• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali may pull out of Australian tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Sarcasm related to blatant Australian double standards.
Yeah, spoken like a true miserable Pom Neil, whose team hasn't won a series against us since 86/87.........if we are guilty of double standards, then others are equally so.

Pace Setter

Cricket Spectator
Whether its Brett Lee or Muralitharan, the crowd shouldnt be an impact on any professional sportsman, not enough of an impact to stop them from playing, anyway. If this is the only reason Murali doesnt want to come, i hope the ICC penalises him, somehow.

Sometimes I think this forum should be re- named 'The Sub-continental cricket web' - it is very often decidely anti-Australian, often unreasonably so. Allegations of racism about Australian fans in relation to Murali are not only unsubstantiated, but offensive as well.
Theres always going to be jealous rivals trying to destroy/eliminate a sports premier team and its associations, usually in any way possible. Shouldnt expect anything less from opposition fans when your no.1.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kenny said:
Yeah, spoken like a true miserable Pom Neil, whose team hasn't won a series against us since 86/87.........if we are guilty of double standards, then others are equally so.
Wondered how long it would take for the lashing out to start as if you were drowning in face of the evidence.

8 out of 10 Indian media probably believe the ICC & umpires are hopelessly biased against them. Do they know what they're talking about...

PY

International Coach
Kenny said:
Sometimes I think this forum should be re- named 'The Sub-continental cricket web' - it is very often decidely anti-Australian, often unreasonably so.
Maybe it is because we don't like the way that Australians conduct themselves sometimes.

Some are un-biased and can see what we are saying, others just deny it constantly.

For reference, I'm not from the sub-continent.:)

I respect Australia's cricket side because they are the best and deserve respect. That is not to say that I like the way that they play cricket and conduct themselves (a few exceptions). They can give but they can't take. Smacks of petty arrogance.

Rant over. :saint:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Wondered how long it would take for the lashing out to start as if you were drowning in face of the evidence.
Well for my part mate I was neither 'lashing out' (merely responding to a petulant little taunt) nor 'drowning in face of the evidence'........because apparently there is enough for even the ICC to 'have another look'.......now we know that some umpires will not call him merely because they may lose their jobs, the 'evidence' is looking pretty good for my position, yes?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
Someone mentioned earlier that my views on Murali and his action are seldom agreed with - I remember a poll run on this very site a while ago which strongly suggested otherwise.........
A poll suggests otherwise? No it just suggests very few of them had looked at Murali's action and once they had looked at the pictures showing Murali doesn't throw, a lot changed their mind.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
Maybe it is because we don't like the way that Australians conduct themselves sometimes.

Some are un-biased and can see what we are saying, others just deny it constantly.

For reference, I'm not from the sub-continent.:)

I respect Australia's cricket side because they are the best and deserve respect. That is not to say that I like the way that they play cricket and conduct themselves (a few exceptions). They can give but they can't take. Smacks of petty arrogance.

Rant over. :saint:
Cheers for typing that for me..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
however, the West Australian newspaper ran an article this morning on the ICC's supposed impending crackdown on spin bowlers actions, of which Murali is supposedly going to be a target.......it also reports that two members of the ICC's elite umpiring panel told the paper they have no doubt whatsoever that Murali chucks but have no intention of calling him because they fear for their jobs.

A channel nine commentator told the paper that 7 out of 10 of his colleagues believe the Sril Lankan's action remains illegal. I believe the key word there is 'remains'..........

I expect you will all say that they also do not know what they are talking about.

Sometimes I think this forum should be re- named 'The Sub-continental cricket web' - it is very often decidely anti-Australian, often unreasonably so. Allegations of racism about Australian fans in relation to Murali are not only unsubstantiated, but offensive as well.
We know the crowds called 'no-ball', and the reason Murali got so upset and doesn't want to come back is because the bloody truth hurts. Ranatunga started this racist nonsense.......
Typical Aussie nonsense trying to wind Murali up and convince him not to tour. It's happened so many times, especially with England when they tour Australia it's as if they aren't even worthy to be cricketers. Excuse me if I choose to ignore the usual Aussie media crap, because I'm pretty sure my pet cat is less petty and biggoted and speaks more sense.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Rik said:
A poll suggests otherwise? No it just suggests very few of them had looked at Murali's action and once they had looked at the pictures showing Murali doesn't throw, a lot changed their mind.
Ah yes I see your logic Rik - so we can merely discount the poll, or any poll really, on the basis that people probably changed their minds after voting in it. Excellent!

Here's a link to that story in the West Australian for anybody who's interested......
http://www.thewest.com.au/20040220/sport/cricket/tw-sport-cricket-home-sto120221.html

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Rik said:
Typical Aussie nonsense trying to wind Murali up and convince him not to tour. It's happened so many times, especially with England when they tour Australia it's as if they aren't even worthy to be cricketers. Excuse me if I choose to ignore the usual Aussie media crap, because I'm pretty sure my pet cat is less petty and biggoted and speaks more sense.
'Typical Aussie nonsense' eh? 'Typical Aussie media crap' - do you really hate the Australian team and it's supporters and media that much Rik?
I mean, if I made such sweeping generalisations, you'd be all over me like a rash......
Listen, young man, Murali has never really done all that well down under anyway, it's not as if we'd be scared of him coming here or anything - I mean you'd be better off facing him here than in Sri Lanka right?
If he doesn't want to come, he doesn't have to - simple as that. Crying in his soup because people yelled out 'no-ball' whenever he bowled is only going to make it worse - and it's not as if it only happened in Australia - it happened in England as well.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
Ah yes I see your logic Rik - so we can merely discount the poll, or any poll really, on the basis that people probably changed their minds after voting in it. Excellent!

Here's a link to that story in the West Australian for anybody who's interested......
http://www.thewest.com.au/20040220/sport/cricket/tw-sport-cricket-home-sto120221.html
Didn't just "probably" change their minds, when we posted up the pictures about half the people in the thread said they agreed. I don't see your logic though, your like a rebel without a cause, you come back in and post the same things over and over again with no basis and no evidence to counter and expect us to agree with you. Well if you want to win an arguement, show me that Murali chucks, because I'm afraid everything I've seen doesn't look anything like a chuck. Also his new delivery doesn't count, because even if he chucks that, that is not a big enough reason for the ICC to chuck him out. I need you to show me that his elbow is used to bowl his stock deliveries so every time he bowls he is illegally gaining an advantage. Now if you can, good luck, if you can't, then I guess that says something doesn't it?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
'Typical Aussie nonsense' eh? 'Typical Aussie media crap' - do you really hate the Australian team and it's supporters and media that much Rik?
I mean, if I made such sweeping generalisations, you'd be all over me like a rash......

I have never said I hated the Aussie team. It's just their media has a long history of writing steaming piles of biased bull****, and writing crap just to wind up the opposition, so why should I believe anything they say?

Listen, young man, Murali has never really done all that well down under anyway, it's not as if we'd be scared of him coming here or anything - I mean you'd be better off facing him here than in Sri Lanka right?
If he doesn't want to come, he doesn't have to - simple as that. Crying in his soup because people yelled out 'no-ball' whenever he bowled is only going to make it worse - and it's not as if it only happened in Australia - it happened in England as well.
"Young Man?" Is that supposed to make me feel my point is less important? Yes Murali's not got an amazing record in Australia, but with his new delivery and several years of almost constant success, if I was an Australian batsman I'd be pretty scared of facing him. Remember how well England played him a few years ago in Sri Lanka and then again in England? Well, we went to Sri Lanka feeling very confident and lost, mainly to do with his bowling, but also partly because Vaughan is just a useless captain.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
now we know that some umpires will not call him merely because they may lose their jobs, the 'evidence' is looking pretty good for my position, yes?

If they're in danger of losing their jobs for calling him, I think that clearly shows the ICC position on him.

And it doesn't look good for your position.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
....and what does this story show? that they are going to examine unorthodox actions again...? so what? That still hasn't proven anything, has it? Let the new enquiry come out with evidence that he chucks, innocent until proven guilty is what the free world believes in...I don't know about you....

This article also goes on to clearly expose the bias that the Aussie cricket commentators and "experts" have as well as their umpires......and you still expect Murali to feel that he will get a fair deal if he tours down under..... :rolleyes:

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kenny said:
Someone mentioned earlier that my views on Murali and his action are seldom agreed with - I remember a poll run on this very site a while ago which strongly suggested otherwise.........however, the West Australian newspaper ran an article this morning on the ICC's supposed impending crackdown on spin bowlers actions, of which Murali is supposedly going to be a target.......it also reports that two members of the ICC's elite umpiring panel told the paper they have no doubt whatsoever that Murali chucks but have no intention of calling him because they fear for their jobs.

A channel nine commentator told the paper that 7 out of 10 of his colleagues believe the Sril Lankan's action remains illegal. I believe the key word there is 'remains'..........

I expect you will all say that they also do not know what they are talking about.

We know the crowds called 'no-ball', and the reason Murali got so upset and doesn't want to come back is because the bloody truth hurts. Ranatunga started this racist nonsense.......
well it just goes to show the state of the so called elite umpire's panel doesn't it??

if they seriously believe that Murali chucks and they can JUSTIFY it, by all means as an umpire go do your thing and call him.

the fact that they don't have the balls to do this ( because their in fear of "losing their jobs") worries me, because if they don't have the backbone to call something which they think is so vermently true, what's going to go through their heads when other vital issues in a game arise?

what you said earlier (about umpires not calling murali) is like me saying "the elite panel of umpires didn't wanna give "so and so" the signal that he's out because the entire crowd would've the umpire forever more and therefore lose his reputation as an umpire!!!!!

and as for this forum being "very often decidedly anti-australian" and that "Allegations of racism about Australian fans in relation to Murali are not only unsubstantiated, but offensive as well" is quite simply disproven when....

you can hear ppl like McGrath , Warnie (and when healy was around) healy sledging (this includes racial sledging) towards the batsmen and every word is heard across national television because they are standing right above stump microphone, it kind of speaks for itself. it has happened manier times and yet there never seems to be as much sledging from the other team compared to the Aussies. you might say that this is because they're "tricky Ba*****s" and your probably right. at least they have the brains to know the mic is there and keep their traps shut!

so since you find this "not only unsubstantiated, but offensive as well" all i can say is that "the bloody truth hurts!!!"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Someone mentioned earlier that my views on Murali and his action are seldom agreed with - I remember a poll run on this very site a while ago which strongly suggested otherwise.........however, the West Australian newspaper ran an article this morning on the ICC's supposed impending crackdown on spin bowlers actions, of which Murali is supposedly going to be a target.......it also reports that two members of the ICC's elite umpiring panel told the paper they have no doubt whatsoever that Murali chucks but have no intention of calling him because they fear for their jobs.

Quite simply, they don't - because their views are based on inferior evidence than that available to learned physicians at one of the most senior Universities in The World.
The number of people who believe Murali's action is illegal doesn't add any weight to the argument, it simply shows how many people are in a similar boat. A boat of ill-informed, spurious judgement.
Murali of all people should know his action is legal - he can actually feel himself, rather than simply watch.
Let's have a check on the old "Subcontinental Cricket Web", shall we? Top staff: James (Kiwi?), Andre (Austrlian?), Rich T (English). Some Staff Members: Neil (English), Corey (Australian), Liam (West Indian), marc71178 (English), luckyeddie (English), Pete (English), Craig (Kiwi), Tim (Kiwi). Apologies to any other regular-posting Staff Member I may have omitted. Other regulars: david (Australian), me (English), Rik (English), anil (Indian) Vish (Indian), Rich L (South African), halsey (English). Again, apologies to anyone I may have omitted, not obviously going too extensive. Basically it strikes me that the only long-standing subcontinentals are anil and Vish, and certainly most regulars are from England and Australia.
Very rarely is there any anti-nationalism anywhere, and when there is Neil or Andre usually and quite rightly stamp on it AQAP. But for me (and clearly Neil too) Australian double-standards is simply a fact of life in many quarters. I've noticed it so many times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Neil Pickup said:

8 out of 10 Indian media probably believe the ICC & umpires are hopelessly biased against them. Do they know what they're talking about...
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Do you seriously think Neil is one to let jealousy get in the way of unblinkered observation?

Status
Not open for further replies.