• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's 3rd seamer at the Gabba

Who would you pick as NZ's third seamer at the Gabba?

• Henry

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Bracewell

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Wagner

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Milne

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Wheeler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neesam/Anderson to strengthen the batting or to play a 2nd spinner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Injuries aside, most of NZ's test team to play Australia looks easy to select, but the 3rd seamer is quite open. Who would you pick and why?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's certainly in contention, but I don't think it's that open. Henry is the incumbent, hasn't done much wrong and I think he'll enjoy the conditions with some extra bounce off the wicket. He's also the most likely to find any movement if there is some. I think he's probably 70% likely to play. Bracewell has done well in Aus but his natural conditions are more nibbly. Milne would be ***y but not an option yet.

With Milne if we want to be safe, make him get through a full first class season before he's an option in the test side. Neesham/Anderson's presence makes him slightly more selectable than he would be in their absence, but still, we can't afford to be a bowler down.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
With Milne if we want to be safe, make him get through a full first class season before he's an option in the test side.
I voted for Milne but agree with this. Fingers crossed he's been injury prone on account of being young and hopefully goes better in the coming years.

Waqar Younis would have been proud of some of the deliveries and spells Milne's been putting down lately.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too early to say tbh. Henry would have to be favourite, but don't discard Bracewell in Aust conditions and Milne is a very slim outside chance, if he suddenly shows between now and then that he's not only in amazing rhythm, but shows his body is up to the rigors of a test match. it's difficult to see how he could prove that.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm actually tending back to Wagner. I was a Wagner-denier.

I felt the attack in England was too samey, and Henry not suited to 3rd seamer.

This also may just be a lovers tiff over-reaction by me- as Henry didn't live up to my ridiculously high expectations with a duke. Tough standards for a debutant, but let's be honest - his opposite number was also a debutant and out-bowled him.

Siddle in 5th test was a good reminder that overlooking your 3rd seamer because you have newer, ***ier guys you want to squeeze into a forever shiny-ball dream is not always a good idea.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Henry would be my preference though if he's bowling erratically as he has lately then that opens the door for any of Wagner, Bracewell or Milne. Selection should be based on form leading up to test and expected conditions - I'm not sure what to expect on either of those fronts as yet.

Wagner and Bracewell's stocks go up if both our allrounders are injured, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

morgieb

Given the way that McHesson wants their 3rd seamer to bowl I don't think Henry is the best option even though he's probably the best bowler of the lot. I'll go Milne, his pace would make him a valuable commodity in a 5-man attack, and he'll be important in knocking off the tail which is important against Australia.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Duffy needs more cricket, and Australia is never an ideal place to debut a 21 year old.

If we had a genuine all-rounder then I'd say Milne. As we don't I think it's a toss-up between Wagner and Henry. I tend to side with Henry just, but he'll need to show some better form in the early rounds of the PS before I make up my mind.

morgieb

Duffy needs more cricket, and Australia is never an ideal place to debut a 21 year old.

If we had a genuine all-rounder then I'd say Milne. As we don't I think it's a toss-up between Wagner and Henry. I tend to side with Henry just, but he'll need to show some better form in the early rounds of the PS before I make up my mind.
Aren't Anderson or Neesham fit?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Neither of them are good enough bowlers.
Hmmm.

Corey used to be good enough. But he is injured and may not be able to come back strongly enough with the limited time available to him after he recovers.

I came into the thread to say definitely Milne but then that was because I was thinking Corey was good enough to be a genuine 4th seamer and allow Milne to bowl break neck speeds and then rest for a whole session before coming back.

New Zealand likes to gamble with its seamers and we don't choose the conservative option very often. Whether you like it or not Milne has at least a 40% chance of being picked.

Henry did not impress in England and fell victim to not getting enough bounce and carry. He earned some crucial edges that fell short of the keeper. This was the difference between a solid tour and a dissapointing one.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand likes to gamble with its seamers and we don't choose the conservative option very often.
That's not true.

NZ has been pretty conservative with its seamer selection. Both Wagner and Bracewell were given very long leashes before they were ousted by Henry.

The gambling has been in selecting 2 even 3 spinners. But it's worked out all right.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's not true.

NZ has been pretty conservative with its seamer selection. Both Wagner and Bracewell were given very long leashes before they were ousted by Henry.

The gambling has been in selecting 2 even 3 spinners. But it's worked out all right.
I enjoy being challenged but I am going to hold my ground on this because I think we have a different understanding of conservative and gambling.

Firstly NZ is loyal - we are not like England of the 80s. So yes you could argue that means conservative in that we are slow to bring in someone better but I would just call that loyalty.

What I mean by "gambling" is that given the choice between a solid player like a Siddle (I know what I am getting) and a Starc (I don't know what I am getting but he has a massive ceiling)
we always choose the Starc. Unless the siddle is the incumbent.

We chose Hamish Bennett in a test ahead of a more proven (yet not very good at the time) Tim Southee. Hamish offered more pace and had a bigger upside.

We picked Henry in this last tour ahead of the more steady Wagner and also steady Bracewell because again Henry offered a bigger upside.

I will not mention Arnel I don't think he fits into any theory of mine. But those two examples I have listed above are consistent with what I have seen over the past eight years.

Milne leading the poll...
I think a lot of people's brains say Wagner (or Henry) but NZ fans, like yourself, really dream of a Milne demolition 10+ wickets and then a WACA series win with knighthoods imminent for Sir Boult and Sir Milne.

My brain says Wagner is best suited, but I will not criticise the selectors for picking Milne over him. But I will lose self control if Corey Anderson plays.

Last edited: