• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Doom and Gloom Thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, does Mathews have his own thread? I remember when he first came on the scene I lumped him in with Kieron Pollard as one of those hyped limited overs players when in reality he's closer to Kallis.

Flem274*

123/5
On one side it is perfectly acceptable to give room to Kaushal (spinner) so that he can develop and on the other side discard someone like Thiri. What's the cut off limit?
when kaushal hasn't spend 20 odd tests not making the grade.

i rate thirimanne's application and bottle. a little bit of improvement in his overall game will take him a long way, but he isn't good enough right now imo.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Kaushal reported for suspect action,blessing in disguise for Sri Lanka I reckon.He did hardly anything in the 5 recent tests he's played save for that first innings of the second test against Pakistan,and gifted the opposition runs and then got out their tailenders to make his average look half respectable.He was erratic,expensive and lost them the third test against Pakistan almost by himself.No way should Dilruwan Perera have been dropped for him and hopefully he gets another run in the side now.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There is no future in investing in dilruwan. Kaushal is spinning version of a raw express bowler with lot to improve. But he gives it a rip and that's the most important for a spinner.

Reporting him is a farce. Only reason I think because he bowled something likea doosra.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Kaushal has variations and all but he does not have the flight curve to be successful as a spinner. Early days and I'll be glad to be proved wrong in future honestly.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
It's not doom and gloom as far as I am concerned- yes we are in transition and we have lost quality players but they replaced quality players before them and I am sure the youngsters of silva, dimuth, thirrimanne, Mathews and Chandimal will come good in time. What we really need is for our quicker bowlers get gain fitness and not breakdown after each game. A pace attack of Pradeep, eranga, chameera and lakmal looks decent once Prasad retires and spin wise we need to find someone( personally not convinced that kaushal is the guy myself ).
It will be a big climb but I am sure we will get back to a level where we are competing in time..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whatever happened to the never ending line of left arm seamers from SL? Is there any left armer who is good at the FC level?

smash84

The Tiger King
In the absence of batting talent, Hesson would moneyball it and pick a few batting no-rounder/spinners the way Bangladesh do historically. Drop Kaushal for a couple of years until he's more accurate, Load up with 3 pace bowlers then a million left arm dart bowlers who can bat. Everyone in the side also has to be a gun fielder.

Not sure that it's the best way forward but they've persisted with the so-called talented players like Thirimanne for so long that we're seeing the part of the Emperor that might be upper leg hair but also could be pubes..
:lol:

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
They are certainly declining in terms of quality. However, they will still will always put up good fights and hence will still win games but not as much as they use to. They certainly won't win that many series that's for sure. I predict they will fall below Bangladesh in ODI rankings in the next few years and fight amongst West Indies and Pakistan. Only Matthews and Herath are class.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The thing with SL cricket is that so many guys playing cricket in that country seem to be blessed with the ability to do something unorthodox. So you never really know where the next great player might come from. I certainly did not think Mahela would actually develop the temperament to turn into the great player like he did and I had no idea that a Sanga even existed when they were trying to move on from the Aravinda & Arjuna era. So we certainly should not be so hasty in damning this side. They might have a rough ride for a couple of years but don't put it past them to be among the top 3 with just 1 or 2 good additions to even the current set.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yes i think it was tough for him because as a Sri Lankan, he didn't get the same level of respect that a foreign coach would have done from some of the players and officials..i wanted him to get the job but guess it just was too big a step for him at this stage..the search starts again for SLC

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I honestly think they should consider Greg Chappell. While his style is divisive at times, I honestly believe he is a good coach for a largely young team.