• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BT Sport to show Ashes in 2017-18

greg

International Debutant
Reckon BT Sport will get their own comms team...it'd be good to hear a different set of commentators in the UK (not saying the Sky one is bad)
£350m over five years to broadcast cricket in the middle of the night? Madness. Cricket Australia must be laughing their socks off.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
£350m to broadcast cricket in the middle of the night? Madness. Cricket Australia must be laughing their socks off.
Its a reminder not that they need it for the other sports, play Sky and BT Sport off against each other and you could make so much money

Cricket geek through and through, but yeah overnight test cricket is aimed at the absolute die hards.

greg

International Debutant
Reckon BT Sport will get their own comms team...it'd be good to hear a different set of commentators in the UK (not saying the Sky one is bad)
If footballs any guide it'll be all the usual faces + Michael Owen equivalent! With Mervyn Kitchen to offer his opinion on the umpires ;)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
BT are paying massive amounts of money to nick all this stuff from Sky, it'll be interesting to see if it's sustainable.

I don't see them even wanting any of the Sky commentators.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Vaughan seems to freelance around a bit. Bound to get the gig.

And KP's agent will be angling for an easy payday.

greg

International Debutant
BT are paying massive amounts of money to nick all this stuff from Sky, it'll be interesting to see if it's sustainable.

I don't see them even wanting any of the Sky commentators.
It'll be interesting to see the ECB approach when the England rights come up again in a few years (Sky currently have them until 2019 i think). Whilst the Sky deal has always been seen as being all about money (vs poor defenceless terrestrial TV) a major part of their 'moral' selling point has been their overall commitment to the sport. The fact that they were broadcasting away tests when nobody else ever considered it. The fact that they show county cricket and womens cricket. etc etc. Are BT prepared to make that sort of commitment (I doubt it?), and will it matter if they try to blow Sky out of the water financially?

greg

International Debutant
Actually of course, there are two different issues - their commentary team for the Ashes and their commentary team for the other series (that nobody will watch). I can't see any reason why they won't just take the Channel 9 feed for the rest.