• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad always bowls well, he's my favorite English pacer since Headley.

On ouR side if we use a rotation policy on our quicks, whether that wise or not, people will be angry. The selectors will neeed to either pick all 4 or their best 3 and a spinner and stick to those selected unless they break down.
I've always held Broad in far higher esteem than Jimmy "28 from an over" Anderson

TheJediBrah

I'd hate to see your opinion on Stokes whose economy makes Anderson look like Hedley Verity.
Stokes is a gun. All I remember of him was one day when he was reverse swinging it both ways a mile and was virtually unplayable. Might have been Sydney.

For all I know that may have been aberration though.

ftr I don't have any opinion on Anderson re economy, I just rate Broad higher in general. The nickname was in jest.

FBU

International Debutant
16 man squad I think

6 batsmen - Root Cook Westley Stoneman Hameed Malan... talk of multiple openers which includes Jennings (Hales could replace Malan)
2 keepers - Bairstow Foakes (Buttler 10.25, Foakes 28.90 but I would take Davies 52.14)
2 spinners - Ali Crane (hope Ali doesn't break a finger, or they consider playing 2 at any time)
6 bowlers - Anderson Broad Woakes Roland-Jones Stokes Wood

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Some of them England bowlers are guaranteed to be knackered come Ashes. Wood is almost a certainty.

FBU

International Debutant
Some of them England bowlers are guaranteed to be knackered come Ashes. Wood is almost a certainty.
I'd give Wood Perth and Brisbane instead of Anderson.

Melbourne - Pattinson 19.08, Anderson 23.11, Starc 32.20, Broad 34.33, Hazelwood 41.85
Adelaide - Hazelwood 16.33, Starc 20.22, Anderson 35.50, Broad 47.00
Brisbane - Pattinson 22.00, Broad 25.11, Hazlewood 30.84, Starc 31.82, Anderson 89.80
Sydney - Hazelwood 20.72, Anderson 26.92, Broad 30.50, Pattinson 32.14, Starc 36.00
Perth - Starc 29.33, Broad 33.33, Anderson 48.50, Hazlewood 52.33,

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Melbourne - Pattinson 19.08, Anderson 23.11, Starc 32.20, Broad 34.33, Hazelwood 41.85
Brisbane - Pattinson 22.00, Broad 25.11, Hazlewood 30.84, Starc 31.82, Anderson 89.80
Sydney - Hazelwood 20.72, Anderson 26.92, Broad 30.50, Pattinson 32.14, Starc 36.00
You have got to be ****ing kidding me???

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Is this a joke post?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Might as well just chuck Hales and Butler in the team on the basis that they might do something spectacular every now and then. Whatever happens during the rest of the summer there is no one amongst the current brand of failures who are likely to make runs in Australia.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Might as well just chuck Hales and Butler in the team on the basis that they might do something spectacular every now and then. Whatever happens during the rest of the summer there is no one amongst the current brand of failures who are likely to make runs in Australia.
I could happily see Hales in the squad. Not Buttler though. I gather he's taken the hint and signed up to the Bangladesh domestic 2020 league.

flibbertyjibber

Hales at 5 on the Aussie pitches may work. Then again Malan looks set for a score today against that great attack at Edgbaston so we may not give him a chance and be stuck with Malan.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh Stokes is certainly a wicket taker but his economy is ridiculous.
His strike rate is more of a problem than his economy rate imo.
7 wickets in the recent SA series and 86 wickets in 35 tests before this one.
None of which makes him a poor bowler, but not yet a consistent threat at test match level, despite his occasional golden spells.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hales at 5 on the Aussie pitches may work. Then again Malan looks set for a score today against that great attack at Edgbaston so we may not give him a chance and be stuck with Malan.
How many top 5 batsmen do you think we'll take? If it's only six of them, then maybe Hales gets the gig as he could conceivably do a job as spare middle order batsman or spare opener.