• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali may pull out of Australian tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps

International 12th Man
muralitharan should stop whinging and come out and ply crickket. He himself knows exactly WHY ppl think he chucks, and hes been allowed 2 continue 2 play,so he should consider himself lucky. He is an international cricketer,and he should learn to live with everything that comes with it! not just the good stuff like the money,the fame ,the popularity.....he has to live with the bad stuff....

I was at the ODI between india and australia at the WACA, and for the first 3 or 4 overs that brett lee bowled, whenever he was runing in, all the india suppporters would yell out "no balL" to him as well... he responded well, bowled superbly,and shut up the crowd!

You didn't hear brett lee whinging about the crowd!

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
age_master said:
his old wrongun was a chuck, that methgod its virtually impossible to turn it at all without a chuck, let alone how much he did, the new one i haven't seen yet and wait with great interest to see
why is it that as soon as something that seems to good to be true comes along it is instantly labelled as cheating. did it ever occur to you that it could be pure darn talent! he's been cleared by the ACB and the ICC who all think that every single one of his deliveries are legitimate. plus the fact that none of the other teams seem to think he chucks either. all the batsmen are more worried about how to face his brilliant deliveries more than the action. and this is because they are no longer under the thought of "well it looks too damn good for anyone to be able to bowl like that so he MUST be chucking!"

Cactus

deeps said:
muralitharan should stop whinging and come out and ply crickket. He himself knows exactly WHY ppl think he chucks, and hes been allowed 2 continue 2 play,so he should consider himself lucky. He is an international cricketer,and he should learn to live with everything that comes with it! not just the good stuff like the money,the fame ,the popularity.....he has to live with the bad stuff....

I was at the ODI between india and australia at the WACA, and for the first 3 or 4 overs that brett lee bowled, whenever he was runing in, all the india suppporters would yell out "no balL" to him as well... he responded well, bowled superbly,and shut up the crowd!

that's probably because hardly anyone could hear them saying it on national television (none of the commentator's picked it up and none of us heard it!) and the chanting didn't escalate to racial comments (as it usually does for Murali) plus the fact that he doesn't have scumy umpires that decide days before the game that "i think he's got a wierd action so i'll just no - ball him whenever i can!" and then no balls him for an entire over and a half!

get your stuff straight!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
You have to understand that there's one rule for Australians and one for the rest of the world.
Kenny said:
Bah!!! How is calling 'NO BALL'!!!!!!! abusing him??
I hope he doesn't come, his action is the disgrace.
Sanz said:
Ask Brett Lee. He will explain it to you. :lol:
If its said to Bret Lee its abusive, but if its said to Murali, its not. A bit hypocritical isn't it?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
deeps said:
Maybe not that match, but let's go back in time. Boxing Day test match 2002, England vs. Australia. The Barmy Army called 'no ball' for literally the whole day, I remember perfectly I was there. He had a big problem with that one and called it "abuse". It's totally different when you have drunks there who can yell "no ball" the whole day.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Maybe not that match, but let's go back in time. Boxing Day test match 2002, England vs. Australia. The Barmy Army called 'no ball' for literally the whole day, I remember perfectly I was there. He had a big problem with that one and called it "abuse". It's totally different when you have drunks there who can yell "no ball" the whole day.
Well, drink does that to people! But Brett Lee doesn't have a blatently odd action, so it was largely sarcasm, oh and trying to **** him off because he was doing sod all on his return to the side. Definately done more in humour than the Cat Calls against Murali.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's what I mean, if a bit of humour like that can anger Brett Lee so much, than you can only imagine how the insults and sometimes racial abuse to Murali must anger him. It's a double standard if the Australians believe Murali shouldn't whinge yet Brett Lee can do it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
That's what I mean, if a bit of humour like that can anger Brett Lee so much, than you can only imagine how the insults and sometimes racial abuse to Murali must anger him. It's a double standard if the Australians believe Murali shouldn't whinge yet Brett Lee can do it.
Very true, two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights make great aeroplanes as they say...

It's because Brett Lee is the Aussie Golden Boy and he can do anything and get away with it. His action does get ragged mind, when he strives for extra pace, but so do all bowlers. But I'm in no-man's land to weather he chucks it then or not. But he was studied and they didn't find anything wrong, like with Murali so the Barmy Army should really have kept it down most of the day. Murali's problem is not that the crowd are likely to take the **** out of him, it's more likely that when he gets to Australia he's going to be attacked from all quarters, allegations will be thrown around and he will completely loose all focus. But then if that's what Australia need to do to beat him, it's quite sad.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australian double-standards is at the same time ludicrously funny and ludicrously infuriating.
Everyone who's studied the matter in-depth notices it (not just with chucking, with "making excuses for defeat" too) but they don't!

Langeveldt

Soutie
halsey said:
Then England might finally win an Ashes, because we have, erm, no-one to play against. :P
They would still find a way of getting beaten and injured at the same time....

I dont have a very high opinion of Murali or the Sri Lankan cricket team..... but its a bit of a sad reflection of Aussie cricket if a champion doesnt want to play there.... Not a good situation..

I remember Pat Symcox getting handed a tinny full of urine by an aussie fan.. Symmo knew the ins and outs of touring there, and threw it back in his face :lol: :lol:

Cactus

Richard said:
Australian double-standards is at the same time ludicrously funny and ludicrously infuriating.
Everyone who's studied the matter in-depth notices it (not just with chucking, with "making excuses for defeat" too) but they don't!
i'd be the last person to make excuses for Australia being Sri Lankan and all, but you gotta admitt that ponting and gillie are getting better and better at handling/accepting defeat, praising better teams and reducing the amount of sledging. it's only when Mcgrath and Warnie (the main 2 amongst a few others) come into the scene that all their crap starts rubbing of on the other players.

the Australian team, though losing 2 of their main bowlers, have probably gained more maturity out of it. still the real test will be when those two get back on the team and then see how the rest of the team reacts on field with their arrival.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gilchrist may be one of the luckiest going around in terms of dropped catches but his attitude to walking is a credit to the game.
His actions in the semi of WC2003 were a breath of fresh air - walks when he knows he's out and the Umpire didn't, then comments "I just think it's time cricketers started to be honest with each other".
Shame so few think like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
They would still find a way of getting beaten and injured at the same time....

I dont have a very high opinion of Murali or the Sri Lankan cricket team..... but its a bit of a sad reflection of Aussie cricket if a champion doesnt want to play there.... Not a good situation..

I remember Pat Symcox getting handed a tinny full of urine by an aussie fan.. Symmo knew the ins and outs of touring there, and threw it back in his face :lol: :lol:
Hansie also had the right idea when he threatened to take them off the field when Symmo was pelted with golf-balls, fruit and the stuffed barbecued chicken.
Never heard that one about him and the tin. Brilliant one that!8D

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Hooliganism at football (not, as Pete says, hooliganism from people who are actually football fans) is a massive problem throughout Europe and it really defies belief that Sepp Blatter thinks he can get away without people realising his double-standards by constantly picking-on England when there are plenty just as bad.
Hooliganism at cricket is spasmodically a problem in several countries (India and West Indies esp.) but that's totally different to the Murali incidents.
That's just picking on a player who they can't take is a big danger to them. Nor can they take it that people who know more about the matter have cleared him of what they accuse him of.
Of course, The BA exposed the double-standardism by making similar chants at Lee last year. And it was far more jokeish than the Murali abuse.
I often wonder how Sepp Blatter got to be in charge of FIFA.

If you want football hooliganism, just look to Greece or Argentina.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Someone mentioned earlier that my views on Murali and his action are seldom agreed with - I remember a poll run on this very site a while ago which strongly suggested otherwise.........however, the West Australian newspaper ran an article this morning on the ICC's supposed impending crackdown on spin bowlers actions, of which Murali is supposedly going to be a target.......it also reports that two members of the ICC's elite umpiring panel told the paper they have no doubt whatsoever that Murali chucks but have no intention of calling him because they fear for their jobs.

A channel nine commentator told the paper that 7 out of 10 of his colleagues believe the Sril Lankan's action remains illegal. I believe the key word there is 'remains'..........

I expect you will all say that they also do not know what they are talking about.

Sometimes I think this forum should be re- named 'The Sub-continental cricket web' - it is very often decidely anti-Australian, often unreasonably so. Allegations of racism about Australian fans in relation to Murali are not only unsubstantiated, but offensive as well.
We know the crowds called 'no-ball', and the reason Murali got so upset and doesn't want to come back is because the bloody truth hurts. Ranatunga started this racist nonsense.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.