• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Holder WI's new Test skipper

Athlai

Not Terrible
Being a slight better version of Sammy isn't an insult. Sammy was a pretty decent cricketer and deserved to be there more often than not, a **** side made him look worse than he was. He was a competent lower all rounder.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good player but all too soon for my liking. Not fully settled into test cricket yet and should be given time to find his way not given the captaincy.

Flem274*

123/5
When Sammy still had his zip he was a deceptively good bowler. The haterade he copped through his whole career stems from the "right arm medium" bit more than anything else. He could have 200 wickets at 25, have one bad game and then the knives would have been out.

In his last couple of years though his bowling definitely faded and he was done.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
They have no one else. Excited by his talent so I hope he can kick on without being dragged down by the team/politics. The ton he scored vs Aus was a top knock.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Being a slight better version of Sammy isn't an insult. Sammy was a pretty decent cricketer and deserved to be there more often than not, a **** side made him look worse than he was. He was a competent lower all rounder.
Yeah, definitely not. Just in the WI team that role creates a balance concern, considering Ramdin isn't really a Test #6 and the tail is pretty weak.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, definitely not. Just in the WI team that role creates a balance concern, considering Ramdin isn't really a Test #6 and the tail is pretty weak.
Being a passable 7 and a good 8 has no bearing on if he is a good cricketer or not, it isn't Sammys problem that he didn't help team balance. No one did. The only thing that would have bettered WI and helped people play in positions that suited them would have been Dwayne Bravo and that was apparently not on the table.

Woodster

International Captain
I would like to see Holder develop into a fine Test bowler and more than capable mid-lower order batsman but imo he should've been given the opportunity to do so, to develop and learn about improving his own skills and also understanding about the Test game rather than having to focus on the all-consuming job of skippering the WI.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's not a bad move actually. But the problem is WI won't start winning series immediately. A slow improvement from this point maynot be discernible to some, and Holder may get bulk of the unnecessary crap.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm more worried about him being looked upon by others as the "board's man", and undermining his ability to get the players to follow him. That's a tough thing to sort out as a 23 year old amongst older players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also, didn't really watch a huge amount of their series' vs Eng & Aus, but his bowling is a few levels above Sammy isn't it? I mean, I still think he's one of their four best bowlers when you look at some of the quicks they've selected in recent times.

Maybe he stops you from playing two spinners in the Windies, I guess. Certainly OK to play the role as third quick isn't he?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm more worried about him being looked upon by others as the "board's man", and undermining his ability to get the players to follow him. That's a tough thing to sort out as a 23 year old amongst older players.
A few more big individual performances from him will silence those voices.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Also, didn't really watch a huge amount of their series' vs Eng & Aus, but his bowling is a few levels above Sammy isn't it? I mean, I still think he's one of their four best bowlers when you look at some of the quicks they've selected in recent times.

Maybe he stops you from playing two spinners in the Windies, I guess. Certainly OK to play the role as third quick isn't he?
He's a better bowler than he's a batsman; but WI needs his batting more ATM than his bowling imo.