• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke tribute thread

slippy888

International Captain
One of the cricket greats retired today and it is a sad day, for me Clarke will go down a cricket legend he was one of the best attacking batsman in all formats of the game, and also his captaincy was a pleasure to watch one of the few guys in the history of cricket prepared to lose a game and go for the win.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw his 200 at Adelaide against India a few years ago, the one where Ricky got one too. Went on a road trip with 3 mates to Adelaide to see the entire test, was good stuff, Clarkey was batting so well. Only test I've seen that wasn't held at the SCG

Spark

Global Moderator
It still genuinely boggles my mind that he played that 151 at Cape Town. Less the amount of runs he scored, but the way he scored them. Can't think off-hand of any other innings where there was such an immense gap between the ease of batting for him and for literally everyone else (until the pitch flattened out and the team threw in the towel). Everyone else played as if facing ATG-standard bowling on a seaming nightmare, he batted like it was a club net.

stephen

At his peak he was as good as anyone who ever played the game.

However his longevity means that I will think of him as a "just below" the upper tier of batsmen. He wasn't quite a Ponting, Waugh or G. Chappell but deserves to be remembered just below their class. His efforts in 2012 and in the wake of the Phil Hughes tragedy will be the two things I remember most about him. Unfortunately I never saw his 151 at Cape Town.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
One of the cricket greats retired today and it is a sad day, for me Clarke will go down a cricket legend he was one of the best attacking batsman in all formats of the game, and also his captaincy was a pleasure to watch one of the few guys in the history of cricket prepared to lose a game and go for the win.
well said. Michael Clarke was a really great player and I consider it a great pleasure to have seen him play. Good luck Michael.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Played lots of amazing innings. The two Cape Town ones are probably the main standouts, hugely impressive for completely opposite reasons. But I'll also really remember the Lords century in 09 and the South Africa doubles, which might be forgotten amid the Cape Town ones and the triple.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah the Lord's 09 ton was outstanding. Easy to look at the scorecard now and say it was meaningless but I was ****ting bricks overnight. Couldn't sleep in fact.

adub

International Captain
His best was just unbelievably good. When he got into the God zone I reckon I've only seen Lara and maybe Viv make good bowling look village like Clarke. Not perhaps consistent enough to be at the very highest shelf overall, but some of his innings are as good as batsmanship has ever reached.

Spark

Global Moderator
Played lots of amazing innings. The two Cape Town ones are probably the main standouts, hugely impressive for completely opposite reasons. But I'll also really remember the Lords century in 09 and the South Africa doubles, which might be forgotten amid the Cape Town ones and the triple.
The 230 at Adelaide was ridiculous. As close as he got to replicating Cape Town in terms of ease of batting - and since it was at Adelaide, it genuinely looked like he'd waltzed into a grade match at times and just started to hit boundaries whenever he felt like it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It still genuinely boggles my mind that he played that 151 at Cape Town. Less the amount of runs he scored, but the way he scored them. Can't think off-hand of any other innings where there was such an immense gap between the ease of batting for him and for literally everyone else (until the pitch flattened out and the team threw in the towel). Everyone else played as if facing ATG-standard bowling on a seaming nightmare, he batted like it was a club net.
Ridiculous innings. One of the best of the last 10 years or so.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's tragic that his back gave away as soon as he was in the peak of his powers. 2012 Clarke was pretty much wtf level of excellence.

Up there with Lara and KP in terms of "ability to play innings he shouldn't". Will be missed.

adub

International Captain
The 230 at Adelaide was ridiculous. As close as he got to replicating Cape Town in terms of ease of batting - and since it was at Adelaide, it genuinely looked like he'd waltzed into a grade match at times and just started to hit boundaries whenever he felt like it.
Michael Clarke 230 v South Africa in Adelaide | cricket.com.au

Unfortunately they cut out a lot of the way he treated Morkel like a park cricketer. Was simply hitting decent balls wherever he felt like.

stephen

Back problems really seem to be the one thing that batsmen have a tough time getting past. Phil Jacques was never the same after his back operation and his presence at or near his peak would have been very handy. Even now he's not that old and could have given us a few more years of output if not for the back.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cool stat about Clarke; 57 of his 115 matches have been against England or India. Would've been over 50% if he'd been fit for the rest of the India series last season. 50% of his tons and nearly 50% of his runs have come in those games.

Wonder if anyone else with that many games has similar stats. A clear player of the big three era.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Exhibit A in the 'stats aren't everything' argument

Beyond me how he hasn't wound up with a 50+ average. It's been said before but the 151 at Cape Town was special, probably the best innings I've seen.

Saved his best for the best teams of his era as well which sticks him up a notch or two in my estimation as well.

Great captain as well. Real shame he wasn't English, sections of the Australian public and media frankly did not deserve him as a player or as a captain.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cool stat about Clarke; 57 of his 115 matches have been against England or India. Would've been over 50% if he'd been fit for the rest of the India series last season. 50% of his tons and nearly 50% of his runs have come in those games.

Wonder if anyone else with that many games has similar stats. A clear player of the big three era.
This isn't really anything new. Border played 77 of his 153 Tests against England and the West Indies.