• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best individual performance at a world (across the entire cup)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar was incredible in 2003, someone might be able to check this and correct me, but I think he won the Man of the Tournament by the biggest margin in any WC?

Seems weird that a few of these choices (Zulu (99), Tendulkar (03), M Waugh (96)) came in losing causes. As a comparison, in football the greatest WC performers are the ones that won the trophy for their teams - Maradona 86, Pele 58 and 70, Garrincha 62, etc.

Interesting to probably list the best performers of the winning teams of all the WCs:

WI 1975 - ??
WI - 1979 - Greenidge?
Ind - 1983 - Kapil? Amarnath?
Aus - 1987 - McDermott?
Pak - 1992 - Inzi? Imran?
SL - 1996 - De Silva? Sanath?
Aus - 1999 - Waugh bros? Warne?
Aus - 2003 - Ponting? McGrath?
Aus - 2007 - Hayden? McGrath?
Ind - 2011 - Yuvraj?
Aus - 20115 - Starc?
Crowe was the player of the tournament in '92, and quite comfortably.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Starc 2015 was probably the best bowling performance in WC history - at least in cups that I can remember. Never have I seen a bowler totally destroy all opponents like Starc did, with both the new ball and in the death overs.

mr_mister

Zulu.

What was it, 4 man of the match performances in 8 games?

Did he actually win 4 MOM awards? That's insane considering he had to share the bowling with Donald and Pollock and usually batted around 7-8(sometimes 9 after Pollock and Boucher)

He scored so many critical 30+ not outs ha

harsh.ag

Did he actually win 4 MOM awards? That's insane considering he had to share the bowling with Donald and Pollock and usually batted around 7-8(sometimes 9 after Pollock and Boucher)

He scored so many critical 30+ not outs ha
And inspired a generation of idiotic English selections

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surprised with so few mentions for Starc. Maybe it's because it's too recent in everyone's minds to put up there? Imo, he had the best WC any bowler has ever had. And by a distance.
Especially given how batting friendly that World Cup was. An average of 10 with an economy rate of 3.5 runs per over (comparable to his Test one!) is amazing no matter what the time, but in 2015 you shouldn't allowed to bowl that well.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends morgie. There was a big gap in the bowling sides in 2015. Aussie, NZ, SA and India of all countries were running around skittling sides and (barring the awesome semi-final) each other while the rest kept getting smashed. Didn't either Anderson or Broad average something silly with the ball (and then England and the media/fans blamed the batsmen)?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj literally contributed to each individual match in the 2011 WC bar the SA game, Bangladesh too I guess but he didn't get to bat in that game. I also feel Zaheer (although other bowlers might have better stats) was CRITICAL to India's win in 2011, didn't have one of those freak games where he takes 6-7 wkts for nothing and so his average doesn't stand out that much as comared to someone like Starc in 2015 but man every fricken time India needed a wicket Zaheer got it, and he generally took out the best players as well, so not much tailend freebies to boost stats.

Tendulkar 03 was ridiculously good as well.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Starc's this year is the best I reckon considering the high scores that were occurring. But Yuvraj 2011 was the best all-round performance I reckon. Just had an incredible purple patch.

Dhoni's WC final knock is stuff of legend, but part of me wishes Yuvi also had the chance to play another match winning knock.