• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh dear, Tastle run out without facing a ball, and from the footage it looks pretty clear that he'd comfortably made his ground too.
Yeah that was shocking umpiring it seems. De Boorder's body would've surely been blocking a view from square leg, so he just guessed.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Andrew Mathieson was supposed to come in from the wilderness and blow the Plunket Shield away with West Indian height and sheer late 140s pace at one stage. Now a 26yo and averaging 46 after 22 FC games.
How was this guy ever picked for NZ :laugh: It reminds me of the old days of the De Groen's, the Sua's and the Walmsley's

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah that was painful to watch...actually no it wasn't I enjoyed it. Ironic last name.

His issue, in my opinion, was he was going back and across but not being forward from deep in his crease. He was nicking out to swinging HVs because he was hanging back from that position rather than pushing forward from the movement. Sounds tangled but basically the back and across movement is absolutely fine as long as you're prepared to forward press when you get there, and stay back if it's short. If you're getting forward and over your front knee, that trigger movement is only serving to get your feet moving positively and giving you a bit more time to play. I can't name too many batsmen who have done it because I look closer at bowlers, but there'll be a lot of them.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to Popli's trigger movement or position at the crease in that case. Plainly doesn't watch the ball well enough and tries to hit one moving slightly away through mid-wicket. Not a good sign if you want to play higher.
There have been some REALLY weird ones when I think about it.

Ross Taylor's Bruce Lee impersonation.
Chris Harris basically touching every piece of his equipment before doing a bow legged squat.
Matty Hayden walking down the wicket.
Matty Bell's sprint across the crease that makes Steve Smith look absolutely stoic instead.
Craig McMillan facing square leg.
Chanderpaul's crab walk.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How was this guy ever picked for NZ :laugh: It reminds me of the old days of the De Groen's, the Sua's and the Walmsley's
McCullum liked his net session efforts. If Hesson had emailed former CW poster Blocky, he'd have been told Mathieson always looks fearsome in the nets.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
McCullum liked his net session efforts. If Hesson had emailed former CW poster Blocky, he'd have been told Mathieson always looks fearsome in the nets.
:laugh: He doesn't look that fearsome in the Georgie Pie Super Smash let alone international cricket although Milne isn't much better. He must be the softest ball 150kph bowler this side of Sami.

Athlai

Not Terrible
All Black Owen Franks opens up on NZ's 'crazy' binge drinking culture | Stuff.co.nz

That's why we can't have our Ryders in the side. You can't expect someone with alcohol issues to be able to play top level sport and not have further issues due to the environment that NZ has created for its athletes.
This is a stretch.

Rugby isn't cricket, and the cultures aren't the same either. Nor is this really specifically "athlete culture" but just NZ culture in general. It also doesn't necessarily dictate that someone with alcohol issues isn't able to compete in top level sport but seems to imply that there are people competing at top level sport with alcohol issues.

I don't think a Ryder who still drinks should come back to the side but argument here is rubbish.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just realised that one of my main sporting goals is to appear in a kippax compilation
Haha you did once provide CW with video of yourself and ask for tips, I remember now. I should've put you in the Under-25 pace bowlers A-Z against your will.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
IMO Cricket is worse than Rugby for binge drinking at club level. I've played both sports and remember far more nights with incident with cricketers than I do rugby players relating to alcohol. Hell, Twilight Cricket is basically an excuse to binge drink while playing the game.

It's definitely an issue at all levels of sport, and when someone does have drinking problems, how do you expect them to be moderate in that environment?

Full credit to Dave Warner for being able to handle it in the Australian camp, although I dare say had he played ten years prior with Shane "Thirsty" Warne in the unit, he probably wouldn't have been able to.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Haha you did once provide CW with video of yourself and ask for tips, I remember now. I should've put you in the Under-25 pace bowlers A-Z against your will.
One thing that stood out to me from that video is that all those guys would get a game for zimbos and Bangladesh and I mean all of them. They all looked OK. ( at least as good as Kyle Jarvis )
There were also some really promising clips like jamieson etc

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's a pity we can't get the same video for the batsman as you need at least twenty deliveries to size a batsman up properly due to the multitude of shots you are required to know.

Blain

U19 Captain
Young can't score hundys.. Much like NZ players of the past funnily enough. Shame, if he could have converted a couple more 100's this year he may have jumped Nicholl's (don't think either are just ready yet).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is a stretch.

Rugby isn't cricket, and the cultures aren't the same either. Nor is this really specifically "athlete culture" but just NZ culture in general. It also doesn't necessarily dictate that someone with alcohol issues isn't able to compete in top level sport but seems to imply that there are people competing at top level sport with alcohol issues.

I don't think a Ryder who still drinks should come back to the side but argument here is rubbish.
Kinda disagree tbh.

The ABs may have transcended the culture a bit recently, but it is there throughout NZ sport. Obviously it's worse at the non-professional level.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sure, but it may imply that the attack as a whole is better when all three of them play. It's clearly the best combination.
That's a pretty easy and quick conclusion to draw. But what also should be taken into account is: are the games in question played at home? Are they on 'seam friendly' wickets? Was Wagner the 3rd or 4th seamer in the games in question?

There are other factors involved which can contribute to the stats looking the way they do. We know that certain bowlers stats are better when they played with other quality bowlers in the same time, as they hunted in a pack, or had someone who could more than adequately maintain pressure for the best bowler to capitalise on. 15-17 games is a bit of a small sample size tbh, especially when it's not consecutively.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
It's a pity we can't get the same video for the batsman as you need at least twenty deliveries to size a batsman up properly due to the multitude of shots you are required to know.
Rigor only needed four

Front Foot Defense
Back Foot Defense
Front Foot Leave
Back Foot Leave

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Young can't score hundys.. Much like NZ players of the past funnily enough. Shame, if he could have converted a couple more 100's this year he may have jumped Nicholl's (don't think either are just ready yet).
Yip, I'd hold him back until he masters that at this level. Two more rounds to go, pressure building, tick, tick, tick.

Which is a bugger as there is a test spot screaming out to be filled.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What's the go with Keir Bettley to those in the know.

I realise he just tonned up but you don't hear his name much at fc level and there used to be big raps on him.