• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What A Mess!!

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Thought you guys maybe interested in this article which I found on www.news.com.au

No wonder players don't take the Umpires seriously!! What do you guys think should happen in this case??

Umpiring blunder robs Kiwis

From our wire services

KINGSTOWN: Furious New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming has slammed the performance of the umpires for costing his side the final match of the one-day series against the West Indies here.

Fleming laid an official complaint with match referee Wasim Raja of Pakistan after the home side won the match by four wickets off the final ball, chasing a target of 292 to claim the five-match series 3-1.

West Indies scored 15 runs off the last over, bowled by an out of sorts Daryl Tuffey, after umpires Billy Doctrove of Jamaica and Asoka de Silva of Sri Lanka told Fleming that Paul Hitchcock had bowled his 10 overs.

A scoring miscalculation from the official scorers meant Hitchcock, New Zealand's form bowler, had only completed nine but that didn't filter through to the middle.

"It made me and the team very, very wild," Fleming said.

"We asked for clarification throughout the day but Paul Hitchcock was still given an over less and it's cost us the match and the series.

"Both umpires admitted they made a mistake and it's just basic incompetence.

"We asked five times and they got clarification from the third and fourth umpires. Paul started his eighth over, picked up Carl Hooper, then three overs later they said he only had an over left."

Fleming fronted Raja immediately after the game, which ended in chaos with a pitch invasion from the 10,000-strong crowd.

"I expressed my disgust at their incompetence in getting information to the captain and the match referee will deal with it.

"He was very disappointed.

"We definitely should have defended that score. Nine out of 10 times you score 290 you should win, but we just weren't accurate enough and didn't create enough pressure."

West Indies captain Hooper was full of praise for his side, who haven't always chased totals well.

"I thought it was a magnificent effort to overhaul a score like that. We were confident, we haven't had a problem scoring at five and six an over against their attack."

Earlier, West Indian opener Shivnarine Chanderpaul smashed New Zealand out of the match.

The homeside needed 15 runs off the last over and the brave Chanderpaul lifted Daryl Tuffey to the boundary off the last three balls of the match to overcame New Zealand's 291 and win by four wickets.

That gave the West Indies a 3-1 series win.

Chanderpaul retired hurt on 13 when struck on the left arm by Shane Bond and he returned with 10 balls left in the innings at 6-274.

Bond bowled a solid 49th over, conceding five runs and taking the wicket of Ryan Hinds, but Tuffey couldn't repeat the effort as the packed house of 10,000 invaded the field.

It meant New Zealand were yet to win a one-day series in the Caribbean in three attempts after they trailed 0-2 in the series after three games.

The question needs to be asked, when is the Panel changed?

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Changing umpiring panels won't stop things like this happening.... stuffing up sometimes is part of being human, and unless we start having robots as umpires with built-in Skyline for lbws, superman-like magnifying glass for close catches and some fantastic hearing for the fine 'snicks', sometimes bad umpiring may cost (or win) games.

Most of these things even themselves out in time, however...

(however, I do agree that Simon Taufell should be on the panel! Go Simon!!!).

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Changing umpiring panels won't stop things like this happening.... stuffing up sometimes is part of being human, and unless we start having robots as umpires with built-in Skyline for lbws, superman-like magnifying glass for close catches and some fantastic hearing for the fine 'snicks', sometimes bad umpiring may cost (or win) games.

Most of these things even themselves out in time, however...

(however, I do agree that Simon Taufell should be on the panel! Go Simon!!!).
Finally!! Someone who agrees that Simon should be on the Panel!!

Andre

International Regular
Simon Taufel is a great umpire. Fellow NSWCA umpire with myself, he should be on the international panel!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Why are they still using domestic umpires? or why didn't the ICC Ref take control of the situation?

the decisions that Nicholls & Doctrove made during the series were almost bias.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Simon Taufel is a great umpire. Fellow NSWCA umpire with myself, he should be on the international panel!
Me too Andre!! I was trained by him in February and will continue to be trained by him in July!!

[Edited on 6/17/02 by Eyes_Only]

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Why are they still using domestic umpires? or why didn't the ICC Ref take control of the situation?

the decisions that Nicholls & Doctrove made during the series were almost bias.
Beats me...but the whole thing is a joke!!

Does anyone know why the Umpires didn't come from the ICC Panel??

Andre

International Regular
Me too Andre!! I was trained by him in February and will continue to be trained by him in July!!

[Edited on 6/17/02 by Eyes_Only]
Really? I am the youngest member of the NSWCA panel, at 16 years old (i think I am anyway). Have you been going to the meetings recently?

[Edited on 6/18/02 by Andre]

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
For all one day internationals now there is one neutral umpire and one local. Asoka de Silva was the neutral umpire for this game.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
LOL!! Can we help it if we are members of the best Umpires Association and have been trained by the best Umpire in the game??

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
For all one day internationals now there is one neutral umpire and one local. Asoka de Silva was the neutral umpire for this game.
That's all well and good but i have never heard of the other guy!! Who the heck is he and where is he from?? :I :confused: