutant
I was disappointed for half an hour.

South Africans has more serious issues to deal with than lose sleep over a cricket match. Yes it would be nice to win another one of thiese damn tournaments.

91Jmay

International Coach
Losing to that Sussex team for A side has to be cause for concern about depth. Was essentially a Sussex 2nd team and they thrashed them

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Losing to that Sussex team for A side has to be cause for concern about depth. Was essentially a Sussex 2nd team and they thrashed them
Was not a first choice SA 'A' team by a long way, but our lack of quality fast bowlers right at this stage is a concern. We have lost a few to kolpaks deals recently.

To be honest I`m not really concerned, because it is largely a few fringe test players along with some future youngsters. In what is an unbalanced team with an obvious weak bowling attack, loss of Ngidi is going to hurt the SA 'A' tour. SA have very much been throwing potential into the SA 'A' side for a number of years and seeing who performs individually rather than the team as a whole.

I am happy to see Bavuma score runs, but he did not convert again. Mulder scoring runs and taking wickets is a good sign. Markram was disappointing in this match and so was Smith. Good that Olivier, Piedt and Mulder took wickets. With both Olivier and Piedt the mostly likely for call up Test squad. And for practical quota reasons it is nice to see Zonda get a good score as well.

I am going to be interested in the team for the only 'test' against the Lions. What team they pick and who performs then could determine the composition of the SA test squad.

Dendarii

International Debutant
To be honest I`m not really concerned, because it is largely a few fringe test players along with some future youngsters. In what is an unbalanced team with an obvious weak bowling attack, loss of Ngidi is going to hurt the SA 'A' tour. SA have very much been throwing potential into the SA 'A' side for a number of years and seeing who performs individually rather than the team as a whole.
And it's not as though the entire A team is going to replace the current test team en mass. As you said, the A team is fringe and future players, so its purpose is really to see who can perform at a higher level than franchise cricket, and those who do perform will make it to the test squad.

Generally they're not going to go straight into the team but will rather initially be there as one of the backup players in the event of an injury, eventually becoming a regular when a spot opens up. That's the way they've been doing it for a while, so as long as they stick with that then like you I'm not all that concerned.

91Jmay

International Coach
Right but half of that Sussex team will likely not even be journeymen first class cricketers and will be out of the game in a few years. Danny Briggs averaged 14 prior to the not out hundred. I'd have expected that team to get humped.

Heboric

International Debutant
Right but half of that Sussex team will likely not even be journeymen first class cricketers and will be out of the game in a few years. Danny Briggs averaged 14 prior to the not out hundred. I'd have expected that team to get humped.
Well we will have to wait and see, I still remember Jack Bannister saying about Amla that he shouldnt be playing test cricket - yes he didnt do to well that year, but he turned out all right.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah but Amla shouldn't have been playing Test cricket at that point, he wasn't wrong was he?

You're right though it's one game, can't draw a conclusion. Lions/A test will be a good bench mark for both though, I don't think Lions squad is as strong 1 to 11 as in past although it has more players I think could be long term Test players.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah but Amla shouldn't have been playing Test cricket at that point, he wasn't wrong was he?

You're right though it's one game, can't draw a conclusion. Lions/A test will be a good bench mark for both though, I don't think Lions squad is as strong 1 to 11 as in past although it has more players I think could be long term Test players.
It was unacceptable but to be fair our cricket is in a bit of a mess now. We've lost next layer to Kolpak - The concern though is some of the next layer who performed well at domestic are there on merit and just not good enough for the long term vision of a good SA team. So we probably having to pick young guys before they ready without much top level cricket under their belt to add to that.

Gone are the days we had multiple hardened professionals averaging 45 and moaning they can't get into the test team. Wish we could get that like we've had since the majority of our time since back from isolation.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Also would like to add to this thread that with a day left to go our current coach Russell Domingo hadn't re-applied for the job. Surely things aren't rosey and I'm sure the players know all about it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Also would like to add to this thread that with a day left to go our current coach Russell Domingo hadn't re-applied for the job. Surely things aren't rosey and I'm sure the players know all about it.
I don't think he wants the job anymore, not to sure how much is about the politics and how much he is just tired... I think he he has been traveling with the team for 6 years.

I made this comment previously, but I am not against a new coach now. I think that there is a great deal of loyalty amongst some of the players but it seems to go hand in hand with some intractability of not being willing to bring in fresh blood and sticking with players once chosen.

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think he wants the job anymore, not to sure how much is about the politics and how much he is just tired... I think he he has been traveling with the team for 6 years.

I made this comment previously, but I am not against a new coach now. I think that there is a great deal of loyalty amongst some of the players but it seems to go hand in hand with some intractability of not being willing to bring in fresh blood and sticking with players once chosen.
I have been extremely critical of him in the past but what else is around doesn't excite me.

Good to see Mickey Arthur follow Gaz Kirsten and Ford has been highly rated in the game for some time. Pierre de Bruyn didn't get looked after and is at Leicestershire.

Not enough of our previous eras have had enough say. The isolated players bar Procter/Ackerman coached the Proteas or provincial. Sure Jimmy Cook was big in his son & Graeme Smiths development. But no Pollocks, Richards, Irvine, Le Royx involved. Even in next batch P.Kirsten was doing well at WP but then questioned about picking Claude Henderson over Paul Adams and Paul Kirsten over Thami Tsolekile and so expertise was lost.

and it seems the next generations also aren't getting involved enough.

Current Shukri Conrad and Vinnie Barnes continue to get high roles at CSA. They pushing Makweta, Toyana. Not sure where Prince, Boucher, Boje and Morgan sit in their thinking.

Is Klusener still with Ntini for Zimbabwe? Adams was finally filtered out at Cobras but still got WP roles in coaching.

Just a bit worried with the options.

Our best coach since re-admission was Bob Woolmer. The only non-South African we've had. It will be the last non-SA we have for obvious reasons.