• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Legend Barry Richards is two faced

watson

Banned
I'm cynical and realistic enough to believe that there are currently about 7 billion 'racists' on the planet. It's just that the vast majority of people mediate their racism by being kind, polite, and well mannered. And there's nothing wrong with that.

kingkallis

International Coach
OK, because you have family who moved to SA in the 1930s and 1940s means you know the political attitudes of Barry Richards et al.?

Very interesting.

Did your family know Richards personally? Do they know for certain he was a member of the Broederbond? When exactly did Richards join the National Party?
Did you actually read what Barry wrote their or on his FB timeline?! Did I say anything about anybody else being racist or anything?

When I read that comment the things my dad told me came to my mind and its not rocket science to relate things. It's pretty much evident what he is.

Marius

International Debutant
Did you actually read what Barry wrote their or on his FB timeline?! Did I say anything about anybody else being racist or anything?

When I read that comment the things my dad told me came to my mind and its not rocket science to relate things. It's pretty much evident what he is.
This is what you said in your original post: 'A relative of mine lives in South Africa and he told my dad how legends like Barry Richards was fully in favor of apartheid and how he disliked blacks or colored players'.

You're clearly implying that Richards wasn't the only one with these attitudes.

And having some outdated views about refugees and Muslims doesn't mean that Richards thought apartheid was right or thought that black people were inferior.

All these FB posts prove is that Richards is a fairly bigoted and naive old man (which is not all that surprising given his background etc) but it doesn't prove that he was racist to non-white South Africans.

Your family anecdote proves nothing.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think many people think refugees fleeing to western Europe isn't right.

When will it stop ? Countries become over-loaded and leads to crime. They can't rely on support groups as they can only help so much. This is a major issue now as it isn't only Syrians. How many north Africans are going into Europe. There is only so much space and job opportunities as well. Leads to so many questions that needs answering.

While Barry Richards may have the view above, I am sure there are plenty out there that share it in actual fact. While you feel for the refugees there needs to be some sort of restrictions otherwise when will it stop ?

The SA cricket team all fought apartheid and were part of stands against the government which I assure you didn't rub off on all white people in SA.

These are separate issues & deserve individual incrimination.

watson

Banned

Why single out Barry Richards though? Especially as there are a whole host of individuals from other countries who are far more racist than Barry Richards will ever be. Never mind those other Africans like Mugabe, can't mention them.

Could it be that minority 'White South Africans' are now stereotypical fair game?

Marius

International Debutant
kingkallis, I assume from your handle you admire Jacques Kallis.

Do you know he supports capital punishment?

In my experience those who support the death penalty are seldom the most enlightened or open minded.

Did I let this colour my perception of Jacques Kallis? No, because his personal views are neither here nor there - he is not a politician or a journalist, he was a cricketer, and that is what he should be judged on.

Jacques Kallis reopens death penalty debate after cricketer murdered | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Refugees are fleeing Germany's bombs? I thought it was the mad dictator Bashar Asad and lunatic religious fighters of ISIS.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm against censorship but what a pity the op couldn't have demurred and then decided against posting this heap of **** in the 1st place. Piss poor effort.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A relative of mine lives in South Africa and he told my dad how legends like Barry Richards was fully in favor of apartheid and how he disliked blacks or colored players. When my dad shared the same I was like - errmmm maybe your cousin is biased.

Couple of days ago I noticed a stupid comment from him on somebody's post and today Barry posted this on Alan Mullally's post. I am really surprised to see how stupid he is to post such things on social media!

This is such a dreadful post I had to check to make sure I hadn't posted it.

If you really think questioning the refugee crisis proves right some biased smack talk your father received, you really need to keep your opinions in your pocket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah **** posts from Richards, but given I've never heard him saying anything to the contrary I fail to see how it makes it two-faced (or racist for that matter).

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

In my experience those who support the death penalty are seldom the most enlightened or open minded.

Did I let this colour my perception of Jacques Kallis? No, because his personal views are neither here nor there - he is not a politician or a journalist, he was a cricketer, and that is what he should be judged on.
Yes, generalize anyone for capital punishment but leave Kallis out because he was a good cricketer.

Just as terrible as the OP. Why does this thread even exist.

Marius

International Debutant
Yes, generalize anyone for capital punishment but leave Kallis out because he was a good cricketer.

Exactly, it's ridiculous.

Unless I see a cricketer wearing a white hood and burning a cross on Makhaya Ntini's front lawn I don't really care what his personal views on anything are.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Jacques Kallis reopens death penalty debate after cricketer murdered | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Exactly, it's ridiculous.

Unless I see a cricketer wearing a white hood and burning a cross on Makhaya Ntini's front lawn I don't really care what his personal views on anything are.
That awkward moment when Gnske calls Marius' post terrible and Marius doesn't get it, and agrees with Gnske

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe it's just me but it feels good to say Barry Richards made **** posts.

Not "is chatting ****" or "said something stupid".. but "made **** posts". What an age we live in.

Marius

International Debutant
That awkward moment when Gnske calls Marius' post terrible and Marius doesn't get it, and agrees with Gnske
I knew he was saying post was horrible.

Was trying to agree to make it look like my original post had been sarcastic.

:ph34r: