• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath flexed 12 degrees myth

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love how everyone just posts random articles and statements by players/former players as facts

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm at work and only here to make dick jokes but here you go you smarmy git.

McGrath himself:

"McGrath also endorsed the ICC proposal after initial reservations. "When I found out that the testing could be done in match situations with high-speed cameras, and a few of us had already been tested, I started thinking it was a good idea," he said. "It already shows that people like myself and Shaun Pollock who people say have pretty sound actions, that we have a bit of a flex of 10-12 degrees."

Murali denies slur as Aussies fire up - Cricket - www.smh.com.au

The limit at the time for fast bowlers was 10 degrees, which was a completely arbitrary limit made up by no one. The argument here isn't that they were doing anything wrong, it's that the guideline was actually just wrong.

TNT to run away now.. :p

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not agreeing or disagreeing with either side, but taking McGrath's comments as somehow being proof that the stats are accurate is bizarre. I doubt he poured over the research and thought to himself "yep, this is accurate, I will say this in an interview tomorrow", he was just repeating what other people had said offhand and mentioning it in answering a question that he was probably only half paying attention to.

Obviously the whole "McGrath knew it was wrong but didn't want to get involved" thing is a bit far-fetched, but thinking that the proof is McGrath said it" is very strange.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Eh? It isnt supposed to be. TNTs original line was Murali made **** up. The quotes are to point out that its clear testing took place.

The testing process may have been inaccurate but that isnt the point.

watson

Banned
The following article was published Oct 2014.

In 2005, the ICC brought in a new law giving tolerance of 15 degrees of extension to the bowling-arm elbow. To understand this better, just think of a clock. Ball release is at 12 o'clock. The correct measurement of the extension of the arm is from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock. Interestingly, it wasn't Muthiah Muralidaran who caused the new law in 2005 to come into place. It was Glenn McGrath's action.

To the naked eye, McGrath's action looked classical and pure and no one questioned it. Amazingly, the Tests proved that McGrath bowled with an elbow extension of close to 10 degrees. What the scientists and bio-mechanists were saying was, if you can see there is an irregularity, then the bowler probably has an illegal action.

Read more: ICC on right course by attacking chucking problem by degrees
And this June 2011;

A thorough biomechanical analysis of bowling actions around the world concluded that virtually all bowlers flexed their elbows to some extent. Even bowlers like Glenn McGrath and Shaun Pollock, perennial examples of bowlers with near-perfect bowling actions, were found to flex their elbows through about 8-10 degrees. Off-spinners are usual suspects, but even leg-spinners, for whom you would expect chucking to be physically impossible, were found to have illegal actions as per the original law.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/artic...till-does-not-have-a-satisfactory-answer-3221
So now I'm confused (well at least I'm honest unlike most people)

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm so glad I was around when the ICC debuted in-game/video testing that allowed us to make an accurate decision on whether a bowler was chucking (down to the exact amount in degrees) without them having to be sent off to a biomechanics expert. I'm equally happy that this was the dawn of an approach that continues up until this day and not one that was apparently used once and then disappeared from the face of the earth.