• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector: Openers for the Team of the 1990's

Your Openers for the Team of the 90's?

• Navjot Sidhu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alec Stewart

• Sherwin Campbell

• Aamer Sohail

• Grant Flower

• Bryan Young

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Went for Jayasuriya & Saeed just cuz I loved watching them both.

Even though they were still great (if not phenomenal) during the early 1990's, Gooch & Haynes really should be categorized as 80's players; considering they both made their debuts in the 70's & played throughout the entirety of the 80's.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gooch and Anwar

Jayasuriya can be picked too, if you want a 5th bowler.

Kirsten and Taylor were fine openers; but Taylor was not as consistent as the other 2 and Anwar was more dominant than Kirsten while scoring as many runs if not more. Sidhu was an amazing player of spin, and scored some gritty hundreds in pace-friendly conditions against the best too - but Gooch and Anwar were both too good.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Anwar and Slats are my favourites from the time. I'm not sure their styles would work together but it'd be great to see them in full flow at the crease