• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson or Muhammad Hafeez? All formats

Shane Watson or Muhammad Hafeez?

• Watto

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • The Professor

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Devon Smith

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil was a glorified slogger with the bat.
If you know anything about 80s and early 90s Indian ODI cricket, you'd know how important his batting was to the team. He was not a slogger in the Afridi way; he was more dependable in the end overs. His strike rate is far better than other end-over hitters during his time.

And he has won many more matches with the ball than Flintoff. He's had a big contribution with bat, ball, catching and captaincy in our '83 World Cup win. Flintoff has done zilch in World Cups. His stats look good on paper, but he had a far shorter ODI career than Kapil too.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Having thought about it, Hafeez in tests pretty comfortably. Watson much the better in ODI's though.

cnerd123

likes this
Ummm we all remember that Hafee chucks, right?

Take his bowling out and its a no-contest. Watto for sure. Hafeez only wins to open for me in Tests on the Subcontinent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ummm we all remember that Hafee chucks, right?

Take his bowling out and its a no-contest. Watto for sure. Hafeez only wins to open for me in Tests on the Subcontinent.
To be fair, Watson isn't going to be doing much more bowling in test cricket either.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
And even comparing Watson to Flintoff in tests is a bit ridiculous. Despite being a batting allrounder, Watson's batting stats are barely better than Flintoff (which is a woeful indictment on Watson's batting in all honesty), and bowling wise it's not a contest.
Agree that Flintoff as a bowler was much better than Watson but comparing their batting stats is just not fair. Watson batted in the top order most often and Flintoff came in at number 7 or so. Surely Watson's batting numbers count for a bit more. People seem to forget that for some time Watson was actually a pretty good opener.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree that Flintoff as a bowler was much better than Watson but comparing their batting stats is just not fair. Watson batted in the top order most often and Flintoff came in at number 7 or so. Surely Watson's batting numbers count for a bit more. People seem to forget that for some time Watson was actually a pretty good opener.
By batting stats I just don't mean his average. Watson's job batting high up the order as an opener and #3 is to get big scores. Yet Flintoff, batting at 6 and 7 has as many fifties and hundreds as him. It's horrible if you think about it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wondering when the exaggerated Watto-hate will subside. It will still be years away IMO.

Freddie one of those players loved and thought of often beyond his actual abilities and results, Watto the opposite.

In short form, Watson is so much better than Flintoff it's not even funny. In Tests I'd give it to Flintoff just because of his singular achievements and attitude but even then it's close.
The above isn't close to being true. Flintoff was a far better bowler, and at his peak a marginally worse batsman.

Watson certainly maintained his batting peak for longer but let's not delude ourselves.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And even comparing Watson to Flintoff in tests is a bit ridiculous. Despite being a batting allrounder, Watson's batting stats are barely better than Flintoff (which is a woeful indictment on Watson's batting in all honesty), and bowling wise it's not a contest.
lol wut

Flintoff's bowling stats isn't any better compared to Watsons than Watson's batting is compared to Flintoffs

Perfect example of what i'm talking about re. people's memories playing tricks on them. Flintoff was such an enigma that people will always remember him fondly and elevate his status, whereas Watson is the opposite.

Watson has been an ODI great btw. Batting average over 40 and bowling average in the 30s.

And in both forms he's generally played a lot of quality opposition, a lot of tests against South Africa, India in India, England with Broad and Anderson and not a single Test against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. I'd bet guys like Hafeez and Oram played more than a few Tests against lesser opposition.

Watto would have played a high percentage of overseas tests as well, he missed 2 or 3 entire home seasons with injury

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
lol wut

Flintoff's bowling stats isn't any better compared to Watsons than Watson's batting is compared to Flintoffs

Perfect example of what i'm talking about re. people's memories playing tricks on them. Flintoff was such an enigma that people will always remember him fondly and elevate his status, whereas Watson is the opposite.

Watson has been an ODI great btw. Batting average over 40 and bowling average in the 30s.

And in both forms he's generally played a lot of quality opposition, a lot of tests against South Africa, India in India, England with Broad and Anderson and not a single Test against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. I'd bet guys like Hafeez and Oram played more than a few Tests against lesser opposition.

Watto would have played a high percentage of overseas tests as well, he missed 2 or 3 entire home seasons with injury

Yeah Oram averaged over 60 and 50 with the bat respectively against Australia and South Africa, while averaging 20 with the ball against Sachin, Dravid, Sehwag, VVS and co. Real minnow basher.

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo